Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Perhaps so... I had thought it a relatively modern piece... Navajo work in the style of Hopi. Hallmark is hard to read, perhaps R. R. Sewls or Lewis?

buckle1.jpg

buckle2.jpg

Michaelshane

One Too Many
It's hard to tell without having it in my hand.The texture is Hopi style,the buckle design looks Navajo.Hopi names are usually long,but I can't really read that one,could be Hopi,if it's hard to pronounce.If its Lewis it's Navajo.Not much help huh?

Orangegrad

Practically Family
My wife and I really like Peter Nelson's work. A Navajo silversmith in Arizona, Nelson specializes in jewelry that reflects the carpets crafted by his mother and sisters. Today my wife and I wore our complementing pieces: bolo, wrist cuff, pendant, ear-rings. I enjoy purchasing our jewelry from Dan Birk of Red Rock Trading Post.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Tommy Singer

I live in the Cleveland area. We have two fairly large Amish communities here in Ohio. Right in the middle of one of those Amish communities is a store that specializes in Native American jewelry and other South Western and Western products. A month ago my wife and I stopped in - my wife to purchase beads for her jewelry making hobby - and I picked up three Tommy Singer bolos. This store has many beautiful Navajo and Zuni products, but people go to this part of Ohio for the Amish influence, not Navajo jewelry. And the few people in the store were shopping mostly for the beads - not for the amazing women's jewelry that the owner has on display. And so these wonderful bolos were a bit tarnished, sitting in the Tommy Singer display case, just waiting for me. And since they'd been there several years, and the owner never changes her prices, I purchased three bolos for what I would have expected to pay for one. Below is a photo of one of these bolos I purchased, along with my Fed IV Deluxe in Moonstone.

howardeye

Practically Family
A friend of mine Mose McCormack just made this Snake Bracelet to commemorate the snake he found to put in his garden! Too bad it does not fit me....

howardeye

Practically Family
070913_3.jpg

Acquired a couple of vintage hand tooled belts... doing some buckle swapping. This one was a gift from my mother-in-law some years back. A close friend from the old neighborhood in the Bronx became a (non-native) surgeon on the Navajo reservation in the 1950s and 60s and they had some great visits to places not normally included on the tourist trek. Acquired at a trading post in Arizona, Navajo overlay artistry, I believe.

Overlay is my favorite. I wear bracelets and rings daily that are this style!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Back in the 70s and 80s I had a fairly large collection of Indian jewelry, mostly early 20th c. pawn. I wore a lot of it then, but times change, my style changed, and it got relegated to a display cabinet. When it got to be worth some serious frog pelts a few years ago I sold most of it. The only piece that I still wear is this concho belt that I made with some old conchos that were originally on an Indian-made hatband. The buckle is a fairly modern piece. You can see from the wear that it still gets a lot of use because it fits through the belt loops on jeans.

ConchoBelt1.JPG

Another of my favorites is this Mexican silver inlaid iron Charro buckle that dates to the 1870s. Not Indian, but still a fine piece that's in the same general genre.

CharroBuckle1.JPG

howardeye

Practically Family
My Fossil Mammoth Ivory Wolf Head carving with some beads I had laying around. Still debating on the style of clasp. This is a very large necklace with the head measuring 2 1/2 inches tall.

D9F40AEB-6E61-4110-82CF-65D17A987F26-610-00000077F65F5D02_zps64d1eac8.jpg

5ADB823E-66E7-4F44-8305-C8723B1FE6A6-610-000000782E16430B_zps5aca1838.jpg

I found this ring recently in an eBay auction. The seller had a large Mark Chee ring which drew a lot of interest and went quite high. I was happy that this one got lost in the shuffle. It was very reasonable. The large stone was advertised as Bisbee Lavender Pit turquoise and I think that is likely correct.

bisbee_ring1.jpg

bisbee_ring2.jpg

Wearing this pendant today... made by Kenneth Begay during his years at White Hogan in Scottsdale. It is a mountain, perhaps Picacho Peak north of Tucson. A little history on White Hogan and this great Navajo silversmith here. Many thanks to Howard Dye for his help with the cord.

begay_pendant.jpg

Ironwood Ring - White Hogan

Despite best laid plans, I just can't keep myself from watching. This modernist silver and ironwood ring has the White Hogan mark and LT for Leroy Thomas. Difficult to photograph.

ironwood_ring1.jpg

ironwood_ring2.jpg

ironwood_ring3.jpg

howardeye

Practically Family
This Halloween inspired collection showed up on my FB page today by Perry Null Trading Co created by Donovan Cadman. I will be looking into buying one if the price is right! There are some stunning stones in this group!

74DE4051-4335-46E1-8A81-BD59CF4F967D-493-0000005220281FDB_zpsf056d9be.jpg

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Steve Yellowhorse is a good friend of mine.I have made jewelry for Perry Null since 1972.I have done a lot of big game hunting with Perry.I just finished this bracelet today....
Tyrone turquoise.
5728E19A-C236-4B56-8A38-09D2DF57F4DC-418-00000023EDB49F97_zps283aa849.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum