Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Authentic A-2

Bebop

Practically Family
I just recieved a new U.S. Authentic A2 in goatskin. This is my first new A2 and I understand how one could get addicted to having more than one. My first thought was, "what a light weight jacket this is". For some reason I was expecting a heavier feel to it. Maybe because I have been wearing a Cooper G1 for the last week that is heavier than the A2.
It is not a thick goatskin. Thinner than the cowhide on any of my other jackets. The goat is just perfect. I read a review on this jacket somewhere and the reviewer said that it was "too perfect" so he sent it back and I could not understand what he meant by that until now. It looks like it was made by one goatskin. There are not deviations in grain from one arm to the other. The back is as perfect as the front. I am not about to send it back. I love it. Fit is right on. I ordered a 40 just like my sport coats and it fits with enough room for a shirt underneath. The sleeves are right where they are supposed to be and the length is right at my waist where I wanted it. It feels more like a heavy shirt than a jacket. I could wear this all day, no problem. No customization needed at all. I do not know how authentic it is since I have not studied A2 history very much, but it is a great deal for the price. The fit and finish is top quality.
Anyone prefer horsehide to goat? Everyone I asked said go with the goat.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Echo Bob's sentiments...

Nice one Bob. Verbal descriptions have their limitations. Gotta really see a pic to get us guys going over a great piece of vintage looking hide!
Says a lot when you get a design right doesn't it! When others through the decades copy it, well, you know you got it right. The A-2 design is just classic styling, whatever way you look at it. And they are out there and priced to suit most folks pockets.

Can't wait to see pics of this new A-2..!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Glad to hear you're so happy, Bebop.

US Authentic's jackets don't get nearly enough good press - while they're not exactly competitive with the high-end repros in the accuracy department, they are really quite excellent for the price, especially the goatskin A-2. (It's really the only A-2 repro out there with correct construction, wool knits, cotton lining, reasonably accurate hardware, and a collar stand for well under $300 - not much more than a current-spec Cooper.) I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures!

I have one of their horsehide A-2s, and it's a seriously heavy-duty hide. Very tough and springy, and it took a long time to break it in. Their goatskin is surely much lighter and more supple - I wouldn't characterize my A-2 from them as being like a "heavy shirt". (Now, my lambskin Wested Indy jacket is definitely shirt-like!) Of course, the way it's constructed and fitted does make the A-2 essentially very similar to a shirt in some ways...

Oh, and re the Eastman factory discussion going on elsewhere, I visited US Authentic when I got mine. It is a very small biz, run out of the old carriage house next to Shaul's house. Three sewing machines, I think, plus a big cutting table, a couple of other workstations, materials storage, racks for finished jackets. Definitely more old-school craft house than a "factory"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot