Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tropical weather suit

carldelo

One Too Many
I looked at those in their windows in a couple of DC branches last week, but didn't think to go in and check prices.... how are the sizings? I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while, but I'm not familiar with their sizing system. How is the trouser rise? Oh.... and do they allow you to buy a second pair?

Alas, I don't have first hand experience with Jos. A. Bank clothes, I just saw the sale listing.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just saw the db seersucker on the Jos A Bank website, and would spring for it if I had the money. Hopefully they'll have it in a while.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a wool sports jacket made from a fresco weave that is cooler than the seersucker. It is a very open weave. Partial lining and a light canvas will definitely help as well.
Lightweight wool fresco is an excellent choice especially if there is a breeze present but there's really no cloth that can effectively deal with 45 C (113 F) degree heat.

WH1

Practically Family
I looked at those in their windows in a couple of DC branches last week, but didn't think to go in and check prices.... how are the sizings? I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while, but I'm not familiar with their sizing system. How is the trouser rise? Oh.... and do they allow you to buy a second pair?

Edward
I have this very suit and it is one of my favorites. Very comfortable the rise is fairly high waisted (double pleat trousers). It is a nice cut, I am actually planning to use the trousers for reference for future MTM suits as they are the best fitting I have in off the rack.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Kansas it way to hot for a sport coat in the summer, but I'd consider wearing seersucker IF if came in solid colors. The whole seersucker stripe looks too much like an ice cream store outfit. I used to own a red / white striped seersucker shirt and the wife would always ask for ice cream. Not in a good way either.

Later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
. I used to own a red / white striped seersucker shirt and the wife would always ask for ice cream. Not in a good way either.
Too bad that you must endure taunting by your mate on your sartorial choices. I must be lucky as all the women I know love seersucker. Occasionally I'll get the ice cream comment from some bozo but it's always meant as a lighthearted attempt at humor.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Joe Banks Seersucker

I have two of these and the DB is slowly crawling its way off back order. I bought a 42L and the only thing I had to do was have the pants cuffed. I'm 6' 2" and 190 lbs.

I was wearing the tan SB version two weeks ago downtown (D.C.). I had my optimo Panama hat on my head, my Indy Magnoli Bromfield brown and white spectators, an orange silk pocket square and an orange tie. As I was walking to lunch, two women remarked appreciatively on the outfit, and as one "street" guy approached, he shouted out, "Hey man! You clean!", and then to everyone else in the vicinity, "That white m**********r clean!"

It was a great reaction. I didn't even mind being described as a white guy who was in a league with Oedipus. I knew it wasn't meant to be taken literally.

WH1

Practically Family
[It was a great reaction. I didn't even mind being described as a white guy who was in a league with Oedipus. I knew it wasn't meant to be taken literally.[/QUOTE]:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:D:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not to mention significant humidity.
Yep, the majority are in discomfort when the dew point (better indicator than humidity) hits 70, even at 27°C. And fabric breathability, no matter how efficient, does little to mitigate the situation.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
If it's that hot and you're in a suit, you just expect to sweat. I wear an undershirt and keep my jacket on. I can also testify to the quality of JosABank's seersucker, as I have three in my summer wardrobe. I'm sure the construction is awful - all fused together and gross, but you don't buy a summer suit expecting it to last twenty years. How good it looks will depend entirely on your tailor.

carldelo

One Too Many
If it's that hot and you're in a suit, you just expect to sweat. I wear an undershirt and keep my jacket on. I can also testify to the quality of JosABank's seersucker, as I have three in my summer wardrobe. I'm sure the construction is awful - all fused together and gross, but you don't buy a summer suit expecting it to last twenty years. How good it looks will depend entirely on your tailor.

I definitely agree with this. When I go dancing, I wear a dark suit, as "there will be sweat". People always suggest that I remove my jacket, but I'm still going to sweat like crazy, plus look terrible in a sweaty shirt, so I leave the jacket on in favor of looking moderately civilized in spite of the heat. For those suits I buy to wear dancing, I try to spend as little as possible while still looking good - they don't have a long lifespan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic