Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate EASTMAN (ELC) flying kit thread.

PLATON

New in Town
Hi and thanks very much for your answer.
I understand you have lots of jacket and thus maybe you can help me with my question below.

I have an OK jacket from a B class vendor and it's size is 38. The pit to pit measurement is 22 1/4. The overall fit is great but the epaulets are 7'' (18cm) long and I get this shoulder droop that I very much dislike.

I am thinking that if they were somewhere between 15 - 16 cm they would be OK.

I am trying to see if this epaulet size I am guessing would match the pit to pit measurement of 22 1/4 on any existing wwii jackets.

The plan is to give my existing jacket to a local tailor and ask him to duplicate it with the exception of the epaulets that should be 15-16 cm on the new jacket but don't want to risk getting awkward results.

If there is some positive evidence of this size epaulets/shoulders then I think I can go ahead.

Any ideas please?

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Show us your Eastman Jackets

Hello all,
I am (still) debating whether or not to buy an Eastman A-2 flight jacket. The pictures on Eastman's website are pretty good, but I want to see what the jackets look like actually being worn. Pictures of Loungers wearing Eastman's A-2's would be very helpful. Pictures of A-1's would be welcome as well, because I could possibly decide to get one instead of an A-2. If I get an A-2 it will probably be a Rough Wear 42-1401, but pictures of any maker Eastman A-2 will help me get a feel for what I like. I would also like to see pictures of details such as thread color, broken grain ("warhorse"), etc. Action pictures would not be bad either (to see what they actually look like in use, armholes etc.). This will help me make a decision and hopefully help future lounge buyers also.

So, Lets see some jackets! I know Paddy has some;)

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Here is a photo me wearing my Eastman 27752 contract standing beside Charles Dills, a WWII pilot who served with the 27th Fighter/Bomber Group.

IMG_0124.jpg

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Jacob Dubow said:
Here is a photo me wearing my Eastman 27752 contract standing beside Charles Dills, a WWII pilot who served with the 27th Fighter/Bomber Group.

IMG_0124.jpg

Mr. Dubow, nice jacket, thanks for posting the picture! How recent is that picture? That WWII vet looks like he's in great shape (at youngest probably eighty years old?). He must have loved his jacket, looks quite worn.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Jacob Dubow said:

IMG_0124.jpg

Mr. Dubow, nice jacket, thanks for posting the picture! How recent is that picture? That WWII vet looks like he's in great shape (at youngest probably eighty years old?). He must have loved his jacket, looks quite worn.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
scotrace said:
See this thread for several Eastman Rough Wear jackets.

Mine:
DSC00051.jpg

Mr. Scotrace, thanks for posting the picture and the link to your jacket. By the by, I LOVE the way your jacket soiled around the collar. That is just how
many old jackets look. I had a 40's Motorcycle/bomber civilian jacket that was soiled just like that. You may not like it but I do!:D

Fletch said:
I have a 1401 coming in the mail. I'll be sure and snap some pix modeling it (in fact it'll be a pleasure).

Fletch: can't wait to see pictures of your jacket.

atkins

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
I have a 1401 coming in the mail. I'll be sure and snap some pix modeling it (in fact it'll be a pleasure).

Can't wait to see the 1401 ,collar snap ,collar unsnapped, anything!

Regards,
Atkins, Rough Wear thirsty boy.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Mr Dodd,

The earlier photo of myself and Charles Dills was taken at a once-in-a-lifetime event that took place in Columbus, Ohio on Sept. 27 through Oct. 1, 2007. The event was The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends. Approximately 85 P-51's from all over the country as well as many other warbirds gathered in Columbus for this memorable weekend.

Also, several dozens of former WWII era Mustang pilots were official guests and held "meet and greet" get-togethers with the public and did signature events.

Here is a photo of several Vintage Leather Jacket Forum members who posing in front of the History Preservation Associates tent and wearing repro. A-2's.

Left to right: 1) Me/ELC 27752 contract 2) Christos/Gibson&Barnes 3) Swing/ELC Monarch 4) Bill/Gibson&Barnes 5) Marc/ELC Star in special leather.

TedCristosSwingBillMarc.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Management Team Notice:

With so many interested in Eastman Leather Clothing, we have collated most of the relevent threads dotted around the OuterWear Room for your convenience of use. Hope this helps!

Regards, Paddy M.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The STAR of the show (photos)

First two are photos of the STAR A-2; Second ones are pics of the RoughWear 1401 and the last is the 8 panel Irvin by ELC.
Of all the Eastman A-2s, the STAR in my eyes is the STAR of the show!

star1.jpg

snug1.jpg

Fronttorso.jpg

5AAFpatchanddetailing.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

EastmanIrvin021.jpg

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Nice jackets Paddy! Hmm.... Star, I really like it, every time I think I've made up my mind, I see another type I like too. Paddy, I wonder if I could consult with you on some Authenticity issues when I make up my mind what jacket I want. I have some questions, and I understand that you are very knowledgeable about A-2's, and have examined many originals? (And own some?)

By the way, does anyone have a revamped Eastman A-1 that they could post pictures of?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
1940 Pattern Eastman Irvin

I posted these in the big Irvin thread but thought they might be useful for reference here in the Eastman jackets thread, my 1940 Pattern Eastman Irvin...

Irvin1.jpg

Irvin2.jpg

Irvin3.jpg

Irvin4-1.jpg

Irvin5-1.jpg

Irvin6-1.jpg

Baker17

New in Town
Eastman Roughwear 1401 Russet A2

ShanghaiJack said:
Gents,
HPA, Eastman's authorized dealer for North America, is first class. And any Eastman A-2 Style Jacket, regardless of type or special edition, can be ordered in the big 3 hides. Horse, Steer, and Goat. Always has and always will....
Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack
I brought myself an Eastman Roughwear 1401 A2 not long ago and that too is very baggy especially on tha arms. Also a point to note is that the top layering on the jacket is also wearing off quicker than the jacket is wearing in. I think i will go for an Aeroleather A2 next time. Their jackets seem to be more of a Military fit.

Taikonaut

New in Town
Hi All,

I am new here but have owned a Cooper A2 since 1991 when they had the defence contract.

If I were to go for an Eastman which is their most popular one based on authenticity and looks? I liked the look of their Pearl Harbour range but it seems that not many people chooses it but I could be wrong though not sure what orginal this jacket is based on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner