Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK/Euro sellers of G-1 Flight Jackets and questions

Tkecks

Familiar Face
IIRC the current US Coast Guard regulation G-1's have side pockets, but the regular Navy do not, or aren't supposed to anyway.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family

I know a lot of Aviators that have had their jackets converted to have side pockets or they just buy the commercially made ones. I would say that the G-1 in the Navy is the most valued and at the same time under appreciated piece of gear issued to an aviator. I also know guys that have been flying in the Navy for over 15 years and didn't realize the G-1 had a throat latch on it. To most Aviators, they see brown leather and a fur collar and think that it must be the same as issued gear.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Wore a G1 all weekend over here and at times could have done with more warmth.

I wore a G-1 in London for Christmas a few years back, and since I had only just recovered from Noro virus, I was able to get a GAP sweatshirt under it (can't do that now!), but I was freezing cold. I bought an Alpha M-65.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I know a lot of Aviators that have had their jackets converted to have side pockets or they just buy the commercially made ones. I would say that the G-1 in the Navy is the most valued and at the same time under appreciated piece of gear issued to an aviator. I also know guys that have been flying in the Navy for over 15 years and didn't realize the G-1 had a throat latch on it. To most Aviators, they see brown leather and a fur collar and think that it must be the same as issued gear.

That is true, if I get issued gears without paying from my own pocket, who cares? As long as it is practical and comfortable.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I once had a Cirrus G1 Repro that had side pockets (couldn't get on with it).....prefer an original now and just stick my hands in my jean's pocket...toasty.....sorted ;-D

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
Obviously not a G-1, but ELC makes this terrific "Air Comfort" 1950's style jacket that has side hand warmer pockets and a fur collar (a possible option?).

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think the best potential jackets for my needs would be either the expectedly Eastman's D-1 (any fans out there?) or the beautiful, if Air Comfort jacket Thor posted above (thanks Thor!)

I guess the perfect middle ground would be a jacket based on G1 styling (I love the collars), but with a fur lining that would make it a bit more winter friendly, without the B-3 bulk.

bn1966

ELC D1! Best shearling I've ever owned...gets a lot of use compared to my Irvin and has pockets for both my phone and wallet 10/10 in my opinion :-D Weather gets too much (rare over here) then I've the Irvin option or putting a C3 vest under the D1...lovely!

Air comfort does look good though!

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 103

octopus_luke

Familiar Face
ELC D1! Best shearling I've ever owned...gets a lot of use compared to my Irvin and has pockets for both my phone and wallet 10/10 in my opinion :-D Weather gets too much (rare over here) then I've the Irvin option or putting a C3 vest under the D1...lovely!

Air comfort does look good though!

Oooh - shiny! That D1 looks great.

Blackadder

I am not sure if these are the converted/commercial jackets you mentioned but I do see side pockets in lots of these photos.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52711-Current-USAF-Issue-A-2s/page13

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff