Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turning a cheap ebay cowboy hat into A SPAGHETTI WESTERN HAT

ukali1066

Practically Family
I picked this up for a princely 15 pounds including P+P [ U.K.]
They're all over ebay U.K. for around the same price, in brown or black
100% wool felt, simple sweatband inside but no liner.

The shape was a bog standard country singer/oil baron style....but I had a feeling some hot water would make it come alive :)

I soaked the whole hat with hot water from the shower head started reshaping it....I went for a Clint Eastwood "Man with no name" shape for the main body of the hat with a slight front pinch, the brim was very hard to work into any shape, I think because of the way the edge has been folded under and sewn instead of edged with material, the best remedy I found was to put it on the floor and steam iron the entire brim flat, then shape the brim front by hand afterwards.

Please forgive the use of a bath towel as a poncho ;) Yes I'm cheesy...

westernb4.jpg

Image3-1.jpg

Image4-1.jpg

Image1-3.jpg

kiltie

Practically Family
Ya know, that look could be many things: ironic, corny, contrived, earnestly misguided...many things. But I'll be darned if I don't think it's cool. Nice going - really good look all around!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ukali1066

Practically Family
I've been called many things in life...but corny is definately one of them :)

The wool was pretty easy to work...except the brim

It's going to be a good knock around hat for summer fishing to keep my face and neck from going lobster red...

GreatBritishWesterner

New in Town
Good job on it. There's something to be said about wool-felt hats - not expensive, but equally good when out in all weathers. It depends on what style you go for as well as colour and brim width. I know because I happen to have some hats myself (half in fur-felt and half in wool-felt).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner