Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriters

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Unfortunately all my typewriters are in my parent's house, they were just too heavy for me to bring to my apartment.

My favorite (and first) typewriter is a Royal. I'm not sure of the date, but it looks like its from the '40s. It's incredibly heavy and well-built. Functions just perfectly.

My other favorite is probably from the '60s. It's cursive! It's very light-weight, it was probably meant for children or pre-teen girls. I love writing with it, it makes everything look so cute and kitsch.

Travis

Suspended
pigeon toe said:
Unfortunately all my typewriters are in my parent's house, they were just too heavy for me to bring to my apartment.

My favorite (and first) typewriter is a Royal. I'm not sure of the date, but it looks like its from the '40s. It's incredibly heavy and well-built. Functions just perfectly.

My other favorite is probably from the '60s. It's cursive! It's very light-weight, it was probably meant for children or pre-teen girls. I love writing with it, it makes everything look so cute and kitsch.

Do you have any pictures of them. I'd love to see them, especially the Royal. Maybe we can help you put a date on it.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I love typewriters but I lack a desk to sit and type out correspondence on. After reading this thread, I went on craigslist to find a cheap old typewriter just to have it. To my luck I have found a couple of awesome Underwoods from the 30s and a few remingtons all for reasonable prices. I am going to inspect them myself to see if they still work well. I might have to snatch em all up cause I'm greedy like that and I like to collect random things. lol.

Travis

Suspended
MissHuff said:
I love typewriters but I lack a desk to sit and type out correspondence on. After reading this thread, I went on craigslist to find a cheap old typewriter just to have it. To my luck I have found a couple of awesome Underwoods from the 30s and a few remingtons all for reasonable prices. I am going to inspect them myself to see if they still work well. I might have to snatch em all up cause I'm greedy like that and I like to collect random things. lol.

You should take pictures of what you find. I know I'd love to see them and I'm sure others here would too.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Travis said:
Do you have any pictures of them. I'd love to see them, especially the Royal. Maybe we can help you put a date on it.

Unfortunately I don't! I was hoping I would at least have a photo of my bedroom at my parent's house in my computer so you could at least see the typewriter from the distance, but alas, I have nothing of the sort. Next time I visit I'll take a photo. I remember researching it a few years ago and trying to date it according to the serial number, but I can't remember what the results were.

Travis

Suspended
pigeon toe said:
Unfortunately I don't! I was hoping I would at least have a photo of my bedroom at my parent's house in my computer so you could at least see the typewriter from the distance, but alas, I have nothing of the sort. Next time I visit I'll take a photo. I remember researching it a few years ago and trying to date it according to the serial number, but I can't remember what the results were.

Well, I will be sitting idly by awaiting your visit to your parents house.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I just invested in my first typewriter, a 1920's Remington portable, and then i got crazy and bought a 1939 Remington portable, don't ask me why, I'm just that crazy:p they were both in impeccable condition one was tested to make sure, and the other was used to write letters by the sellers aunt right up until she gave it to the seller, who tested it again just to make sure.:D
They should be arriving any day now, I'm looking forward to using them, and I'll hopefully be able to shake off my five year writer's block.:)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Lets hear it for the old days!

CanadaDoll said:
I just invested in my first typewriter, a 1920's Remington portable, and then i got crazy and bought a 1939 Remington portable, don't ask me why, I'm just that crazy:p they were both in impeccable condition one was tested to make sure, and the other was used to write letters by the sellers aunt right up until she gave it to the seller, who tested it again just to make sure.:D
They should be arriving any day now, I'm looking forward to using them, and I'll hopefully be able to shake off my five year writer's block.:)
Hey C. D. Don't forget to stock up on typing ribbon:)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oh don't worry Rocky I won't:)
I hear that most take a standard 1/2 inch ribbon, and they are widely available at office supply stores, does anyone know if that's true or not?

Jay

Practically Family
This thread has inspired me to finally look for a typewriter tomarrow. I think I remember where I can find one, too.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Well, this thread made me go upstairs and take a peek at the old portable I saved from my parents place. We actually tried to sell it in the garage sale after they passed on, but it didn't sell, and I decided it was nifty enough to save from getting tossed.

It's a Remington Portable. I don't see any date on it, and the poor ribbon is beat through in places. Just took a few pics, here they are:

Typewriter001.jpg

Typewriter005.jpg

Typewriter006.jpg

Hmmm, looking at the links someone posted earlier in this thread, I found the serial number - NX21266. By this (and it's appearance), it would seem to indicate that it's a Remington Portable [#1], made in May, 1922, apparently two months after they added the right shift key to the models. Wow, the things you learn on the Internet…

I also have some cufflinks that are made out of old typewriter keys - they say "floating shift".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
CanadaDoll said:
Oh don't worry Rocky I won't:)
I hear that most take a standard 1/2 inch ribbon, and they are widely available at office supply stores, does anyone know if that's true or not?

Last I looked, you could still get "universal ribbons" at most office supply places, but if your machine uses some sort of unusual spool you might have to wind the old ribbon off and the new ribbon onto the old spools -- a messy job, but not an impossible one. (When I was using my old Royal at the radio station, I'd use teletype ribbons, which were the same width.)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Thanks Lizzie! :D
that's great info to have, they were both listed as taking 'standard', which I assume is universal ribbons, I can't wait to see them.:)

Jay

Practically Family
Well I just picked up a Royal Portable (for 25 bucks at the local junk store) made sometime between 1929 and 1930 according to the serial number. This internet is full of useless info. Pictures soon to follow.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Chanfan said:
Well, this thread made me go upstairs and take a peek at the old portable I saved from my parents place. We actually tried to sell it in the garage sale after they passed on, but it didn't sell, and I decided it was nifty enough to save from getting tossed.

It's a Remington Portable. I don't see any date on it, and the poor ribbon is beat through in places. Just took a few pics, here they are:

Typewriter001.jpg

Typewriter005.jpg

Typewriter006.jpg

Hmmm, looking at the links someone posted earlier in this thread, I found the serial number - NX21266. By this (and it's appearance), it would seem to indicate that it's a Remington Portable [#1], made in May, 1922, apparently two months after they added the right shift key to the models. Wow, the things you learn on the Internet…

I also have some cufflinks that are made out of old typewriter keys - they say "floating shift".

I saw one just like this at a Salvation Army Thrift store yesterday with Lauren.

They wanted 24 for it but the keys didnt go all the way up to strike the paper....

Anyone have an idea about how easy to fix that is?

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I have a couple Remingtons of that type floating around. There is a locking lever on the right side that raises the keys about halfway toward the paper. Then normal typing will strike correctly.

My personal favorite is a Royal Quiet Deluxe portable. I use it for writing radio drama scripts. It really makes you think, before you type.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Yeah, when I was first messing about with the portable, I thought it was broken. You probably just need to unlock it - try pulling on the aforementioned knob, and sliding it forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR