Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Union Labels

Nick Charles

Practically Family
What are the different dates on the union tags in suits. I have one that i can clearly see as 1949, I have another that looks like the 49 tag but instead of red copyright numbers they are grey and it look like the dated says 1945. Is there a good place to find out? I also have a pair of shoes with an AFCW stamp inside, anyone have any info on them. My web searches are pretty blahh.

This just came up in an ebay forum:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000139359&tstart=40&mod=1132570986357

There is also a fedora lounge thread which deals with some union labels issues, but i can't recall where i found it. If i recall correctly the union labels were copyright 1939, 1949 and 1968 (i have garments with '39 or '49 tags). There was also the NRA label from 33-35?

sorry i couldn't help more ...

bk

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Definitive Guide to Union Labels

Hi folks, I'm new here.

Does someone know where I can get a definitive guide to dating suits via union labels? Thanks!

frontmanvintage

New in Town
Where is the website for Union Labels, please?

:confused: I am gathering info about Union Labels used in mens clothing from 1919 to 1975 to help with the dating process along with other criteria. Once compiled, I know that this will be invaluable information for buyers and sellers alike.

If anyone knows the website that was referred to in a previous post concerning this, please, please let me know.

ramblinBOB

One of the Regulars
1940 dated union label ?

HI i had seen a thread here on how to date union labels . i have a tweed suit with a union label thats dated copyright 1940 is it from 1940 or later ? please help guys . thanks

Duck

Practically Family
UNION LABELS - A Guide (Images)

If anyone has dated examples of the different union labels I sure would like to see them.
Thanks

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth.

This is the label inside a world war two officer's tunic. Dated 1939, but I know the tunic was not made until after 1941.
39unionlabel.jpg

This is such a confusing subject, as the union labels dates only indicate a possible range that a garment was produced.
I have seen labels dated 1940, then also 1949. [huh]
I believe the date is only the copyright date for the actual design of the label? I think some of the unions merged at times, and thus produced the change of logo, which remained basically the same, with the sewing machine inside the diamond shape.
So we can only guess at the date a garment was made as being somewhere between 1940 and 1949 if a tag says 1940. Then, if a tag is dated 1949, it could have been produced any time between 1949 and the date at which the tag changed again. Sometime in the 70s I think? [huh]
I hope someone can clear this up,...:eusa_doh:

Here I am, late to the party . . . plenty drinks in me, though.

'Tain't so hard. These are the ones you'll find in [American] menswear.

1933-'36 NRA tag. You won't see this tag very much.

NRANRATag.jpg

Most vintage menswear (suits/jackets) you'll find will have these tags from the ACWofA.

1936-'39 (note the date below OF)

1936.jpg

1939-'49 (two variants). Note it is pretty much the same as the 1936 tag.

1939-1.jpg

1939-2.jpg

1949-'68. This from a (probably) 60s jacket. I'm convinced that such tags with a red number are older than the ones with black numbers - though i have no good evidence, just that i see black numbers on later gear.

1949.jpg

I don't have a pic of the 69-onwards union label. Not very interesting. Text on a plastic tag that tends to wear off.

You'll often "see" different copyright date numbers on various of the tags above. You are being deceived, they are merely blurred versions of 1936, 1939 or 1949. There was not, and never has been, for example, a 1942 copyrighted union label from ACWofA.

There is also this one from a competitor union (UGWA). This one is from a pair of late 40s/early 50s trousers. Pretty crappy pic, but it has a pair of shaking hands in the centre of the oval. I've seen similar tags on 20s suits and 70s womens jeans, though in different fabrics. You won't see this tag very much.

UnionhandsTag.jpg

bk

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Ahh,...thanks Baron!

This does clear things up a bit. :) Now that you mention it I see red numbers on tags in older items.

So those labels I see that look like 1940 are actually 1949 then? And therefore the garment was made anytime between those dates,...'49 and '68.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo