Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

DesertDan

One Too Many
I learned last night that the mountain the pendant is based on is likely Picacho Peak just north of Tucson.

picacho-peak.jpg

Interesting. I have been to Picacho Peak many times (and driven past it many more :D) I am not aware of it having any significance as a sacred place. It is however the site of the westernmost battle of the Civil War and they conduct reenactments there each year.

Hi Dan... I think this peak might have had special meaning to Kenneth Begay rather than in Navajo culture. I did read about the Civil War connection.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Here's a small Squash Blossom I picked up in Colorado for my wife about 30+ years ago.
SquashBlossom_zps64048687.jpg

And a bit of a Coral necklace I found in Albuquerque.
Coralneckless_zpsf5db6de7.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice pieces... thanks for sharing them.

Here is an older unmarked ring I purchased recently. I thought the turquoise looked nice in the auction photos and it looks better in person.

no.8ring.jpg

howardeye

Practically Family
Beautiful stones and jewelry everyone. Here is something unusual I picked up from a Sioux Indian of the Lakota Tribe whose name is Mitchell Zephier. The stones are Quahog (wampum) which comes from a mussel shell in a New England Bay. I have made several creations with this rare and expensive material for my wife only.

howardeye

Practically Family
I guess it is a hard shell clam. To us hillbillies they are all the same! I have never been able to buy a thick enough shell to make the thicker beads. The more purple in the bead the higher the price also. Here is a link about wampum and the quahog shell pronounced quahoe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampum

howardeye

Practically Family
Nice work Michaelshane! If you are ever interested in ivory inlay I have a lot of thin pieces I will part with. I can only ship within the USA.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21