Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Urgent A2 question: how much length should I add?

(BTW, the length of the jacket Gene Hackman is wearing looks to be on the long side for an A2 to me...and yet it is a great looking jacket that looks great on him. )
It's not actually. He's bent over and wearing hi-rise pants. Those were the best pics I could find. And if I looked 1/2 as good as he does in that movie, I'd be thrilled.

Edward

Bartender
Would Clyde Barrow have been able to access an A2 in the early 1930's? He was shot dead in '34.

Hackman didn't play Clyde, though the question still stands. I suspect that given when the film was made (70s), Hollywood was less concerned about period accuracy than they tend to be now, and so a military style roughly of the period could have slipped into civilian wear. Of course it's possible - certainly later on a lot of civilian "A2"s were on the market (same with the B15 copies of later years). I don't know how likely this was in the early 30s, but it is, I imagine, technically possible. Didn't Howard Hughes wear a very A2-styled jacket?

majormajor

One Too Many
No epaulettes - private purchase?

I suspect it was made up for the film, and the tailor simply forgot the epaulettes.

Here's a Lobby Card for the film, where Michael J Pollard's Levi denim has morphed, thanks to a bit of colorisation, into a "leather" jacket.

I guess they thought it looked meaner!:D;)

michaeljpollard.jpg

Actually, it looks quite good in leather!!;)

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Sir Jacket, I can't help suspecting that the 26.5" you wanted would have been too short. Have a little bit of faith my man there still is every chance this has worked out for the best!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The guy's been doing this since the 1960s, he's probably forgotten more about making jackets than most people know. :D

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I suspect it was made up for the film, and the tailor simply forgot the epaulettes.

Here's a Lobby Card for the film, where Michael J Pollard's Levi denim has morphed, thanks to a bit of colorisation, into a "leather" jacket.

I guess they thought it looked meaner!:D;)

michaeljpollard.jpg

Actually, it looks quite good in leather!!;)

An LVC Menlo Cossack ;-)

Edward

Bartender
Blimey, I always thought the Borders accent was one of the clearest, on account of its proximity to England. If you want hard, try Orkney's! I phoned somebody up there yesterday and in a two minute conversation picked up barely every third word. That's what you get for being invaded by Vikings, I suppose... :D

Ha.... the main problem I had understanding anyone in the borders was due to the influx of Geordies in places like Hawick.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
(...)
I am 184cm, athletic build; the jacket is a size 40. Is 2 inches too much to add? If I am going to call the factory with changes, I'd better do it quickly.

Sir J

Hi!

I am not athletic built but have got exact the same height as you.

So if you like the length of my jacket go with 26.5":

Kind regards,

Johannes

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi!

I am not athletic built but have got exact the same height as you.

So if you like the length of my jacket go with 26.5":

Kind regards,

Johannes

Perfect length, Johannes.

Bottom of leather just about level with top of trouser belt. Perfect:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt