Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

It's not surprising that I agree.

I would just add (though I'm not alone in this), Richard Widmark was a fine actor and acted in many fine movies. It's more than worth it to see as many of his movies as you can.

- Ian

It was Widmark's acting that caused me to purchase a copy of Night and the City. I think that I need to watch it again.
:D

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
"Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) starring Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine and Anne Francis.

I consider this movie a masterpiece. Though, it may not be unappreciated, I believe that it is underappreciated."

I have never been able to figure this movie out. Is Spencer Tracy supposed to be playing a returning WW2 serviceman? Or the serviceman's grandfather? Or his he supposed to be a high ranking officer, which would explain his age and manner?

And why would he let the townsfolk buffalo him like that? All he has to do is point out that he has friends waiting for him in LA, that the train crew knew where he got off, and that if he disappears the cops are going to be swarming all over them.

The whole setup is phony as hell. I spent the whole movie painfully aware that I was watching a movie, and trying to figure out what the actors, director, and writers were trying to prove (and failing).

The Return of Dr. X (1939).

ReturnofDoctorX.jpg

I've been looking for that one. I can't find it online anywhere for download or streaming, and had rather not buy it until I've seen it, or at least seen the quality of the print.

TMC airs it every so often. I saw it on TMC in January. Keep your eye on the website and guide for upcoming showings.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
By the way, "Night and the City" is film noir...(British film noir, though two of the leads in the film are American actors.)

Interestingly, in the novel Widmark's character is an Englishman pretending to be an American, on the grounds that being an American was fashionable in pre-war London (due to influence of cinema and gangster films etc).

However, in the film the character is an American in London. This fits in with the post-war perception of American servicemen getting involved in criminality and remaining in the UK or nefarious purposes. A number of films have American 'wide-boys' in post war London (usually played by Bonar Colleano).

Hotel Berlin (1945)

I can't believe TCM gave this one only two stars.

I've often wondered who gives those star ratings as - like you - I have found some very questionable ones, but no obvious bias. Meaning, many 3 and 4 star movies in my mind seem to come in too low, but conversely, many times I see a two star elevated to a three or a three to a four. To some extent, this is all just opinion, but sometimes the rating is so seemingly off, that I wonder if there is an agenda at work.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've often wondered who gives those star ratings as - like you - I have found some very questionable ones, but no obvious bias. Meaning, many 3 and 4 star movies in my mind seem to come in too low, but conversely, many times I see a two star elevated to a three or a three to a four. To some extent, this is all just opinion, but sometimes the rating is so seemingly off, that I wonder if there is an agenda at work.
:arated:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
TMC airs it (The Return of Doctor X) every so often. I saw it on TMC in January. Keep your eye on the website and guide for upcoming showings.

Unfortunately I no longer get TCM. I did away with my $150 per month dish/cable bill some time ago and now watch all my "television" via a Roku streaming player. Not as many first-run shows but for a total bill of $16 per month for the two premiums I subscribe to (Netflix and Hulu Plus), plus hundreds of free channels, I can live with it.

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately I no longer get TCM. I did away with my $150 per month dish/cable bill some time ago and now watch all my "television" via a Roku streaming player. Not as many first-run shows but for a total bill of $16 per month for the two premiums I subscribe to (Netflix and Hulu Plus), plus hundreds of free channels, I can live with it.

I did the same with my Cable subscription with no regrets at all.

Back to topic
I have always enjoyed the 1960's "Beau Geste" with Gut Stockwell, and Telly Savalas. "Sand Pebbles" , which was mentioned earlier is one of my favorite movies.

WH1

Practically Family
I really liked "Hard Times", as well! Very good movie that I hadn't heard of until just prior to seeing it a couple of years ago.

"48 Hours" is a good one too.

- Ian

Always appreciated Walter Hill's work, but probably one of his best was 'The Long Riders"
Great performances by real life brothers, the Quaids (Randy & Dennis, the Carradines (Robert, David and Keith, the Keaches (Stacy & James) and the Guests (Christopher & Nicholas). Great story and an amazing soundtrack by Ry Cooder.

Edward

Bartender

One of my favourite European films, by a long way. I was lucky enough to see this in the cinema. It wasn't released in the UK until late 1999 (same time as The Blair Witch Project - I saw both on the same afternoon: night and day), so I saw it shortly after I'd been to Berlin for the first time. A number of the locations were familiar as a result - especially the aeriel shots of Lola running across Bebel Platz on Unter den Linden. As an aside, the Berlin Movie Museum actually has the original costume she wore...

Dog Day Afternoon. A classic. And based upon a true story which always seems to make movies better.

Very much overlooked - at least this side of the Atlantic - nowadays, which is a shame, it's a cracking turn on the hostage-situation drama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn