Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriters

Travis

Suspended
Elaina said:
Have you guys ever thought of "writing" via the mini recorders? I've written several books that way, and with voice recognition programs it's not a terrible problem getting it to the computer, and you have to edit anyway.

I have tried that, but I don't find it works too well for me. The reason I started writing in the first place is because I am able to take anything on my mind and create a story by just letting whatever comes flow into words. I write because I don't have the ability to do that quite as well vocally. I have this theory though that typewriters improve writing because you can't just write something in your computer, edit it and call it good. You actually have to edit it and REwrite it, allowing you to change things along the way that just slip by with on-screen editing.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I have an old Olympia portable that dates from the early 1950's. It still works just fine but I haven't used it in years. I lived with typewriters when they were all we had. I would't give up my pc word processing program for a typwriter for anything. I remember typing school papers on my Olympia. One mistake and you had to start all over. No thank you.

A few years ago, there was a company that would convert typewriters into PC keyboards. I haven't seen anything about them in years so I suspect they weren't successful.

Elaina

One Too Many
Travis said:
I have tried that, but I don't find it works too well for me. The reason I started writing in the first place is because I am able to take anything on my mind and create a story by just letting whatever comes flow into words. I write because I don't have the ability to do that quite as well vocally. I have this theory though that typewriters improve writing because you can't just write something in your computer, edit it and call it good. You actually have to edit it and REwrite it, allowing you to change things along the way that just slip by with on-screen editing.

I think it's because I have to spend so much time away from a computer that I learned the vocal way, for I certainly didn't before I had a child. Now, I can get a good 4 hours of writing in just driving around everywhere everyday, and spend a couple fixing what drivel I DID speak. Granted, I don't write any great Amercian novels, I'm more genre oriented.

Typewriters force me to be more selective on the words I put down. When I type at a computer, you can see that I'm chatty and don't generally know when to stop. If I have to pare something down extremely far (like take an 85K word story to say 35K) it does the trick, I'm just not the best typist on the planet. And I still have to end up doing it on the computer.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I've considered recording myself, but I think if I had a dictaphone I'd spend too much time actually playing with it then doing any serious work. I agree with what Travis said - a typewriter forces you to actually write without continuous editing or (for me) distraction.

Travis

Suspended
Travis said:
I was just looking on craigslist.org and found someone giving away a "working old typewriter." So I called the guy and he had no idea what brand it was or what year it was and didn't seem to really care. All I got was it was a manual one and its a portable since he said it's in a case that was made for it. He apparently found it in his attic. It's about an hours drive from here but I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon. It may be some late 60's model, which I'll probably use to get some practice until I get my Underwood, or it could be a goldmine for me, who knows?

Well, I spent over an hour driving around completely and utterly lost and never managed to find the place. So the search continues...

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I've got one of these:

631749.jpg

A 1941 model, apparantly. I have no idea where to find a ribbon for it.

Funny one you've learned a computer, it's so very hard to remember you can't easily delete mistakes you make on a typewriter. The mistake correcting thing is even more upsetting when painting... there's no 'undo' function on a paintbrush.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Travis said:
Well, I spent over an hour driving around completely and utterly lost and never managed to find the place. So the search continues...

Darn! It seemed too good to be true anyway.

poetman

A-List Customer
I had wanted a typewriter for some time. The site owner at:
http://staff.xu.edu/~polt/typewriters/index.html
is incredibly helpful. You should e-mail Richard with any questions. According to specifications and needs, and his recommendedations, I concluded that one of four machines was best: Royal KMN (Portable, shiny black from the 20's or 30's); Olympia (SG or SM); Underwood (Standard portable; same as Royal); Remington (5 or 12); Smith Corona. I, however, received a 40's Royal (Quiet Deluxe model) typewriter from my girlfriend for christmas. I love the font, and it works perfectly. She bought it from a local antique shop. You can find a lot of old typewriters on e-bay. Try these webistes for further info:
http://www.typewritercollector.com/
http://www.mytypewriter.com/index.htm

Travis

Suspended
Feraud said:
Here is my Remington Noiseless. I have had this for about 15 years.
She is a bit dusty and needs some TLC but is in one piece. Weighs a ton..
Picture1318.jpg

Picture1319.jpg

She's a beauty. Is that a Remington Standard Noisless No. 6 circa 1929? I could be wrong.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I have an early 20s Royal No. 10 that looks just like this (except mine has white keys rather than black:
eb0df255.jpg

eb0df251.jpg

I type the occasional letter on it. I actually learned to type on a manual (although not quite this old). It takes a bit of getting used to, especially where your little fingers are concerned. But it types nicely and the sound is great.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Sable said:
A 1941 model, apparantly. I have no idea where to find a ribbon for it.

This guy's website has links to supplies, manuals, anything you'd want -
http://www.geocities.com/wbd641/

Travis said:

Plug in his address here www.mapquest.com and try again!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Or http://maps.yahoo.com/dd and loads of others. I've had a lot of problems with Mapquest. Wrong directions, roads that don't exist or telling me to go left when it should say right, etc. It was a pretty common occurence with Mapquest - haven't had any problems with Yahoo or Google's mapping services.

Travis

Suspended
Mike in Seattle said:
Or http://maps.yahoo.com/dd and loads of others. I've had a lot of problems with Mapquest. Wrong directions, roads that don't exist or telling me to go left when it should say right, etc. It was a pretty common occurence with Mapquest - haven't had any problems with Yahoo or Google's mapping services.

I used the Yahoo one but I never found the place. It was sort of in the middle of nowhere in the country and in unfamiliar territory for me so I blame my not being able to find it on my own inaptitude and not the directions, although I never did find some of the streets it said to turn onto. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR