Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

A lot of wonderful suggestions for un or under-appreciated movies in this thread. And a few well appreciated favorite films mixed in also.
One I ran into quite a few years ago is "We Are Not Alone" starring Paul Muni, 1939 if I recall correctly. It is an interesting, subtle, presentation of parallels between a small town tragedy, the oncoming war already raging in Europe, and the previous war. All about innocent people paying the price.

DNO

One Too Many
Chocolat (2000)...a thoroughly charming film with particularly good performances by Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench and Johnny Depp.

Chocolat (2000)...a thoroughly charming film with particularly good performances by Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench and Johnny Depp.

Agreed and a very enjoyable book as well. I'm not usually a big fan of other-worldly fantasy, but when handled with a light touch and as part of a larger morality tale - as in "Chocolate-" I can enjoy it and did very much for this book and movie. The vibe of both the book and movie is gentle, almost sweet, but never cloying or mawkish. And as you noted, it doesn't hurt to have an outstanding cast.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not really a masterpiece, but unappreciated, Marathon Man (1976) [video=youtube;I9PuSBb7gtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9PuSBb7gtw[/video]

Not that old, but I believe "the Straight Story" to be David Lynch's masterpiece!
All of the great cinematography and pacing without the lesbo- murder stuff. A great film.

DNO

One Too Many
Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom (2012). How Anderson managed to have a cast of such terrific actors, like Ed Norton, Frances McDormand, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray and Harvey Keitel, step back and allow the two young actors to shine is amazing. Thoroughly charming, beautifully photographed...most certainly unappreciated. Edward Norton and Bruce Willis were particularly good.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Here's a forgotten and/or vastly underrated film that's become a favorite of mine: 25th Hour (2002).

A really moving drama directed by Spike Lee, with a screenplay by David Benioff (now a Game of Thrones showrunner), based on his novel. Stars Edward Norton as a convicted NYC drug dealer on his last day of freedom before reporting to prison upstate, settling things with friends and family before he goes. Features outstanding supporting performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper, Anna Paquin, Rosario Dawson, and Brian Cox. Shot in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, it reflects a wounded and stunned city, as Lee's too much of a native New Yorker to have not let it influence the story. It ends with a staggeringly well done and moving final sequence that's good enough to watch on its own... but it has far more power after you've gotten to know the characters.

It's not a happy story, but it's an outstanding film. It's nearly my favorite Lee film... and not because it's his "whitest", but because it's just flat-out brilliant in every way. It should be much better known!

Barman

Familiar Face
A short film (9 minutes long) I really like is "c'était un rendez-vous" by Claude Lelouch.
Driving a Ferrari through Paris in the 70s, 5:30am:
[video=vimeo;92541091]https://vimeo.com/92541091[/video]

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A short film (9 minutes long) I really like is "c'était un rendez-vous" by Claude Lelouch.
Driving a Ferrari through Paris in the 70s, 5:30am:

C'etait un rendez-vous est un bijou Barman-ca rapide rasoir a travers le matin Paris.:eusa_clap There's a Jaguar commercial from
last year that shows a night razor through what seems to be London. Guy just floors it so damn fast and races a chopper
to the rendezvous. Check it out. :)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I would still say, for cars racing in the city, Gumball Rally is still the best! Who wouldn't like to race a Cobra or a Daytona in Manhattan? [video=youtube;XTT1_JZp2Sg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTT1_JZp2Sg[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner