Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniforms in casual wear

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
I've just recently bought a UK Aertex tropical BD Jacket from What Price Glory for Spring here in Southern Australia (yes - southern hemisphere = opposite seasons). Hopefully will be good of a little casual wear once it arrives.

UK%20TROPICAL%20BD%20JACKET%20KHAKI%202-1304.jpg

I was wondering if anyone could share any photos of fellow Loungers wearing WW2 gear as casual clothing rather than reenacting? Looking for a little further inspiration.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Well, if you've seen my pics, that's WWII-inspired and everyday wear. (Not totally "casual" though, I'm "all professional all the time" and strive to present myself as such.)

Sorry I missed them - can you post a link?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I like to wear vintage military items for casual and sometimes more formal wear.

I wear my ATF M-41 jacket a lot, even at work. Here it is being a bit more formal:
me019-2.jpg

And my painted A-2:
me008-2.jpg

Here's my grandpa in the late-1940s with his M43 combat boots and HBT trousers:
G-pa001-1.jpg

I also wear my SPR HBT trousers like my grandpa. French 'frog boots' cut down to roughout specifications are my main shoes in the Fall, Winter and Spring.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I happily mix few uniform parts with everyday wear.
Outerwear:
In the fall and spring I quite often use a RAF BD jacket as outerwear.
It's wool, comfy, light - and warm.

And as soon as it gets cold enough, I can't wait to wear my Irvin jacket.
Got a couple of A2's aswell. Nice fall/spring jacket too.

Trousers:
When that was cool I also sported a baggy pair of M65 trousers with lots of pockets. Like everybody else in the Advertising business did.;) Given them up now!

(Got a M65 jacket stoved away somewhere - for gardenwork, canootrips etc.)

Boots:
A pair of Corcoran jumpboots for hiking.
A pair of RAF Pattern1936 flyingboots for the winter.

But - in order not to look like a complete moron - I am very concious on mixing it with civi clothing - don't want to look like a wanabe soldier/reenactor.
Even wore a white shirt, tie and baggy M65 trouser once.
(Like you style Thunderw.!!!)

The ONLY time I might wear two military things together is in deep snow and frost: Irvin and flyingboots.
But then I make sure that the trousers are old, faded Levis!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Most of my cold weather gear is old military stuff.
I wear my '60s German wool overcoat and my old Swiss one all the time when its cold. I wear my canadian ike with a fedora. I wore a pair of swedish melton pants most every day of the winter before last. The trick is mixing it up with other vintage to give it a look that's not so blatantly military.

IMG_6231.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_47631-1.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I wear an A-2 fairly often now, and when the weather cools down more I'll be wearing my Irvin as much as possible. I'm planning on buying a pair of Aero 1936 pattern flying boots for casual wear in the winter as well, whenever they get my size back into stock (which is taking forever). The great thing about these particular pieces of flying gear is that they dont look blatantly military, and blend in fairly well with modern tastes.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I've got some post-ww2 Aussie military gear that I'm planning to convert for civilian use soon. Two pieces of it are quite a bit too small for me now; but I figure I can use them as a test run.

I'll be sure to post pictures of my step-by-step desecration when I actually get around to doing it.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
what's your opinion of early '50s Australian wool battledress trousers?

I've never had much of a wardrobe beyond modern t-shirts and jeans; so I can't give you an educated opinion.

Quite a coarse fabric. I've never spent any time in them beyond trying them on. But I did like the feeling of substance and the drape in comparison to modern pants I've owned.

I've got the BD jacket, trousers and a Greatcoat. The coat is dated 1967, jacket 1951. The trousers are actually dated 1946 upon having another look.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
A-2 Jacket mostly, I'll wear an M-41 HBT hat when I work out so I can get it all salty and broken in. Occasionally when I smoke cigars outside I'll wear a WWII Impressions Jumpsuit Jacket. Other than that no most people will just see an "Army" jacket. Most of my Jackets have insignia on them anyways and I feel weird wearing them. I am debating on getting a set of Tropical BD in fact it will be my next investment. I need something to shoot my Enfields in.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Forgot, I recently picked up this naval officer's uniform turned civilian boating suit.
Navyuniform001.jpg

Tried something a little daring with it, definitely not for everyone.
me046-1.jpg

Might be something to try.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a marvellous look and what an original thing to do...

You're looking sharp as ever there Will!! :eusa_clap And I'm totally blown away with the originality of using a Naval Officer's jacket. Plus the newsboy and those awesome specs (as in glasses, not shoes) just go perfectly together like Bonnie and Clyde!! It works so well and the cut and drape of that jacket looks great!!

I wonder just 'how many' folk shop in your place just to see 'the well dressed man behind the counter' ;) Quite a few I'd imagine :eusa_clap

thunderw21 said:
Forgot, I recently picked up this naval officer's uniform turned civilian boating suit.
Navyuniform001.jpg

Tried something a little daring with it, definitely not for everyone.
me046-1.jpg

Might be something to try.

Burnsie

Interesting topic! I got into WWII clothing when I realised the high end repros were so authentic - not being a reenactor I just wanted high quality, high authenticity garments that could be paired off with vintage pieces. A-2's, WWII officers trousers, Buzz Rickson khaki's, A-1 mechanics sweaters, slim fit 30's-40's sweatshirts, jump boots, all perfectly suited to everyday wear (or even to work), and as Hawkeye notes not all are blatantly military looking.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
You're looking sharp as ever there Will!! :eusa_clap And I'm totally blown away with the originality of using a Naval Officer's jacket. Plus the newsboy and those awesome specs (as in glasses, not shoes) just go perfectly together like Bonnie and Clyde!! It works so well and the cut and drape of that jacket looks great!!

I wonder just 'how many' folk shop in your place just to see 'the well dressed man behind the counter' ;) Quite a few I'd imagine :eusa_clap

Thanks Paddy, much appreciated. It was something I thought would be fun to try, and it was. ;)

Why, just the other day while garage saling I had a total stranger tell me I "always look so nice". :D

Cheers friend!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mixing vintage military with work-wear is something I've always done.
'30s and '40s military jackets with "vintage" denim.

There's a classic Hot Rod book:
"The Birth of Hot Rodding- the story of the dry lakes era"

Many colour photos of crowds of drivers and spectators at the dry lakes,
just post-war wearing all manner of jeans, leather and Army/Navy surplus jackets and hats- A-2s, B-10s; M-41s, etc...... Very cool.

And yes- the availability of good repros makes for some variety.
Now we can even mix and match with WW1 era uniform items.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran