Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniforms in casual wear

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

Great photos!

It's nice to see I'm not the only one doing this now since I don't attend events anymore.

I still wear my U-Boat denims (the pants) as they don't look the least bit military, and I also still use my officer's jacket - I just removed the 'dirty bird' - and it all looks fine (as I've aged the 'piston rings' and buttons on it).

In fact...I've even gone out in 'full uniform' - my denim pants and officer's jacket (again just without the cap and insignia)...and no one has had the faintest notion that I was walking around in my U-Boat uniform. :D

Spiff.:)

Prien

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
this was about a year ago. Lunch w/ some other FL members.

WWII Officer elastique jkt & trou
Hat is modern.

DSC01083.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It's almost impossible to wear medals or rank insignia on a pair of flyingboots lol

I think Diamondback is making a very personal statement here.

But I also feel it is up to the single wearer of military uniform parts to decide what - and why - he or she wants to wear it.
Some wear a uniform jacket, with rank insignia, medals, squadron or regiment badges and what have you, without even knowing what it is - only because it's cool. Which is fine with me. It's (anti)fashion - so what?

Others are very consious of what they wear, know the story behind every singel item, shirt, button, belt, socks, shoes etc.
Wether they wear it as a tribute to the men who wore it - or in order that some of the glory might rub off on their perfectly dull life.
I don't know - and I don't care.

Just imagine the amount of people walking around in A2's who never ever flew a plane. Or even were in the airforce? Or even served in the armed forces??

Imagine the many middleaged, overweight guys who strut around in paratrooper jackets without the physique to jump out of an armchair.
Let alone sit in an ordinay seat in an airplane!;)
(And I am NOT talking about reenactors here!)

Should they not be allowed to do that?
I think so.
We all have our reasons.

As long as you do not dress up in full uniform - in order to appear as something you are not. I don't see the problem.

I once bought a RAF BD jacket in London, on a Movieprop sale.
It came with wing, rank and ribbons.
That's why I saw it in the first place - and that's why I bought it. Because it looked like "the real thing".
Should I then remove rank, ribbons and wing, just because I did not fly in Battle of Britain?

I wear it with ordinary "civy" shirts, T-shirts, jeans and stuff because it's a damn nice, warm and comfortable jacket, because I like it and - to me personally - as my tribute to "The Few".
Besides it's a great "icebreaker" - the jacket starts many conversations with complete strangers, people interested in flying, BoB, Spitfires and Hurricanes, which is allways interresting.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

If someone doesn't feel comfortable wearing the actual insignia (the patches) what about wearing a small lapel pin that is of the insignia (this would be if they have a strong interest or connection - perhaps past life/spiritual - to that particular branch or unit).

I wear my U-Boat ring (a reproduction of the kind that were made back then) and never had anyone jump down my throat about being a Nazi - then again, when it comes to the Kriegsmarine, most people are cool with U-Boats and such.

But they make small lapel pins of units and branches, and that would be a nice way to still have and display the 'insignia' without actually having the 'full insignia' being worn.

Prien :eek:

Spitfire, guess what I'm saying is individual pieces are no sweat, but a complete ensemble becomes a little more complicated in ensuring "respect for the uniform and those who wore it"--MrBern takes one path setting it off with a civilian hat, I favor another. As long as one makes it clear that they're not trying to present themself as something they're not, I'd say they're cool. Now "poser soldiers" (not to be confused with reenactors, the "poser" claims on the street to be part of a war he was never in, almost always citing Special Ops or Sniper role) on the other hand are a beef, regardless of how they dress...

Another part of my deal is I was raised by WWII vets, so styling myself similarly is also a way of acknowledging their influence on me and my debt to them.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is about mixing and matching civvies with military clothing.

(It's not about re-enacting where folk take on the persona of the service they are depicting through the appropriate full uniform),

...it's about the guy who might like to throw on an old Irvin jacket with a pair of jeans and 1936 flying boots, or an Ike jacket with a newsboy or an A-1, shirt & tie with a Fedora..etc;) So it's 'mixing/matching WWII gear with civvie gear to create 'your own' unique classic look.:D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Mossyrock said:
Ok, I'm tracking with the military uniform thing, but Dinerman, you neglected to tell us about the most important part: tell us about that hat! Now THAT'S a hat with character!!

It's a Brent Adventurer. There's a gaping hole in the crown, the brim has been stitched back on on the front and back 1/4s, the sweatband is coming out. Stained, beat up, mis-shapen, and it's a Brent, so it's lousy to begin with, but it's good for yardwork or hiking or going places that I wouldn't otherwise wear a hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks, Matt.

I love old military stuff, especially european, because it has a very classic look, it's practical like nothing else, it's comfortable, and for the most part, with a little looking (if you're a small size) it can be had for next to nothing. And because there's a lot of it floating around out there, you can thrash it pretty well (it'll take the abuse), without having to worry too much about not being able to find an eventual replacement.

Another ike-jacket shot- taken this weekend. The short length makes them great for layering. Very practical. I left the patches on, I think they really give the jacket character, and I really don't think anyone's going to mistake me for a fisheries official.
n500888121_888715_6679.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I have mixed an a2, overcoat, or miscellaneous military pant with a wool cap, fedora and other regular wear to a nice effect.

Fwiw, here are catalog scans showing military inspired garments for sale.
The first shows what is being sold as a Regulation Air Force Jacket
DSC05873.jpg

DSC05874.jpg

and next are Cotton and Rayon "Battle Jackets".
DSC05870.jpg

DSC05876.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I have an A-2 (with 4th FG insignia) that I wear from time to time, and an Irvin (purchased from fellow Lounger "Spitfire") which I'll be wearing once the weather turns cold. I also have an M-65 Field Jacket for cold weather wear. I also occasionally wear a postwar German M-43 field cap (grey, with the Edelweiss insignia) on cold days.

Bingles

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
Most of my cold weather gear is old military stuff.
I wear my '60s German wool overcoat and my old Swiss one all the time when its cold. I wear my canadian ike with a fedora. I wore a pair of swedish melton pants most every day of the winter before last. The trick is mixing it up with other vintage to give it a look that's not so blatantly military.

IMG_6231.jpg

You never cease to amaze, Dinerman! You're my hero!

fishmeok

Vendor
It's a difficult look to carry off well- I usually don't try (except for flight jackets) because I almost invariably end up in full uniform- pinks, shirt, etc. I like things that match, like Grranimals. It's also difficult to find civi items that go well with the standard US Army officer's trousers (pinks,green,and summer-weight wool). The wool elastique is very heavy and looks kind of odd without a wool or similar heavy shirt of some kind (doesn't help that my wife insists the "pinks" look like polyester), and the color shades are hard to coordinate. Anybody have any suggestions?
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
Feraud said:
I have mixed an a2, overcoat, or miscellaneous military pant with a wool cap, fedora and other regular wear to a nice effect.

Fwiw, here are catalog scans showing military inspired garments for sale.
The first shows what is being sold as a Regulation Air Force Jacket
DSC05873.jpg

]

That's exactly the look I was going for when I made my second jacket:
DSCN4396.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic