Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Army considers new uniforms

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
From the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122602017528907205.html

My favorite quote:

But most interesting is the swell of support for another sort of uniform altogether -- a call for a return to the "pinks and greens" that were worn by officers in World War II. Who can blame them for wanting to look like Gregory Peck in "Twelve O'Clock High" -- or like Jimmy Stewart, in his real-life role as a decorated bomber pilot? Soldiers who champion that uniform see it as a way to link their service to the Greatest Generation's. But it is also widely regarded as the sharpest uniform the modern Army has ever known. It featured trousers of a rosy-hued khaki (romantically described as being the color of a glowing-hot gun barrel). The jacket was a dark olive drab, and was often worn belted. No bus driver has ever sported such spiffy duds.​

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to see the US Army make a move back to the WWII uniform. Even during Vietnam (I was serving in Korea at the time) the green Class A uniform was a poor second to the WWII uniform. When the army went from the khaki-color shirt to the current mint green monstrosity, it went from bad to worse. We either wore fatigues or TW's (khaki tropical-weight uniforms) unless required to wear dress greens. I probably wore dress greens less than a dozen times during two years in Korea.

The uniform does matter. Let's dress military men and women to reflect the fact that they are part of a long and proud military tradition. My guess is, they'll appreciate the change and take more pride in the uniform.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARINES!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When I was in the Air Force 20 years ago, we couldn't wear fatigues or BDUs off base except just to make a quick stop at a 7-11, for instance. And shortly before, even that wasn't allowed. I don't think the current preference for camoflage has anything to do with being "purposeful" or comfortable, it's just part of the current casual (or slob) culture.

Weston

A-List Customer
As someone currently in, the word from above is that wearing the BDU (or ABU) shows that we are in solidarity with the warfighters, those overseas in harms way. I don't believe it has anything to do with an overly sloppy culture.

Our new chief has reinstated wearing blues on Mondays now, so at least there is some use for our dusty old uniforms we paid out the nose for. Still doesn't quite help that they are redesigning them again...to be even more expensive.

Sigh.

Brinybay

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
It doesn't matter what the Class A's look like, does it? All I ever see Army folks wearing are fatigues.

-Dave

But that's just the point. They don't wear the Class A's because they don't like them. The beret came along after I left, and it was bad enough, I didn't know about the green shirts. It's been a while since I was in the service, but when I was, we couldn't go off base in fatigues. You had to be in civvies or Class A's. We had the khaki-colored poplin shirt, green jacket and trousers, and either the round service cap or the green garrison cap. (We had another name for the latter, but politeness keeps me from using it). The other uniform was all khaki.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I drive a bus and would love to have a uniform like Ralph Kramden's (see below). We have light blue cotton/polyester shirts, either long or short sleeve, or a forest green short sleeve knit shirt, dark blue polyester pants, or the ill-fitting pleated cotton khaki pants, black or brown leather shoes, and a choice of truly ugly baseball cap or an even uglier beret, or go bare-headed. We have 3 jackets to choose from that are designed as if we were fishing for crabs in the Bering Sea, although the dark blue fleece jacket is nice, which is the one I wear.

RalphAlice.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The ACU should be left on base or in combat. I see 'em on soldiers everyday when they come into the store. I'm not a fan of combat uniforms being worn in noncombat areas.

A return to pinks and greens would be great, though that was an officer's uniform. Would enlisted men get pinks and greens too?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, as an ex Marine, I can glibly point out that the Marines have had the sense not to mess with a good thing for about a century or more now. I'd like to to see the old salty dip in the barracks cover come back, but that's a minor quibble. And they could lose the patent leather shoes in favor of good old fashioned spit shining.
I find it interesting to see so many active Army men in their utilities (that's what we called them in the corps, fatigues, whatever). Doesn't seem quite right to me. I wholeheartedly agree that the uniform that was good enough for Dwight Eisenhower should be good enough for any American soldier.
What's also interesting is that what used to be the every day fighting uniform of the past becomes the dress uniform of the present. Those heavy wool outfits with lots of pockets and a leather Sam Brown belt (I believe the Army once wore them, too, right?) are based on what a Doughboy would have worn in the trenches. Likewise, the Marine Corps dress blues are essentially the uniform Marines wore at sea throughout the 19th century.
So I guess the wearing of fatigues as an every day uniform is only natural.
But for my money, the old WW II uniform totally outclasses all others.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
MARINE CORPS "IKE" JACKET

I know associating our jacket with "Ike" was a bad thing, but in the interest of familiarizing you with what I'm talking about, I'll use it loosely.

I'd love to see the Marine Corps bring back the "Ike" jacket. I have one sitting in my closet and won't hesitate to break it out if they give us the word.

mcdonald.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I think the Army already made it's decision. They are going with a variation of the Dress Blues. Actually combining the Service "Greens" and the Dress Blues.

http://www.army.mil/asu/

Speaking of the USAF. They've gone through some uniform changes. They are going to a new digital BDU, with a camo pattern, but not bothering with a camo color. They are going to be shades of blue, since most AF jobs don't actually require the camo to work. The boots are going to be a weird shade of green.

http://ohmygov.com/blogs/general_ne...eless-the-air-force-s-new-battle-uniform.aspx

They are changing their dress uniform too, after complaints of looking like a bus driver in a leisure suit. They toyed with the idea of bringing back the Marine style high collar uniform.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=36437&archive=true

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Lone_Ranger said:
I think the Army already made it's decision. They are going with a variation of the Dress Blues. Actually combining the Service "Greens" and the Dress Blues.

They are changing their dress uniform too, after complaints of looking like a bus driver in a leisure suit. They toyed with the idea of bringing back the Marine style high collar uniform.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=36437&archive=true

No WAY!!! Ixnay on the high collar. That, of course, resembles the Marine Corps Dress Blue blouse. This was a functional addition to the uniform in the 18th and 19th century designed to protect the neck from a sword blow during battle. Something we pride ourselves on - not a fashion statement...

What a blow to the Marine Corps. First they copy the idea of our digital pattern now this?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Weston said:
As someone currently in, the word from above is that wearing the BDU (or ABU) shows that we are in solidarity with the warfighters, those overseas in harms way.

Good to know, even if I don't get it. It just seems odd to see soldiers walking around in camoflage in downtown Denver.

When I was in, we had the choice of wearing fatigues, BDUs (camoflage) or dress blues to work if we were going to be in the lab all day. I wore blues--the oxfords were much lighter than combat boots and the shirt and pants were easier to iron. Do ABUs still have to be ironed?

Trotsky

A-List Customer
The biggest problem the army has with its uniforms is not the style but the cut and cloth. The cut is baggy and unflattering while the material is that horrible looking polyester crap. I have talk about this with a friend and we agree, keep the Army Green and make it in a nice suiting wool. Same with the entire range of uniforms, better material would go a very long way in improving the look. I understand what they are trying to do with the new dress uniforms, but the combination of poor tailoring, plastic material and the badge placement make the new uniform look terrible and unprofessional.
I agree with some of the other posters, the Marines know how to do it right. Their stuff looks good and makes the wearer look like a professional soldier, exactly what they should look like.

The US Army has sooooooo much buying power. Why not quality materials to give the troops uniforms that they would be proud to wear?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lone_Ranger said:

http://www.army.mil/asu/

The jackets and pants almost match.

Lone_Ranger said:
Speaking of the USAF. They've gone through some uniform changes. They are going to a new digital BDU, with a camo pattern, but not bothering with a camo color. They are going to be shades of blue, since most AF jobs don't actually require the camo to work. The boots are going to be a weird shade of green.

http://ohmygov.com/blogs/general_ne...eless-the-air-force-s-new-battle-uniform.aspx

The new ABU sounds like a boondoggle. Looks like the AF hasn't changed much in 20 years.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
More Khaki, Dammit

The Navy just brought back the summer dress khaki blouse. The least the Army could do is bring back the khaki shirting, keep the Army Greens with it, and for gosh sakes reauthorize saucer and overseas caps.

I won't argue for all-khaki service dress, as all the services used to have. Things are more air-conditioned today, and dress clothes have retreated somewhat - the suit is worn only formally now, and a light colored one doesn't serve that purpose as well.

But this BDUs Everywhere policy is nonsense. You show solidarity with the folks in harm's way by doing your jobs well, not by playing desert dressup every day.

Every service needs a Class C walking-around uniform. Let them have one - maybe even allow a Class B with long sleeves and a tie. The slob era is coming to an end anyway. The military should look snappy again.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yeccchhhh!

The class B looks like Civil Air Patrol. I'm sure the Army will appreciate being mistaken for high school kids. The class A's look like doormen. All that gobbledigook. This implies something rather unsetling about the mentality of the people in charge of this matter. Toy soldiers. Saber rattlers. Our people deserve better. What gives the marine uniform its class is its SIMPLICITY.

Egerland

New in Town
The ACU should be left on base or in combat. I see 'em on soldiers everyday when they come into the store. I'm not a fan of combat uniforms being worn in noncombat areas.

Hear, hear. I'm in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and we generally wear tropical blues (in Southern California) in public. Much better image than the operational uniform.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I wish to echo the opinion that the problem with the current Army Green uniform is not the appearance (though the cut could certainly be improved - possibly into the WWII-style mentioned in the article) but rather the materials from which it is made. Perhaps a return to private-purchase options would improve the attraction. I'm sure plenty of local tailors would be happy to provide a made-to-measure uniform in the proper cut and color but produced from comfortable, nice-looking materials.

I object particularly to the change of color. Army green really symbolizes the post-WWII Army and should be retained. The blue is associated with so much earlier an era that nobody can even relate to it, save perhaps Civil War reenactors. Olive drab has really become the province of the Marine Corps, and khaki that of the Navy.

A solid blue uniform like the Army is adopting is just going to cause confusion with the Air Force and Coast Guard, in my opinion.

As was said above, the Marines really have it right in the uniform department. Maybe better walking-out uniforms will cause service members to begin wearing them instead of their "jammies" but I won't hold my breath. If attorneys are any indication, I still think the average person will be as much a slob as you let them.

I also agree with what was said regarding the beret - what a stupid, useless piece of headgear. You want to require it in formation? Fine, but at least let people have a choice of the service cap the rest of the time, otherwise what's the point of having a hat on at all?

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo