Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Union Labels

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
caravan70 said:
That appears to be the consensus... I note, though, that in post #34 Feraud presented a label stamped July 30, 1956 that seems to have the R in the lower left corner. I wonder if anyone can shed light on this (unless the date was stamped on much later for some unfathomable reason)?

That stamped date confused me too, because the picture below of the coat shows a date of 1959 on the tag and it doesn't have the R in the circle. Looking at the photo it looks to me that it was stamped 1966 and with the stamp ink washed out like that it's possible that over time it looked more like a 5 than a 6.

caravan70

New in Town
GoldenEraFan said:
Looking at the photo it looks to me that it was stamped 1966 and with the stamp ink washed out like that it's possible that over time it looked more like a 5 than a 6.

That does indeed look like a possibility, now that I examine the photo a little more closely. Perhaps at some point Feraud would be willing to take another look at the garment, if it's still in his possession, and venture an opinion...

Thanks for what seems a very plausible explanation! :)

Darren

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Here's a 1933 era Union Tag.
CIMG1602.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It is dated March 1981 and the detailing and cut are consistent with that. And yet it has a 1949 union tag. So they're not reliable for dating the tail-end.
IMG_0418.jpg

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
It is dated March 1981 and the detailing and cut are consistent with that. And yet it has a 1949 union tag. So they're not reliable for dating the tail-end.
IMG_0418.jpg

That tag has the R in the circle was first put on the union label in 1962, being the only main difference from the 1949 union tag, which still read "Copyright 1949". The red vs. black numbering has also been debated over in terms of dating, though in my experience, I've only seen black numbers on post-1962 jackets.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Date Clothing Using the ACWA Amalgamated Clothing Workers Of America Label

I picked up a cool navy blue and black striped sport coat from a thrift store today. The lapels are skinny so I would say mid 50's to early 60's. The brand was Martel made for a local dept. store Younkers. My goal was to date the jacket. Inside the pocket I found half of the union label was sewn inside the jacket lining. I did make out the words Amalgamated Clothing and a picture of a sewing machine. Googled the name and here is what I found. Perhaps this may be of help to someone else or just a interesting read.

http://www.steelzipper.com/ACWA.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo