Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Resistol/Stetson Factory Store

Davidson

One of the Regulars
I live in the Dallas area, so I thought it would be interesting to visit, although I wasn't expecting much. I went earlier this week with my son. We're both interested in wearing hats, and nicer ones than the gimme caps and flop hats etc we were used to.

The store is in old downtown Garland, right by the factory. It's a pretty relaxed place. Most of the space, maybe 2/3, is taken up by cowboy hats, 1/3 Resistol, 1/3 Stetson. Even at factory outlet prices, nice cowboy hats aren't cheap.

But our interest was in the dress fur felt hats, and the straws. My son found a couple Dobbs stingy brims he liked a lot, and a Stetson Firense in dark brown. We found he looks good in a Homburg, but they only had wool. He also picked out a couple summer straws.

The dress hats are stacked by size on dusty racks, and you just have to dig in and see what you can find. Also, some hats are "seconds", so if you find one you like you need to check it over. I came away with two Temples and two Pinnacles, covering gray, brown, and black. I liked the Temple better than the Chatham, which has a lower crown. I came away with these four hats for $200+tax, which I thought was a good deal for those 4 hats. I got two browns, the Temple and Pinnacle brown color were quite different - the Pinnacle is a very rich chocolate brown.

The "hat guy" did a nice job with a little steam and a brush, cleaning and gently shaping the hats we selected.

I wanted a straw or two also, but the selection was pretty thin. I guess they sell more in spring and any returns have not started coming back until much later in the year.

There were only a few shoppers in the store. The checkout lady said Saturdays can be busy, but it's pretty quiet during the week. So if you live nearby, and enjoy a little bargain hunting on lunch hour, it could be a fun thing every now and then. They are open to 5:30 during the week, I think.

I'll try to get some pics of the hats up tomorrow. Any interest in pics of the outlet store? I could take them the next time I go by.

J.B.

Practically Family
¬°Ay Carumba! :eek:

If those two Stetson Pinnacles are the ones I'm thinking of, you may have scored the Deal Of The Millennium on 'em?!

Man, I'm gonna catch the next thing smokin' outta L.A. bound for Tejas! :D

Nice score!:)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Stetson Factory Store

When I was in Dallas a few months ago I went to the factory store . I bought four Stetson Pinnacles for way less than wholesale. Even I couldn't believe it!
Most of the hats there are returns by retailers due to them having defects. However, some of them are just returns due to a store refusnig the merchendise. The Pinnacle hats that I got had nothing wrong with them . I sold three of them in two days and the fourth was a present to a fellow lounger.
The good thing is that there arent many dress hat customers in Garland so there is a good chance you will find something that will fit you.

Steven
www.bencraft.com

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Hatco address and first try at hat photos

Hatco factory: 721 Marion Dr, Garland, 75042 - (972) 494-0337 (from Google). Just type in Hatco and Garland in Google and you get a link to a map. Easiest from the west (Garland is on northeast side of Dallas) is I-635 east to Forest exit, east on Forest until you say Oops, I just drove past it:)

My first try at taking pictures of hats and posting them. All the pics came out too light. Anyway, this is the brown Pinnacle:

Brown%20Pinnacle%20front.JPG

and inside:
brown%20pinnacle%20inside.JPG

If this works, I've got a few more:)

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Other Pinnacle and Temple pics

Here's the gray Pinnacle:

gray%20pinnacle%20side.JPG

And inside this one it only says "Genuine Beaver", not "100% Genuine Beaver" like the brown one. I think many of the hats there are maybe a year or two old.

gray%20pinnacle%20inside.JPG

And here's the brown and black Temples. Yes, it's really black, all my pics are two shades too light. Style is identical.

brown%20temple%20front.JPG

black%20temple%20front.JPG

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Sorry, images are disappearing...

Something or someone is stripping them out. They were there for an hour, and now they are gone from the posts. Any suggestions?

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Images from imageshack

RBH, Thanks for the tip. I'm a slow learner but I'll get there.

John in Covina, it was very much "a kid in a candy store" event. We sat on the floor and had hats all around us:) BTW, I really like how your hat and suit in your avatar pic match, just beautiful.

Promised hat pics, first the brown Pinnacle, outside and in:
brownpinnaclefrontco1.jpg

brownpinnacleinsiderf9.jpg

The gray Pinnacle, outside and in (note "The Hat Guys" on the sweat):
graypinnaclesideuo7.jpg

graypinnacleinsiderf8.jpg

The brown and black Temples. It's interesting, the Temples look just as nice as the Pinnacles in real life, but not in these pictures...
browntemplefrontur0.jpg

blacktemplefrontpc2.jpg

My 2 older daughters reside in Midland, TX and when my wife and I travel out there on Southwest we sometimes have to go through Dallas. I seriously doubt she'd go for an overnighter in Dallas-Ft. Worth just so I could go to Garland - even with an inticement of going to the Stockyards and Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth. Drats!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner