Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Wings garment quality

Edward

Bartender
Apologies if I've doubled up on a thread - I can't find what I'm looking for in the search.

How is the quality of US Wings brand stuff? I chanced across their website, and their prices seem crazy low compared to most anywhere else. In particular, I'm halfway tempted by one of their B-15 jackets which are selling for about a quarter or less of the price I've seen on them on the likes of the Buzz Rickson stuff. I realise they're likely to be "wrong" on a detail here and there, but for a late forties / early fifties period jacket on civvy street, how are they? Are the Buzz Rickson jackets simply worth paying the extra for (I don't mind so much paying more if the jacket would last me for twnety years instead of two or three!).

Oh.... anyone any experience with their trousers etc as well? Maybe I'm too immersed in having looked at sites with the full on histroical recreations, but the US Wings stuff seems so cheap by comparision, I'd be worried it wasn't any good. There's things like the USAAF khakis, that I'd be looking at wearing as civilian garments rather than as a uniform, so if the quality of the garment was fine it'd not bother me that the details were off here and there, provided the general period look was fine.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't have any experience with their Cockpit B-15, but most of their nylon B-15s are made by Alpha - and you can often find them for better prices elsewhere, like the Barre Army Navy Store. I've got one of these, and it's a very serviceable winter jacket... but there's no way that it's a proper repro. From the really obvious stuff (like the removable bogus fur on the collar) to the more obscure fine points of zipper hardware and insulation material, it's just very wrong. If you're interested in a serious, accurate repro, you've got to shell out the bucks for a Buzz Rickson's - but if you just want a vaguely replica-ish knockabout jacket, the Alpha is okay. It *is* a very warm, comfortable, practical garment.

And US Wings leather jackets (however they are designated/described) are essentially nothing-special current-spec jackets, equivalent to recent Coopers and Avirexes. They are okay for what they are, but they aren't even in the league of Gibson & Barnes current-spec jackets, much less actual repro jackets from the premimum makers. I recently got one of their goatskin Indy jackets on clearance and was very underwhelmed: the cut/fit was bizarre and unflattering, and the materials and detailing were pretty undistinguished - I ended up giving it to a friend who it fit a little better. (The quality and fit of my custom Wested has spoiled me!)

US Wings fills a necessary budget slot in the range of jacket offerings out there, and they're *okay* for what they are - lots of casually interested folks who haven't done the research or handled the higher-end jackets love 'em - but if you're interested in *repros*, you should probably look elsewhere.

griffer

Practically Family
Well, I am not a purist.

I have been happy with Bill's khakis for the 90% replicas, and for $80US, i was pleased with my Indy goat skin.

Although, I will be treating it to darken and gloss it up a bit.

Yes, you will get what you pay for, but it all depends on what your 'tolerances' are.

With that said, this is not a criticism of the purists- I learn so much from the research these guys do. They enable me to make informed compromises.

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi edward, A ot of the cheaper repros are badly cut. They'll keep you warm, but you won't necessarily cut the svelte figure I'm guessing you'd desire!

The jackets that are cut to a 30-50s pattern are beautiful, and far more flattering.... personally I'd pay the extra.

But the US wings are perfectly good as jackets, just not 'period' jackets... I'll stop rambling...

:) Rufus

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I'm still in that awkward period where I have all the desires and none of the budget to buy them, so I'm looking around and learning about what's out there so as not to make a mistake when i do! Sounds like the trews and bits might be fine from US Wings (depending on international shipping costs - wouldn't be the first time if it looked like a great deal until I checked out the shipping costs!)

The FL is definitely dangderous, it's played right to the anal retentive in me when it comes to details on the flying jackets.... Originally all I wanted was an A2, but I have to admit a long suppressed urge for a decent, non-leather casual jacket for the colder months resurfaced when I caught sight of a Buzz Rickson B-10 first..... hmmn. I think I might wait until i can afford one of those, as jackets seem to be something that lasts with me much longer than trousers.

What I'm really tempted by in terms of the US Wings leathers is the kids Indy jacket, in a few years when nephew is a bit bigger. I loved the kids size A2s on the Aero site, but they seem hellishly expensive bearing in mind how damn quick kids grow out of stuff!!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Totally understood - I've been at this for years, but I have yet to make it up to the first class stuff (when you're divorced with kids, the disposable income is already disposed of!), and I've been exploring all the budget choices myself. Among the things I've learned:

Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes - their basic modern-spec jackets are definitely better made than the Cooper/Avirex/Wings stuff in roughly the same price range, and their Historical line is great if you're okay with the larger cut/sizing and generic styling. (I love my M-422A.)

US Authentic - if their odd sizing works for you at all, their A-2s are a very good value, providing reasonable semi-authenticity with good materials, handmade in a tiny shop. (My mega-tough horsehide A-2 will probably outlive me!)

Wested - for Indy jackets, they're the ones; the G&B Expedition may be a lot tougher, and some folks are okay with the crude S-M-L sizing and blah detailing of US Wings Indy jackets, but you really can't beat Wested's custom sizing and choice of hides and options for the price. (I've got a Raiders lambskin for "summer" wear which I love dearly.)

Alpha - re nylon flight jackets, no, they're not really "repros," but they look good and their quality is okay for solid, functional jackets in the under-$100 range. (Their B-15 is my main jacket through the dead of winter.)

Leather jackets for little kids? It only seems worth it if they have siblings or friends who can inherit them after the year or two that they actually fit! (In the case of my own son, I've never gotten him leather: it's been a succession of cheap Korean knock-off MA-1s, plus a surprisingly nice Avirex WEP jacket that I got him at the height of his Stargate fandom.)

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Totally understood - I've been at this for years, but I have yet to make it up to the first class stuff (when you're divorced with kids, the disposable income is already disposed of!), and I've been exploring all the budget choices myself.

I'm at the fairly-new to this and early 30s with no relationship stage - you know, thinknig that maybe it's time I maybe considered the really good stuff in case a relationship comes alongand that sort of expenditure isn't an option any longer, but not wanting to spend more than I have to stage. ;) All advice gratefully received! :)

Among the things I've learned:

Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes - their basic modern-spec jackets are definitely better made than the Cooper/Avirex/Wings stuff in roughly the same price range, and their Historical line is great if you're okay with the larger cut/sizing and generic styling. (I love my M-422A.)

US Authentic - if their odd sizing works for you at all, their A-2s are a very good value, providing reasonable semi-authenticity with good materials, handmade in a tiny shop. (My mega-tough horsehide A-2 will probably outlive me!)

Wested - for Indy jackets, they're the ones; the G&B Expedition may be a lot tougher, and some folks are okay with the crude S-M-L sizing and blah detailing of US Wings Indy jackets, but you really can't beat Wested's custom sizing and choice of hides and options for the price. (I've got a Raiders lambskin for "summer" wear which I love dearly.)

Alpha - re nylon flight jackets, no, they're not really "repros," but they look good and their quality is okay for solid, functional jackets in the under-$100 range. (Their B-15 is my main jacket through the dead of winter.)

All really useful, thanks. :) It's especially helpful I find to have advice about these things because inevitably I'll be buying online and quite possibly from the US. Returning is a pain for any mail order, but it's even more of a hassle with the US as it doesn't refund any customs charges (and I think i'd be liable maybe for a second set as the stuff comes back in too!), and just the inconvenience of it all. Much better to get it right first time around!

Leather jackets for little kids? It only seems worth it if they have siblings or friends who can inherit them after the year or two that they actually fit! (In the case of my own son, I've never gotten him leather: it's been a succession of cheap Korean knock-off MA-1s, plus a surprisingly nice Avirex WEP jacket that I got him at the height of his Stargate fandom.)

I know what you mean. I'm kinda doing the 'funky uncle who lives away' kinda thing - the little one is my brother's kid, they're still back in Ireland. I'll not see as much of him growing up as otherwise I might do, so no doubt I'll end up spending a little more than I otherwise would when it comes to birthdays and Christmases over the years. He's still only about nine months old, so no hurry - if he gets leather it'll be in a few years time when he'll be old enough to appreciate it and he'll be able to wear it for at least a year before he grows out of it! Definitely, though, one has to be practical.... I don't know whether there will be any future younger sibling or not; Sarah was an only child, and I'm the only uncle or aunt (what's the collective term for that? Must be one, an equivalent of grandparent...) on his dad's side, so cousins are'nt gonig to happen. :)

Funnily enough, I did see on eBay the other day a really nice non-accurate but fairly period looking little modern baby winter jacket that looked a lot like a B-10, that might be an option if i track one! If I'm rich and still around by then and he's grown up with a sense of style, maybe a "real" B-10 from Aero or the likes for a 21st might be an option, ha.

griffer

Practically Family
Edward said:
...I'm kinda doing the 'funky uncle who lives away' kinda thing....

I laughed. And probably for the wrong reason.

But look at your avatar and read that again! ;)

"Daddy, when's Uncle Luci-fop going to visit again? He promised me a cravat..."

Not meaning to cross any lines, all in good fun!

Edward

Bartender
griffer said:
I laughed. And probably for the wrong reason.

But look at your avatar and read that again! ;)

"Daddy, when's Uncle Luci-fop going to visit again? He promised me a cravat..."

Not meaning to cross any lines, all in good fun!

lol lol lol

Yeah, I've always threatened that if they had kids, I'd be the one of the side offering style advice and making a rebel of them.... his Dad just rolls his eyes, he's used to me (he always was the "normal" one out of us, :) ), his Mum, well, I doubt there's an awful lot that kid can grow up to do (within reason!) that she'll be shocked by, long as he keeps himself out of trouble. lol

He's only just started talking, hmmn, Uncle LuciFop sounds like a cool name.... :D

Muzz

New in Town
I have two uswings jackets, an Indy and a G-1, they're both awesome. The G-1 has a great close fit. For the money, I say go for it. I would never want to spend more than 400 bucks on a jacket, so they're perfect for me! It is too bad that Wings has left their true sizing behind, ordering something so pricey in "SM, M, L, XL" kinda sucks.

Edward

Bartender
Muzz said:
I have two uswings jackets, an Indy and a G-1, they're both awesome. The G-1 has a great close fit. For the money, I say go for it. I would never want to spend more than 400 bucks on a jacket, so they're perfect for me! It is too bad that Wings has left their true sizing behind, ordering something so pricey in "SM, M, L, XL" kinda sucks.

Yeah, that's an issue for me, I am very picky about fits. A lot of times I find a large is too baggy in a jacket, but a generic medium doesn't fit right over the shoulders....

Muzz

New in Town
I went with a 42 Long for the G-1. I'm 6'3'' 205. If you want that close fit in the torso, but enough length in the arms, go down a size from your norm and get it in long. It at least worked for me. You can still type in your size in the Wings order form, and also let them know you want a close fit in the "notes" box, I did, and it all worked out. Good luck, hope you pull the trigger soon!

pardon the grainy pics, my computer took them, so much faster!

G-1
Photo48.jpg

Photo52.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Muzz said:
I went with a 42 Long for the G-1. I'm 6'3'' 205. If you want that close fit in the torso, but enough length in the arms, go down a size from your norm and get it in long. It at least worked for me. You can still type in your size in the Wings order form, and also let them know you want a close fit in the "notes" box, I did, and it all worked out. Good luck, hope you pull the trigger soon!

pardon the grainy pics, my computer took them, so much faster!

G-1
Photo48.jpg

Photo52.jpg

Looks good.... is that a black jacket?

Muzz

New in Town
Nope, dark brown goat. In answer to your first post, a US Wings will last you a very long time. Great solid quality, I can't imagine either of mine wearing out from normal use.

griffer

Practically Family
A note on ordering from U.S. Wings.

There sizes aren't consistent across different jacket styles and the chart on their web site is misleading.

I called them and they knew their stock very well and pointed me toward the right jacket.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
uswings sizing and quality

i have mixed feelings on uswings, but the most important part of that mix is excellent in the feeling dept...

as others have mentioned, it depends what jackets you get...i think uswings gets stigmatized as a generic/low authenticity jacket maker because of the wide range of civilian jackets they sell which are military in the sense of being generalized replicas, but with civilian blowsier sizing and with non milspec stuff like slash front pockets on a-2s...ychhhhhhhhhh! so from that perspective i think their king of generica reputation is earned, well earned...

but a big HoWeVaaaaH...

if you buy their milspec stuff, it is the actual milspec military stuff...it is good, and it holds up...as mentioned in another post on uswings, i bought their g-1 uscoastguard milspec 4 years ago, it still looks new and it is the same milspec that my coastguard pals have...actually the same milspec as the navy g-1 except that the coast guard milspec allows the hidden side handwarmer pockets...has the uscoastguard name in perforations on the wind flap...totally accurate...ww2 accurate, NO...but accurate to current and likely vietnam and after g-1 milspec

as for the a-2, i'd definitely noTTTTTTTTTTTT get their civvy version of an a-2...but if you get their milspec (signature goatskin a-2) it is even better than current milspec, which in the last two years has accepted side handwarmer pockets and no throat latch...the uswings milspec is totally milspec on the latch and pockets, and trimmer fit...if you notice when ordering it, the sizing info states 'military' fit, which is generally 1 size trimmer...i needed a 46 long with their milspec g-1, and have ordered a 46 regular in their milspec a-2, however i take a 44 jacket in civilian sizes...

it all depends on what you want out of a jacket, but while purists may sneer at uswings, and in some part are justified, for current milspec jackets, if you get uswings milspec offerings such as the g-1 and a-2, they are the real deal used currently by us forces...and i will say unequivocally, as much as anyone wishes to have a cooper milspec in their quiver for collector's purposes, the fit and thin leather of the coopers comes nowhere near uswings milspec...

if you want to raise the bar to ww2 standards, then obviously no, go to the $1000 buck per jacket replicators for that...i'm happy to be a current milspec enthusiast...but it does take a bit of knowledge nevertheless to negotiate a site like uswings and cherry pick the stuff of authenticity

hope i've helped a bit

johnnyjohnny

ldmax

Familiar Face
Alpha B15

I have an Alpha B15 that I got off eBay for $39. It is a very warm, high quality winter jacket with a cool 50's 'jet jockey' look. It actually is a fairly decent replica of a B15D, the last version made (issued 1953-1957). It is very close to the correct shade of green, has wool knits, and the green fake mouton collar (the USAF switched to fake mouton on the B15D). It would have been worth $100, but $39 was unbeatable for a nice winter jacket.

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot