Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

persnick

Banned
Hi guys, I am considering buying a few pieces from a retailer I found online...but I am a little curious about pricing.

Do you guys know anything about turquoise silver jewelry pricing?

persnick

Banned
That is indeed a very profound approach to shopping. However, I was asking about people who are familiar with the costs for certain turquoise pieces--I don't want to overpay.

persnick

Banned
I'd love to show examples, but I was wondering if there was anyone in particular who had this kind of background...whether PMs would be better.

If you are talking about Native American jewelry, the prices range incredibly based on the collectibility of the item and its maker. While the value of silver and quality of turquoise has some bearing, the historical importance of the piece is the major driving factor. Using this link to last weeks completed Ebay auctions will give you a snapshot of the market.

If you are looking for more information on the various mines that produce(d) turquoise and their respective rarities and values, that is a different Google search.

Here is a recent find... a 1930s tourist era cigar band style ring - very light construction but beautifully crafted repoussé and stamping.

cigarbandring.jpg

This is ring is not very old I would guess but I was drawn to the design of the lapidary work. Maker's hallmark OC... have not found any reference to those initials.

picassoring.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
This is ring is not very old I would guess but I was drawn to the design of the lapidary work. Maker's hallmark OC... have not found any reference to those initials.

Absolutely beautiful Alan. Any idea what the age might be? This is quickly becoming one of my favorite threads.

Thank you Flute. I would guess this piece to be 1980s or later. Here are a couple of additional views. sorry for the poor quality. My iPhone struggles with the dynamic range of black hats and shiny jewelry.

picassoring2.jpg

Michaelshane

One Too Many
By the way,when I say sweat shop,that's not a bad thing around here.Its just what we in the industry call all the manufacturing shops in this area.They all have highly skilled craftsmen and women producing very nice jewelry.I have set up casting operations,trained inlayers,and silversmiths to work in several of the shops.They are also well paid.

Last edited:
I'd been looking for something to hang from an older strand of Navajo silver beads... found this tufa cast yei recently and have been enjoying wearing them together.

yei_beads.jpg

012513.jpg

This one set me back more than expected but I really wanted to acquire it. The silver work is by Hopi artisan Morris Robinson who was active for five decades beginning in the 1920s - this is likely from the 1930s with an early version of his hallmark of a snake and "H." The belt is probably not original to the ranger set, but it's a nice one and has four additional stamped pieces sewn to it with rawhide.

morrisbelt1.jpg

morrisbelt6.jpg

morrisbelt4.jpg

morrisbelt5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy