Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniforms in casual wear

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing my buzz B-10 for a few weeks now, it blends in fairly well. I've got a pair of Aero 1936 flying boots in the mail, so I'll be ready for the first snowfall, and once a few of my ebay auctions end (favourably I hope), I'll be treating myself to a 42 pattern Eastman Irvin. In proper weather I think the boots and Irvin will look appropriate, without snow I think I'd leave the boots at home.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Congrats with your new boots!
I will admit that the Irvin PLUS the 1936 patterne boots, just might be over the top. (Edit: - To some)
But believe me, once you get used to the boots, they are soooo nice to stroll aound in. With the white sweater from your avatar, maybe?
And a pair of levis...:)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Irvin + 36ers = BLISS!! (Now that's maths)

Actually Spitfire, I reckon 'you can' carry off the Irvin + Boots combo with style!! Just takes a wee bit of confidence (and in my case 'eccentricity' probably!!lol ).

I do tend to wear that combo when walking the dogs across my fields in the mornings and evenings so there's really only some Hares and Deer to spot me!! But I have walked to the village shops in this clobber and no-one bats and eyelid, as really - it doesn't look 'THAT BAD.' Compared to kids in hoods, baseball gangsta caps and combats, it looks positively SATORIAL ;)

Plus, it's good, practical 'kit' for the winter weather (just had the first snow here!).

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Actually Paddy, I do it almost every day (given the weather) - and with great confidence.
As I wrote in the beginning of this thread, to me it's just a matter of NOT looking like a "complete wannabe moron". So I try to combine civi clothe and the military attitude.
Which actually give a rather good RAF - devil may care - attitude:
9780850459661.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
What a great thread. When I was in junior high, I had an Ike jacket that I wore on occasion, and now I've got a hankering to get another. It would be swell to find one in gray or blue, so as not to be so obviously wearing mil-surp, though the ATF repop looks quite nice.

Not so much any more, but I used to wear lots of military surplus as everyday wear. I still don my dad's old M65 on occasion. In college my greatcoat was Swiss Army surplus from the 1950s, and I carried my books in a Vietnam-era US map case. I also have a nice-looking East German navy greatcoat that worked for dress use. In high school, my traditional cold-weather hat was a Korean-era fatigue cap with ear flaps and a strangely long bill.

Aside from the Ike jacket, I can think of a few military pieces that I wouldn't mind incorporating into my wardrobe, but due to my size I don't think I could find them at surplus prices anymore.

-Dave

Kifaru

New in Town
As a retired Navy man, we have many regulations about what uniform items can, and can not, be worn with civilian dress. While I would never wear another man's (or woman's for that matter!) medals, I'm happy to wear an old beat up uniform coat or old trousers from another period other than my own.

p51

One Too Many
Hawk_Eye said:
I've been wearing my buzz B-10 for a few weeks now, it blends in fairly well.
I'd love to have one of those B-10s but can't justify the expense of one as I live in a climate (the Pacific Northwest, in the lowlands) where something that warm wouldn't get much wear. That being said, I have several reproduction A-2s that I wear on fall or winter days (I have originals too but obviously they don't get worn much). My favorite is of an unknown maker as it never had a label. I have my name on a WW2-style nametape, a 91st Bomb Group patch under that (off center, just like on originals) and a AAF insignia stamped above Bob Morgan's (the pilot of the Memphis Belle) signature on the liner!
On occasion I have been known to wear my AAF B-2 pilot and A-3 mechanic caps as outdoor casual wear as well. One recent weekend I got a wild hair and decided to wear my reproduction M-41 jacket with the War Correspondent patches on it. Several people commented on it, some even thought it was an original as the patch was English made and looks very accurate.

Some jackets plus.

I often wear chino style pants and when the weather turns cool or for cool evenings I will wear a tan color cloth A-2 style jacket I got from Sporty's the pilot supply site.

If it gets cooler then I will wear my brown cowhide A-2 style aviator jacket.

If it's cold (for Southern California) I will wear my East German great coat.

We just had a winter storm come thru and the higher elevations have snow. Several high pass interstate highway sections are still closed due to snow.

Here in Covina it went down to the low to mid 30's (F) last night and there was frost on the lawn this morning, it was one of the colder nights here. The jet stream is pushing arctic air down our way and when it gets tied to the right conditions we get some pretty good storms.

Anyway, it's an opportunity to wear some outwear I usually can't look at.

Marv

A-List Customer
M41

Currently utilising my M41 field jacket, trying out different combos.....at present I am liking the plain old simple casual style of M41, t-shirt and jeans which looks pretty good. (no pics at present sorry).

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Because of the freezing 40 degree weather (Hey it's Ca) I broke out my Field Jacket collection. I am finally going to really wear them instead of looking at them. So This week I wore Flectern, Austrian, DPM, French M-47 and a Norwegian M-43 wannabe. Next will be the M-42 Jump Jacket, Dennison Smock and the M-41. All are worn with a Wooly Pully under them. I just wear them to work not in public. In public I wear an A-2 with an OD Scarf so I can do my Col Savage impersonation. Normally I would not wear Militaria to work but I work with alot of similar minded guys at work.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
WWII Clothes wearing casual

Hi,
I wanted to let you know, I wear my WWII Khaki Trousers (I have 3 pairs now) at least a few times every WEEK to work. I work for a large IT Distribution company in which we wear business casual everyday. I wear my khakis, and my Corcoran Paratrooper boots too (of course with my pants OVER my boots). This is 100% true. I have 2 pairs of the khaki's that have plastic buttons, and the other pair of Khaki's I wear have ZINC buttons.
The khakis are so nice, that no one can tell the difference. In fact, alot of the new clothing folks have been trying to make their new clothes like the old army cloths. I specifically know Dockers made a K-1 khaki pant that was designed exactly like the WWII Khakis and the label states this.
I will try and upload some photos tonight.
I have a pair on right now as I am typing this message at work!

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran