Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Months in Africa

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Scary Mc said:
I've been away fro a few days, sorry. I am well aware that 2-months Cairo to Cape Town is unrealistically ambitious, but that is the time that I have. We'll see how far I make it.
I was in Mongolia for a month last summer and in the name of saving space and reducing hassle I just took a ball cap. Stupid move! By the end of the month on horseback my ears and lips were not a pretty sight to behold. I vowed after that trip to always travel with a wide brimmed hat. Always.
I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions and will be taking a felt I'm fond of with the knowledge it might be lost along the way. A ball cap and a crushable Tilley will also be in my pack.
I leave Jan. 5th and Need to be in Cape Town no later that March 5th. Wish me luck.
Godspeed on your journey. You'll need it! :D

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Just back today (34 hours door-to-door) from South Africa and Mauritius. I`ve got some photographs to post later but my hat advice is to wear something discrete that blends into the populace - mainly sun protection oriented. I thought long and hard to bring an Art lite, but I know how it is "in the field" and with the vast income disparities, sticking out does bring attention from those that do not have. Cameras, jewellry etc are best shown very discretely, and a hat warrants unneccesary attention. The only hats apart from baseball cats I saw were the Australian type canvas or leather (locally made Barmar-type?) and a few pith helmets at the better hotels. As much as I love wearing Fedoras, I`m glad I did`nt bring one along. No bad words about the local populace at all, but with 20%+ unemployment in South Africa, crime and theft is at high levels. Best not to attract any attention is my advice. An old Akubra would fit in well. Enjoy

Fedora

Vendor
I agree with M6Classic too that you'd better be prepared to part with your lid!

Wow!! I did not know this! I doubt I will be going there anytime soon. I guess as long as you stick around Egypt your hat will be ok? I know I have had several customers take their ABs there and sent me pics back. And never lost their hats.

Any more hat snatching countries? Just so I will know, IF, I ever decide to travel to them. Wait, IF I have to worry about my hat being snatched, that pretty much insures I will never travel there. lol Fedora

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Fedora said:
Wow!! I did not know this! I doubt I will be going there anytime soon. I guess as long as you stick around Egypt your hat will be ok? I know I have had several customers take their ABs there and sent me pics back. And never lost their hats.

Any more hat snatching countries? Just so I will know, IF, I ever decide to travel to them. Wait, IF I have to worry about my hat being snatched, that pretty much insures I will never travel there. lol Fedora
Any third world country can be like that. It's always best to not draw attention to oneself. But yes, Egypt is all right, primarily because it's good business to take care of tourists so they come back again. Sub-Saharan Africa is a whole different ball game. They won't just take your hat, they'll take anything they want.

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Fedora said:

If your hat is your biggest concern as you travel you are fortunate. You should also consider your priorities. There are many wonderful places to visit on this earth. If one decides to go or not to go based on the security of his hat, he should think long and hard about what is important to him.

Buzz

warbird

One Too Many
Blackthorn said:
Any third world country can be like that. It's always best to not draw attention to oneself. But yes, Egypt is all right, primarily because it's good business to take care of tourists so they come back again. Sub-Saharan Africa is a whole different ball game. They won't just take your hat, they'll take anything they want.

That's pretty true. Unless you are a hunter. Outside of the truly war torn countries the rest, even Zimbabwe, will go to extremes to protect hunters as in many countries this is a main source of income. And in Africa it isn't just sub Saharan where it is rampant with thieves. The West Coast is as well. I have never seen so many pickpockets in my life as I saw in Morocco. Casablanca is wretched.

Always keep you cash in some sort of a garment under your clothing, the best being on your chest.

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
Well, I just discovered this thread...and am wondering if Scary MC has made it back in one piece! He said he needed to reach Cape Town by March 5th, so let's hear it!
Being someone who has LIVED in Africa, I am very interested to know how his journey was. My experience there certainly changed my life, and a large chunk of my heart remains there, even 7 years removed. I yearn to return.
So, Scary MC, how was it?!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Zanzibarstar said:
Well, I just discovered this thread...and am wondering if Scary MC has made it back in one piece! He said he needed to reach Cape Town by March 5th, so let's hear it!
Being someone who has LIVED in Africa, I am very interested to know how his journey was. My experience there certainly changed my life, and a large chunk of my heart remains there, even 7 years removed. I yearn to return.
So, Scary MC, how was it?!
I hope Scary MC is all right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy