Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underage drinking

Especially in long neck bottles....to me, taste so much better than the cans...but like Radar on MASH, my taste buds are tone deaf...

I'm with you gt
For me..any beer is much better in cold longneck bottles!
...and come to think of it..I haven't drank a PBR in years. It was once quite popular in Indiana especially in the '60s. I think PBR was the first beer I drank.
HD

Edward

Bartender
Under-age drinking? Cultural thing. Seems to happen less in cultures where drinking alcohol isn't made into a big taboo / big deal. I do wish the US would drop its 21 age limit, as I blame that directly for all the 18/19/20 year American kids who end up face down in Leicester Square.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In germany the law says 16 for beer and 18 for liqour. My personal experience was that I didn't like beer first and tried some sweeter liquors before it was legal for me. Maybe with 14 or so. I just went to a "trinkhalle" (small one man shop) and tried and they did sell it to me. I would say it didn't spoil me. I was just curious (together with some friends)

Getting drunk for the first time was a few years later. Friday or saturday evenings at parties and punk concerts. Maybe it helped a shy young man to dance silly and talk with strangers I suppose. Real cool people can do this without alcohol but who was I to know that? At least I can say it never made me aggressive and I didn't do dangerous things (like driving) I always kept a good amount of reasoning. I liked to be a bit tipsy and happy. Today I sometimes drink beer when I go out.

But I also know someone from the old punkrock days who was an alcoholic. I didn't knew it first because he always seemed in a good mood but then I met him some years later and he was very shaky and unstable. Really scary.

Big Bertie

Familiar Face
Under-age drinking? Cultural thing. Seems to happen less in cultures where drinking alcohol isn't made into a big taboo / big deal. I do wish the US would drop its 21 age limit, as I blame that directly for all the 18/19/20 year American kids who end up face down in Leicester Square.

Let's not forget the case of the [then] Prime Minister's son, found slightly 'confused' in Leicester Square, a few year's ago.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Natural light is god-awful.

Speaking of God awful beer...

When I was a teenager, Schlitz was beer of choice for the crowd I ran with. Of course, it sucked. But we knew nothing about beer. We bought it because it was cheap.

Then, sometime in the eighties, Schlitz beer blessedly disappeared from the market. That didn't break my heart because I was more of a bourbon drinker by then, anyhow.

Several years ago, I was in the liquor section of Woodman's in South Milwaukee and there was Schlitz again. Miller had begun brewing it, supposedly using the 1960’s recipe. Out of absolute sentimentality, I bought a case of it on the spot. Early the next day, I made a bacon and grits breakfast for my GF's family. Jackie's brother saw the case of Schlitz sitting on the back steps and cracked one open to go with his breakfast. Long story short…Jackie’s brother, brother in law and I polished off the entire case by ten that morning. Yep...it pretty much shot the rest of the day.

But it started a tradition. Now when I'm visiting the Wisconsin family, there's always a weekend morning reserved for the Schlitz and Gritz breakfast.

AF

1961MJS

Hi

PBR was my high school beer and freshman year in college beer. PBR isn't horrible or tasteless (like Olympia used to be), but I don't understand the whole hip new beer deal either. The through back Schlitz is good, but it's not substantially better than Bud either and for a while it was $2 more a six pack. I went to a Beer Snob bar (Tapwerks for you OkC locals) and they had PBR which was some how wrong, or at least weird.

On the other hand, I'd buy PBR which is more than I can say for the earlier hipster, yuppie brew called Corona.

Crawling back into my Shiner Octoberfest hole.

1961MJS

...But it started a tradition. Now when I'm visiting the Wisconsin family, there's always a weekend morning reserved for the Schlitz and Gritz breakfast.

AF

Mr. Finch, UNFORTUNATELY, I can beat that one. I was on a canoe trip in Indiana, we brought beer, bread, and baloney to feed us on the trip. When we woke up in the morning we were hungry. There were roughly a dozen of us and what was left was a box of Trix cereal and a case of Stroh's. Thank GAWD we didn't start a tradition. At least somebody went and bought 5 pounds of bacon, some bread, and some OJ.

Later Y'all

Last edited:

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I quite like Hobgoblin too (if we're talking about the same brew), but I can't stand shandy.

hobgoblin_large.jpg

I love shandy! I don't like larger unless it is in shandy. 90% lemonade though!

Speaking of God awful beer...

When I was a teenager, Schlitz was beer of choice for the crowd I ran with. Of course, it sucked. But we knew nothing about beer. We bought it because it was cheap.

Then, sometime in the eighties, Schlitz beer blessedly disappeared from the market. That didn't break my heart because I was more of a bourbon drinker by then, anyhow.

Several years ago, I was in the liquor section of Woodman's in South Milwaukee and there was Schlitz again. Miller had begun brewing it, supposedly using the 1960’s recipe. Out of absolute sentimentality, I bought a case of it on the spot. Early the next day, I made a bacon and grits breakfast for my GF's family. Jackie's brother saw the case of Schlitz sitting on the back steps and cracked one open to go with his breakfast. Long story short…Jackie’s brother, brother in law and I polished off the entire case by ten that morning. Yep...it pretty much shot the rest of the day.

But it started a tradition. Now when I'm visiting the Wisconsin family, there's always a weekend morning reserved for the Schlitz and Gritz breakfast.

AF

OMG...I just love Carolina grits...not so much Schlitz(although haven't had it in years)..but bacon and grits makes me want to head southeast again...
HD

On the other hand, I'd buy PBR which is more than I can say for the earlier hipster, yuppie brew called Corona.

Around here at a few watering holes, you can get a 16oz PBR for a cheaper price than other domestic 12oz...
One place has Miller High Life as their "house beer" & it isn't the Miller Ale House.....haven't had High Life since college but can't resist the price....

m0nk

One Too Many
Around here at a few watering holes, you can get a 16oz PBR for a cheaper price than other domestic 12oz...
One place has Miller High Life as their "house beer" & it isn't the Miller Ale House.....haven't had High Life since college but can't resist the price....
Around here it's Sam Adams 20 oz draft for the same price or less than most other 16 oz..

Flat Foot Floey

Well this went from problem orientated to favourite beer brand. It's no use in the FL at the moment. [huh]
I better waste my time somewhere else.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
OMG...I just love Carolina grits...not so much Schlitz(although haven't had it in years)..but bacon and grits makes me want to head southeast again...
HD

OK. Here's the secret. And I'll probably be bannished from the South for publishing this.

One cup of Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Hominy Grits
One cup half and half
One stick of (real) salted butter.
One bag of grated, extra sharp, cheddar cheese
Two cups of water (to begin with)
Much coarse cracked black pepper
Some coarse salt

Bring water to boil...melt butter into boiling water...cut back heat and slowly add half and half...bring to high simmer...add salt, pepper...slowly add grits while constantly stirring with a wooden spoon...as grits thicken, add more water (1/4 cup at a time) as needed to achieve desired texture...stir in entire bag of cheese.

AF

1961MJS

OK...but I was trying to get on track by telling about my favorite brand of beer back when I was an underage teenager. ;)

AF

Hi Mr. Finch

Back when my kid was in Junior High, I asked his friend's big sister (she worked at the dry cleaner's in the neighborhood) what all high school kids did in the era of "No!". No, being no smokin', no drinkin' no foolin' around. I can't quote, but basically she was doing what we were 20 years before. I'm guessing that they're a doin' the same stuff now. Maybe it's good that kids get that stuff out of the way before it would kill them (it does some anyway). I know drinking a fifth in 3 hours now would kill me.

I understand both arguments on Booze. Easy access means becoming an alcoholic, and the flipside of you want the unattainable. I'm not sure which works if either does. My reading of history does shed light on why the US chose prohibition. Apparently back in the 1880's and on, whiskey was put out to drink in public places (like the jury box) the same way water, coffee, and pop are now. I'm guessing that became a problem at some point...

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff