Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

I'm sure a lot of people here won't speak to me again, but I think Sinatra is overrated. I don't get the love for the music. I think he was a mediocre crooner at best. Maybe what people respond to most is the lifestyle? Okay, I understand that, but I don't get the music. LD

Sinatra has a series of time specific styles that he grows into. He was a consumate professional when it came to making music in the studio. He was by the late 1950's intimately familiar with the orchestration and how he wanted the music to sound. Over time he was able to take the same songs and rework them into the later styles. He also perfected a phrasing style that few can even imitate successfully.

just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder taste is individual.

FinnSpinn

New in Town
True enough, although I had crude kiddie "Fridge Art" in mind. I couldn't agree more on the topic of electro-swing. Unfortunately, after reading your post, the ES version of the Andrew's Sister's "Rum and Cola" clawed its way out of my subconscious, and refuses to go back.

"When I hear jazz musicians today playing all those same licks we used to play so long ago, I feel sad for them..." - Miles Davis

Different note here, but, while myself and others may not appreciate the outcome, I can kinda respect the artists who went out on a limb to try something new as opposed to stagnating in their past accomplishments.

What's there to do these days in music that hasn't already been done?

Musicians and composers stand on the shoulders of others. Music does not fall from the sky, it comes from somewhere. The trick is to add to it, change it, improve it. Not trample on it. And now put on some proper music and push "Rum and Cocacola" out of your mind!

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
I feel the same way after listening to the Beatles.:eusa_doh::p

Ok, name one song that bears merit---not something that they were copying Chuck, Elvis or some of the other stars of the time. Definitely not any of the maggot infested hippie stuff from later either. Duck! :laser::hippie: Got him just before he got away. :D

Lennon and McCartney
[video=youtube;kfbSI15wjQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfbSI15wjQI[/video]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yep, never the saw the big attraction of the Stones. And Jagger looks like he needs a flea bath. Not to mention Richards.

On Saturday Night Live, in a sketch where Joe Piscopo "played" Sinatra, he referred to Richards as walking death...That brief epitath has never left me. Come on, the guy took a hit on his father's ashes (yes, I mean his father's cremated ashes...).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I find the whole spectacle of elderly men prancing around on stage and screaming like teenagers to be very very creepy. At least it's possible for an elderly jazz musician to be dignified about it.

Very true. I have a video of Tex Beneke singing for a "live" audience somewhere. He must have been about 85, and had to be helped a bit to the microphone (I recall my almost as old father, on watching it, saying, "That's okay, Tex."). Yet when he began Chattanooga Choo Choo, the years seem to shed off, and the audience loved it.

rue

On Saturday Night Live, in a sketch where Joe Piscopo "played" Sinatra, he referred to Richards as walking death...That brief epitath has never left me. Come on, the guy took a hit on his father's ashes (yes, I mean his father's cremated ashes...).

I remember that skit lol

I know how horrible and incomprehensible it is that he did that, but we can't base musical likes with morals or we'd all be listening to Christian rock. Not that I'm defending Richards or the Stones mind you. I can't stand them.

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'll give you that Phil Collins is worse, but that whole sledgehammer thing was awful. So was Shock the Monkey.

That was 20+ years ago! He's made a lot of albums since then.

I also think Robert Palmer had total potential of going beyond that sound if he didn't die when he did. But, I respect your opinion.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats