Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I was just categorizing rap by the definition of music as it was taught to me in a music appreciation class. Music by definition is composed of the three elements that I mentioned. If rap music is missing an element, I surmised that it is not “music” by definition, but a musical art form.

Music technically needs to be composed of three elements: melody, rhythm, and chords.

A more appropriate statement of you elements would be: pitch, rhythm, and harmony.

The reason I chose replaced melody with pitch is that in a lot of late 19th and early 20th century music (Debussy and Stravinsky come to mind, not to say that neither of them wrote melodies. They wrote some beautiful melodies) as well as much of the music before the 18th century, there are pieces of music which are completely devoid of anything that could truly be called melody. So, pitch seems to be the essential quality, not melody.

Likewise chords should be replaced by harmony, since the concept of chords is a relatively modern one, dating back only to the late 18th century. Harmony, while it can refer to a specific set of rules, also from the 18th century, can more generally refer to organized simultaneity pitch.

Rhythm, is, however, definitely one of the principal qualities of music.

However, even with these slight semantic changes, I am not sure that the definition holds up, because there are plenty of things which could definitely be called music which lack one or more of these concepts.

Take, for example, plainchant, or as it is often called, Gregorian chant. It does not exhibit harmony at all, and doesn't really exhibit rhythm in any strong sense. By your statement, it would be excluded from the definition of music.
[video=youtube;Dlr90NLDp-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0[/video]

Also, much dance music across the world has been traditionally the sole domain of percussion, so rhythm alone. I think it would be arrogant to the extreme to consider these forms not music simply because they fail to fit your definition.

That said, I don't like rap particularly much either. I think that as a genre, it has potential, as the marriage of spoken poetry and music, without masking said poetry in song. It has the potential for a lot of raw power, and also sophistication, but I very rarely see anything coming close to this ideal.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Fun Fact: Danny Elfman quotes Dies Irae in a number of his compositions. "Making Christmas" has always been a favorite of mine.

[video=youtube;aKAxikZmY-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKAxikZmY-0[/video]

Read more: http://cobbsymphony.org/explore/?p=101

Duke Ellington's works have also had a strong influence on Elfman's compositional style. "After Midnight" from "Chicago" and "Oogie Boogie's Song" from "The Nightmare Before Christmas" are heavily reminiscent of "Mood Indigo" and "The Mooche" respectively.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Fun Fact: Danny Elfman quotes Dies Irae in a number of his compositions. "Making Christmas" has always been a favorite of mine.

Read more: http://cobbsymphony.org/explore/?p=101

Duke Ellington's works have also had a strong influence on Elfman's compositional style.

I like his music, despite it tending to sound pretty similar, it fits the movies well. However, I was told a story by one of his orchestrators (I don't remember her name) who was handed a scrap of paper with a couple notes scribbled on it, and told to make it into an entire movie, which Elfman then got credit for. It was the Batman theme.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
However, I was told a story by one of his orchestrators (I don't remember her name) who was handed a scrap of paper with a couple notes scribbled on it, and told to make it into an entire movie, which Elfman then got credit for. It was the Batman theme.

...did she at least get any kind of credit?

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
I like his music, despite it tending to sound pretty similar, it fits the movies well. However, I was told a story by one of his orchestrators (I don't remember her name) who was handed a scrap of paper with a couple notes scribbled on it, and told to make it into an entire movie, which Elfman then got credit for. It was the Batman theme.

Something tells me that that story is exaggerated, if not entirely fabricated. Everybody knows that Elfman doesn't orchestrate his own scores. (Who in Hollywood does, though? Even John Williams works with orchestrators.) But as far as I know, besides providing detailed sketches of his scores, he actually has a bit of input in the actual orchestrations. And isn't Steve Bartek his orchestrator anyway? They have a close relationship and have been working together since the early Oingo Boingo days.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I am sure that it was pretty exaggerated. Anyway, the problem is that Elfman doesn't really come from a musical background that supports writing orchestral music.

Anyway, my info on him comes mostly second and third hand, so it isn't really that reliable, but I was told that out of the big film composers, he is one of the worst as far as how much of the actual music is his. (Hanz Zimmer is also a bit questionable at times). However, I will give you that the man writes great themes.

From what I have heard (even less reliable than my other statements, this one is just hearsay), Howard Shore does most of his own orchestration.

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I am sure that it was pretty exaggerated. Anyway, the problem is that Elfman doesn't really come from a musical background that supports writing orchestral music.

Anyway, my info on him comes mostly second and third hand, so it isn't really that reliable, but I was told that out of the big film composers, he is one of the worst as far as how much of the actual music is his. (Hanz Zimmer is also a bit questionable at times). However, I will give you that the man writes great themes.

From what I have heard (even less reliable than my other statements, this one is just hearsay), Howard Shore does most of his own orchestration.

I wouldn't doubt the information about Shore. With some of the better-trained composers, working with orchestrators is simply a time-saving operation. Sure, John Williams has orchestrators, but they don't provide any creative input. They're basically copyists. He writes detailed notes, and his orchestrators notate according to his wishes.

But, yeah, everybody knows that Elfman doesn't actually know how to notate anything. I think most of his scores after The Nightmare Before Christmas aren't really worth listening to, but he really was able to write some pretty great tunes. I love Oingo Boingo. Well, anything before 1983, that is. After that, it becomes really inconsistent. And by the end of their career, it just becomes painfully bad. Only a Lad, their EP from 1980, and the soundtrack to The Forbidden Zone are fantastic, though.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Unpopular: I like Blink 182 :eek:

I also like the BeeGees and Bay City Rollers. I *LOVE* bubblegum pop. It's my favourite type of music, really.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
A more appropriate statement of you elements would be: pitch, rhythm, and harmony.

The reason I chose replaced melody with pitch is that in a lot of late 19th and early 20th century music (Debussy and Stravinsky come to mind, not to say that neither of them wrote melodies. They wrote some beautiful melodies) as well as much of the music before the 18th century, there are pieces of music which are completely devoid of anything that could truly be called melody. So, pitch seems to be the essential quality, not melody.

Likewise chords should be replaced by harmony, since the concept of chords is a relatively modern one, dating back only to the late 18th century. Harmony, while it can refer to a specific set of rules, also from the 18th century, can more generally refer to organized simultaneity pitch.

Rhythm, is, however, definitely one of the principal qualities of music.

However, even with these slight semantic changes, I am not sure that the definition holds up, because there are plenty of things which could definitely be called music which lack one or more of these concepts.

Take, for example, plainchant, or as it is often called, Gregorian chant. It does not exhibit harmony at all, and doesn't really exhibit rhythm in any strong sense. By your statement, it would be excluded from the definition of music.
[video=youtube;Dlr90NLDp-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0[/video]

Also, much dance music across the world has been traditionally the sole domain of percussion, so rhythm alone. I think it would be arrogant to the extreme to consider these forms not music simply because they fail to fit your definition.

That said, I don't like rap particularly much either. I think that as a genre, it has potential, as the marriage of spoken poetry and music, without masking said poetry in song. It has the potential for a lot of raw power, and also sophistication, but I very rarely see anything coming close to this ideal.

Yeah, harmony was the correct term, I just remembered wrong. Perhaps those three things were just the elements of music, not the definition. I took that class a long time ago. For the most part I like music to be strong in all three, so maybe I was projecting there a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy