Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TUX!

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Here's a question: What type of shirt is worn with tails?

A formal shirt to be sure, and I'm guessing one with a stand-up collar. Would one just wear a tuxedo shirt?

As I mentioned before I'm looking to dress in Edwardian/Victorian formal wear for a party I've got coming up. Though the set of tails I have are from the 30s, I doubt any Jow Schmoe will know the difference, and this way I get to keep a cool set of vintage tails! Anyway, I need a shirt... suggestions?

Well now, if you look closely at the catalog sheet I posted on page two of this thread, You will see a man in tails. More closely---because I have the original ;) ---you see that he is wearing a shirt with vertical pleats. I have one of these that I wear with my tails. The pleats end where the vest begins. I suppose you could wear a flat front shirt as well but I prefer the pleated front. I am sure you do not want to wear a shirt with the separate button on collar. They can be quite stiff. :p

Regards to all,

J

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Is it safe to stick my head up.....

and resurrect this thread.....

My first foray into vintage clothing was a pair of tails I bought from Art Fawcett. They are a beautiful pair from 1932 and I initially bought them for the party I was having for my 30th birthday. There are not a lot of thrift shops that have good vintage in Australia, so thank god vintage silhouettes was on the web at the time.

The theme of the party was that it was new years eve 1929 and the party was "Goodbye to the 20's". All the guests had to dress 20's style and I wore my tails with a modern marcella shirt, vest and bowtie. At least the tails were authentic! My girlfriend of 2 months was there with me in a beaded flapper dress and cloche and she looked wonderful.

That girl became my wife around two years later and we enjoyed the party theme so much that we decided our bridal party would also be 20's style, so I had to update my tails outfit. Thank goodness for Ebay, I was able to add the following:

*A genuine Arrow marcella formal shirt, with single cuffs that take cufflinks, that buttons up at the back with one button and the top stud at the back. Had to have the cuffs lengthened but found a tailor that would do it using the ample tail of the shirt without doing too much damage.

*A genuine arrow wing collar.

*A genuine marcella vest with three buttons, that had a full back not a belt back.

* A vintage collapsable topper from the early 30's. Got it refurbished at the Strand Hatters in Sydney. It is a fairly high one too. Higher than the one we saw in one of your avatar's root.

* To finish off I added a beautiful white tassled scarf and white gloves.

We got married in a beautiful old church, in a very historic Sydney suburb, and my groomsmen and I had a quick drink before we got to the church in a pub built in the 1800's. Some of the old timers there commented to me that they had not seen a gent so well dressed since the early 40's. A huge compliment!

I still have my tails, they still fit and they are my pride and joy. Just wish I had more opportunity to wear them.

Wildroot - would love to see some pics of you in your tails, and hope I haven't stirred up any bad feelings by ressurecting the thread! I have a few of me in mine, well quite a few from the wedding day, but will have to see if I can scan them. I will certainly say Root that it is great to see that there are a few like minded gent's out there who also love tails. I really enjoyed Shindeco's formalwear primer too! I would love to be able to wear mine more often. Congrats on the find, and give us an update on where you are at with completing the outfit.

Cheers

Peter

geo

I saw this at the beginning of this thread:

Black shoes are easy to find. A nice pair of toe caps from Allen Edmonds works for mine.

Don't ever wear anything but patent leather shoes with tails. Otherwise, it ruins the whole look. Tails are the most formal of suits, and wearing plain black shoes with tails is like wearing a regular tie with a toxedo.

shindeco

A-List Customer
geo said:
I saw this at the beginning of this thread:

Don't ever wear anything but patent leather shoes with tails. Otherwise, it ruins the whole look. Tails are the most formal of suits, and wearing plain black shoes with tails is like wearing a regular tie with a toxedo.

Have to disagree. Cap toe oxfords have always been an acceptable, albeit one step less formal, alternative to patent leather. They need to be highly polished and preferably have flat, black silk laces but they are an acceptable part of the kit.

shindeco

A-List Customer
geo said:
With black tie, yes, although that makes it the poor man's black tie. But with tails?

Yup! I know it seems funny but it's in most of the Esquire magazines, etiquette books and such from the 30s and 40s that I've read.

I must say, I definitely prefer the look of patent leather but, in the interest of accuracy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic