Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

skydog757

A-List Customer
In honor of the passing of James Garner, I have to mention Support Your Local Gunfighter! (1969). The genre was ripe for a good parody at that time. Garner is great as always.

DNO

One Too Many
Seeing the war in Vietnam mentioned reminded me of a truly unappreciated masterpiece. No jingoism and a very creative approach to the subject: 84 Charlie Mopic (1989). Low budget...unknown actors...excellent film.

Last edited:
In honor of the passing of James Garner, I have to mention Support Your Local Gunfighter! (1969). The genre was ripe for a good parody at that time. Garner is great as always.

That was a good one, but I would suggest, Support Your Local Sheriff. I thought that it was the better of the two by quite a bit. And yes, he is great as always in both of them.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That was a good one, but I would suggest, Support Your Local Sheriff. I thought that it was the better of the two by quite a bit. And yes, he is great as always in both of them.

I agree. Becides, you can't go wrong with Walter Brennan, and Jack Elam [video=youtube;uW3vklH3oYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3vklH3oYM[/video]

I agree. Becides, you can't go wrong with Walter Brennan, and Jack Elam [video=youtube;uW3vklH3oYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3vklH3oYM[/video]

That part was hilarious as was the scene where Bruce Dern is attempting to escape while Elam and Garner are around back. Elam's character would have stole the show against many another actor other than Garner.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
L.A. Confidential (1997)

11168703_800.jpg

I mentioned this film in "The Last Movie You Watched" thread. I think that it's a great movie. And, I know that at the time of it's release, it was recognized with awards, but it doesn't seem to be recognized, much, at this point. It lost Best Picture at the Academy Awards to "Titanic."

- Ian

rjb1

Practically Family
I agree that it's a masterpiece - I have lost count of how many times I have seen it - but I'm not sure it's unappreciated.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Not sure about how much it is 'under appreciated', but to me personally, it's a masterpiece: Road to Perdition

[video=youtube;XN3ogbTuDSE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN3ogbTuDSE[/video]

Great clothes, great guns, excellent soundtrack, Paul Newman, Tom Hanks, and just the right amount of humor and pathos...plus, no happy ending.

Rob

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Not sure about how much it is 'under appreciated', but to me personally, it's a masterpiece: Road to Perdition

Great clothes, great guns, excellent soundtrack, Paul Newman, Tom Hanks, and just the right amount of humor and pathos...plus, no happy ending.

Rob

Good call, this is one of my favorites.

Well, it's subjective, of course.

It would probably be more accurate to refer to it as "underappreciated."

- Ian

I've wondered, too, about how we define this term. On this board of Fedora Lounge members, there aren't that many unappreciated masterpieces. But in the general population, there are many. That said, I've been watching classic film channels my whole life, and every few days, someone brings up one on this thread or in the What Movie Are You Watching thread that I didn't know of or, at least, hadn't seen.

And "Road to Perdition" is a fantastic movie.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family

Rob

Rob, that movie is #1 in my queue at Netflix. Hope to see it by this weekend. It's one of those movies that I had heard of, but never paid attention to. I'm not sure that I ever knew what this movie was about. Now that I am more aware of it, I'm excited to see it.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I've wondered, too, about how we define this term. On this board of Fedora Lounge members, there aren't that many unappreciated masterpieces. But in the general population, there are many. That said, I've been watching classic film channels my whole life, and every few days, someone brings up one on this thread or in the What Movie Are You Watching thread that I didn't know of or, at least, hadn't seen.

And "Road to Perdition" is a fantastic movie.

Though, I'm not as much of a classic movie buff as you are, Mark, I do love them and rarely watch any new movies (or TV series, for that matter). I too hear/read of movies that I was either unaware of or hadn't given much thought to. I often subsequently see these films and am so grateful to have been made aware of them.

Like you said, the general public has either never heard of these films or has long since forgotten about them. Maybe, the title of this thread should be "Movie Masterpieces That Are Unappreciated By The General Public."

- Ian

Though, I'm not as much of a classic movie buff as you are, Mark, I do love them and rarely watch any new movies (or TV series, for that matter). I too hear/read of movies that I was either unaware of or hadn't given much thought to. I often subsequently see these films and am so grateful to have been made aware of them.

Like you said, the general public has either never heard of these films or has long since forgotten about them. Maybe, the title of this thread should be "Movie Masterpieces That Are Unappreciated By The General Public."

- Ian

I'm with you on the spirit of the title, but the "Boys in Marketing" might oppose us.:)

I'm going to encourage you to try a few TV series as I think they are the best modern "film" being made. "Downton Abbey" (especially season one), "Hell on Wheels," "Call the Midwife" (more than any, very classic film in its overall aesthetic and approach to story telling), "Mad Men," "Boardwalk Empire," "True Detective" (basically modern film noir) and "Orange is the New Black" are all quality shows, with fully developed characters, intricate plots that play out over many episodes and serve as intelligent commentary on the human condition (what good art does).

These series (and others) are where the quality in "film" is today. Most movies, even the "good" ones, are at best okay and none that I've seen in years compares with any of the above shows.

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I'm with you on the spirit of the title, but the "Boys in Marketing" might oppose us.:)

I'm going to encourage you to try a few TV series as I think they are the best modern "film" being made. "Downton Abbey" (especially season one), "Hell on Wheels," "Call the Midwife" (more than any, very classic film in its overall aesthetic and approach to story telling), "Mad Men," "Boardwalk Empire," "True Detective" (basically modern film noir) and "Orange is the New Black" are all quality shows, with fully developed characters, intricate plots that play out over many episodes and serve as intelligent commentary on the human condition (what good art does).

These series (and others) are where the quality in "film" is today. Most movies, even the "good" ones, are at best okay and none that I've seen in years compares with any of the above shows.

Actually, I forgot that I do watch "Mad Men" and watch it religiously. It's superb, in my opinion. I watched the first season of "Boardwalk Empire", but somehow lost track of it after that. Maybe, I should have stuck with it seeing that my wife works for HBO...lol "True Detective" looks pretty good (and I've heard so many great things about it), but I haven't gotten around to checking it out. My wife seems to love those PBS imported series that you mentioned and I've heard a lot of people discussing them. Also, I did watch the first season of "Masters of Sex" on Showtime and thought it was pretty good.

Generally, I watch as many documentaries as possible, old/older films along with a good deal of football and basketball.

- Ian

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Walking Tall (1973) starring Joe Don Baker

It's a pretty darn good movie that I think is probably unappreciated by the overwhelming majority, today.

WALKING-TALL-POSTER.jpg

81-WALKINGTALL.jpg

- Ian

I had forgotten this one! I think I saw it 5 or 6 times when it was in theaters. You're right, it's one of the greats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn