Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
...real moral dilemmas amidst the horror of WWII and the super-horror of the Holocaust and for that I applaud them...
so I am still searching for the cause of my unease.

I will look for these.
Viktor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning, and Jean Bernard's Priestblock 25487; A Memoir of Dachau are two slim volumes
that you may have read. Both recount death camp experience and the fall-but also the rise and ultimate triumph-of humanity.
I try to read Frankl yearly and return to his instructive great lesson of love.

I will look for these.
Viktor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning, and Jean Bernard's Priestblock 25487; A Memoir of Dachau are two slim volumes
that you may have read. Both recount death camp experience and the fall-but also the rise and ultimate triumph-of humanity.
I try to read Frankl yearly and return to his instructive great lesson of love.

Those sound impressive. I have read a decent amount about WWII and the Holocaust, but don't know those - thank you.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Les enfants du marais" - one of my favourite films, beautifully acted, funny, touching. An absolute gem.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Two others that are similar and good are "Sarah's Key" and "The Reader."

I am of two minds about all three movies which create fictional stories around the Holocaust. All three are well-constructed stories, with interesting characters dealing with real moral dilemmas amidst the horror of WWII and the super-horror of the Holocaust and for that I applaud them. But there is a small part of me that feels slightly manipulated by these stores and am not fully sure why. Maybe I believe the Holocaust was of such outsized moral ugliness that creating fiction around it is disrespectful, but I don't feel these movies were disrespectful, so I am still searching for the cause of my unease.

That over-thought-out confusion aside, I think you will enjoy the two movies I mentioned above if you enjoyed "The Book Thief," which was not only beautifully filmed, but wove just a small amount of mysticism into the movie without making it hokey.

Thank you, FF, I will keep a look out for those.

I, too, sometimes struggle with the possibility of being manipulated by these kind of stories, but all in all I figure that there were millions of stories like them that never got told, so I give them a bit of leeway.

Last edited:

Libeled Lady

New in Town
What a wonderful thread!

Two of my favorite films are (in my biased opinion!) unappreciated masterpieces. History is Made at Night (1937, starring Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur) is a daring mix of suspense and romantic comedy, while The More the Merrier (1943, starring Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn) is a bittersweet romantic comedy centered on Washington D.C.’s World War 2 housing shortage.

What a wonderful thread!

Two of my favorite films are (in my biased opinion!) unappreciated masterpieces. History is Made at Night (1937, starring Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur) is a daring mix of suspense and romantic comedy, while The More the Merrier (1943, starring Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn) is a bittersweet romantic comedy centered on Washington D.C.’s World War 2 housing shortage.

Both good movies, but you are probably highlighting the need for a new thread: under-appreciated actors and actresses of whom Jean Arthur would be near or at the top of the list. "Only Angels have Wings" is my favorite of hers - also an under-appreciated classic

Libeled Lady

New in Town
Both good movies, but you are probably highlighting the need for a new thread: under-appreciated actors and actresses of whom Jean Arthur would be near or at the top of the list. "Only Angels have Wings" is my favorite of hers - also an under-appreciated classic

Jean Arthur is terribly under-appreciated. Her presence makes even the most mediocre of films that more enjoyable. And that voice!

Jean Arthur is terribly under-appreciated. Her presence makes even the most mediocre of films that more enjoyable. And that voice!

If I ever come back as a woman, I want her voice (and I wouldn't complain about getting her looks and talent as well). She has a Spencer Tracy quality of acting where you just don't see them act - they are simply the person they are portraying.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
^ I'll jump into the Jean Arthur boat, as well. She was great!

And, she was born in 1900. When you see her in those late 30's and early 40's movies, she looks about 20 years younger.

- Ian

Last edited:
^ I'll jump into the Jean Arthur boat, as well. She was great!

And, she was born in 1900. When you she her in those late 30's and early 40's movies, she looks about 20 years younger.

- Ian

That is amazing, especially for that time period where people smoked heavily, drank, thought tanning was good for you and, rarely, exercised. Plus they didn't have all the surgery and stuff that is done on stars today. She was - like Cary Grant - just one of those people touched from above to always look good.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Yes, always surprised this one didn't and doesn't get more attention. I think it might have come up before in this thread (maybe), and I think I noted I enjoy it more than the much-higher-profile "Saving Private Ryan."
i missed that post, but like your observation, FF. good point.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Separate Tables" - Saw this for the first time a few days ago. Multiple Oscar nominations and at least two wins. Never heard this mentioned with any reverance or as a "must see". Severely underated! Outstanding adult drama.

Worf

"Separate Tables" - Saw this for the first time a few days ago. Multiple Oscar nominations and at least two wins. Never heard this mentioned with any reverance or as a "must see". Severely underated! Outstanding adult drama.

Worf

Yes, yes and, what would the word be, oh, YES. Can't believe how few people know this incredible gem of a movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner