Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate EASTMAN (ELC) flying kit thread.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
I don't think it makes the previous production 1401-P's obsolete in any way. If you refer to Acme Depot, Marc says that Rough Wears came with Crowns AND various versions of Talon's.

My older production (late 90's) 1401-P is a reddish russet that is almost exactly the same color as an original 1401 I have photos of.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
The warhorse leather is supposed to be more grainy in appearance. Having looked at photos only and comparing to my original A2s which are very grainy I would think Eastman has hit the mark on the leather issue. As far as the zipper I have seen 1401s with crown and talon on them. So, in either case it does not make the previous 1401s less authentic. I think it is great ELC will put a crown on your older 1401. I just put an original crown puller on mine and saved the expense of shipping it to the UK and back plus the cost of the zipper.;)
IMG_0170.jpg

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Eastman leather Jackets- how good are the armholes?

Hello,
I am now contemplating buying an Eastman A-1, or possibly an A-2 flight jacket (it will be the first leather coat I've ever owned). Eastman's website has lots of pictures comparing their jackets to the originals, but it's still hard to tell if the arm-holes compare accurately. So could the leather jacket experts give me a hand? Any one own one of these and an original, and if so, how do they compare?

Thanks,
Atturbury

birddog

New in Town
I bought an A2 from them with the inside canvas pockets. This is the best quality jacket I've seen, & the inside pockets are very practical for wallets, mobile phones etc. Outside pockets are too small for anything modern, other than keys. The jacket is expensive, but considering you'll only need one per lifetime, it's worth it.

P.S. Don't gain weight!

Steve

greyhound68

A-List Customer
I have an original A2 Roughwear size 44 and an Eastman A2 Roughwear size 42. The Eastman has more room in the shoulders and chest area than the original. I wear size 44 in all my original A2 jackets. In Eastman I have fit in size 42 in their Roughwear, Cable, Star, and Monarch.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The old ELC patterns were too roomy to realistically represent most original jackets. I think you'll find that they have progressively revised their patterns to be trimmer in the last few years, and the new issue jackets are supposed to conform to these.

Whether they are still roomier than they should be is a matter of debate. I think they are, but it is probably a fact that they need to be to fit their customers properly.

Alan

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
The old ELC patterns were too roomy to realistically represent most original jackets. I think you'll find that they have progressively revised their patterns to be trimmer in the last few years, and the new issue jackets are supposed to conform to these.

Whether they are still roomier than they should be is a matter of debate. I think they are, but it is probably a fact that they need to be to fit their customers properly.

Alan

The extra room may be of some concern to me. My chest measures 35-35 1/2. They only have the A-1 going down to size 36, and some of the A-2's only go down to 36. As skinny as I am I like a trim fit. Baggy makes me look floppy.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

A.Dodd, I own two Eastmans, and the armholes on both are close. Not too close, but they aren't cavernous, either. Based on what I've read about originals (I've never owned one), I think the armholes in the repros are comparable to those on jackets churned out six decades earlier.
Hope that helps.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ELC Cable Goat A2

This jacket looks mint from the photos and description. I used to own an original Cable goat but it suffered from leather rot so I decided to snap this one for less than half the price of a new one. It's a size 40, like my ELC Werber, so it should be a good fit. It has a Talon zip and I think the grain on ELC Cable goats is awesome!
64ac_3.jpg

A-2CableGoat002.jpg

A-2CableGoat003.jpg

A-2CableGoat004.jpg

A-2CableGoat006.jpg

A-2CableGoat007.jpg

A-2CableGoat008.jpg

A-2CableGoat009.jpg

A-2CableGoat010.jpg

A-2CableGoat015.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads