Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've always made a clear destination between Rock and Rock N Roll. The latter had it's start in blues and jazz and reached crossover appeal with Elvis, where as the former I always felt started in the early 60s with other bands trying to co-op the sound. IT reached its turning point with the Beatles and came into its own in the lat 60s early 70s with the Vietnam war.

Am I wrong?

LD

I would say that your time distinctions are correct, LD, although some historians insist that Rock 'n' Roll morphed into Rock a bit later. Regarding the roots of the former, though, I think we need to include the addition of Country Swing as a molder. Interestingly, the first recognized Rock 'n' Roll song to make the national American music charts (Billboard, Cash Box) was "Crazy, Man, Crazy," by Bill Haley with Haley's Comets in 1953.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What I want to know is: Why was Dick Haymes able to get out of the draft for simply being an Argentinian citizen? Many non-US citizens were drafted in WWII...
Haymes had children with Joanne Dru, his first wife. Maybe that helped defer his draft status. A physical also revealed high blood pressure.

Interestingly enough, Haymes took Irish citizenship late in life (he was 1st gen Irish on his father's side), mostly because he was broke and wanted to avoid taxes.

Last edited:

HepKitty

One Too Many
I love this thread! I've worked as a 'semi-professional' musician for 20 years and there are a lot of things I HATE playing. I've never really cared for the Beatles. I don't find the Boss enjoyable to listen to or play, and while I understand the importance of Nirvana in the rock musi scheme, I've neve cared for them. Oh, and the Doors and the Dead. Spare me. I do however belive Clapton is a God. And my love of classic rock ends about there. But for me, early Elvis (late 59, early 60's) is the coolest. Seriously. He oozed cool. And the Clash just changed my life. There are a few things that have been in my daily music rotation since I was a young kid: Sinatra, Martin, Elvis, the Clash, Nick Cave and Social Distortion.

I love the Clash! Social D isn't bad either :D

Oh and as a feeble attempt to redeem myself, I agree that Springsteen and Dylan suck. Rush too. You know I'm glad that Geddy Lee can sing, after all I like to sing too, but he has such a horrible voice that he really shouldn't. At least not where other people can hear and be offended.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Actually, Da Vinci and Monet did quite some coloring on crumpled notebook paper themselves, but that is besides the point.

Even worse than the cheesy retroswing is what they call 'Electro Swing'. If you don't know it, it is swing cut to shreds and shoehorned into an electronic beat. In the process, all the swing is beaten to death, and the incompatible sound of the vintage swing and the electronic beats throw you in an acute attack of cognitive dissonance.

True enough, although I had crude kiddie "Fridge Art" in mind. I couldn't agree more on the topic of electro-swing. Unfortunately, after reading your post, the ES version of the Andrew's Sister's "Rum and Cola" clawed its way out of my subconscious, and refuses to go back.

"When I hear jazz musicians today playing all those same licks we used to play so long ago, I feel sad for them..." - Miles Davis

Different note here, but, while myself and others may not appreciate the outcome, I can kinda respect the artists who went out on a limb to try something new as opposed to stagnating in their past accomplishments.

What's there to do these days in music that hasn't already been done?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80