Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF bomber pilot uniform

Bunny-75

New in Town
Hi. First post here.

I recently bought Schotts A-2 jacket which is somewhat close to those worn in the war, but only for the uneducated minds.

Anyway that jacket got me intrigued to maybe collect an authentic bomber pilot flight uniform, but not just any. I was thinking something really light like just dress uniform + the leather jacket. Something worn in hot climates or in low altitude missions? I gathered a simple basic kit list what I've read and saw on photos and it's something like this:

- Crush cap (khaki or green)
- Tie (khaki or green)
- service shirt
- service pants
- Dress shoes (rosette)
- khaki web belt
- A-2 jacket

Few things I want to clarify if some of you can answer.

- Which colour of the cap? Whats the difference?

- Are the pink pants the only option? Are these suitable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Army...700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bfe6a294

- Does the shirt have to be khaki? Was the "chocolate" shirt used by pilots?

Which shirt model is the correct one?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Army...283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e9d2ca73

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Army...698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2e335972

- Am I missing something else?

Thanks!!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You should check places that manufacture new stuff for re-enacting. For example:

http://www.atthefront.com/

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/

And yeah, you can do much better than a Schott A-2. For a bargain start, check out US Authentic. Or - if you can spend more - Gibson & Barnes, Eastman, Aero, Good Wear, etc. There are an awful lot of great reproduction WWII A-2s out there!

Welcome to the Lounge. I strongly suggest that you spend some time doing searches, there's a VAST amount of info here on this kind of thing.

Edward

Bartender
What size of A2 do you need? If you're in the 38 to 40 range, keep an eye on eBay - I very regularly see Eastman and Aero options selling for in the region of GBP200 or much less (that's much less than half the new price for most of them these days), and these are the most common sizes. Maybe because a lot of guys get them in their late teens / early twenties then grow out of them? I take a 42 myself, and have had a couple of bargain on eBay, but you do have to wait longer with the bigger sizes. Another alternative to consider might be one of the cloth jackets. Given that they were very much latecomers to the war (messages took longer to get to the US from Europe in those days, I guess.... ;) ), while a lot of USAAF boys that flew over Europe were issued with A2s, many did receive the B10s and earl B15s from 1943... If you're looking at new, a presentable B10 repro can be had markedly cheaper than a passable A2 these days.

Check out the links Doctor Strange has provided here. Remember too that the USAAF was a subsidiary department of the US Army (it didn't become the USAF and a separate branch of service in and of itself until 47), so the uniforms they wore were made up of the same components as regular army. say this because (at least from a UK perspective) when you know what you're looking for it seems that decent repros are more plentifully available and a bit cheaper as US Army than those specifically labelled as USAAF, which seems to command a certain premium for the added glamour of the air war. (not that there was anything glamorous about bombing missions over Germany, but hey when did pop culture need historical reality to get by?).

Re the cap..... if memory serves, the tan caps were lighter an unlined, and tended to be worn in hotter climes, so they would be more associated with the war in the pacific, whereas the green crusher caps are more commonly associated with the ETO.

Bunny-75

New in Town
My size is 48 long so finding authentic A-2 is a real bitch. But the jacket isn't really what I lack of info. I didn't buy the Schott with the WWII uniform in my mind. That was just damn cool jacket and pretty much the only one (I know) with inner fur lining. It's -30C - -40C here, so I need it :D

Thanks for the links! I've searhed this WWII forum already, but I guess not well enough because I posted this. The biggest question is about the shirt and the pants and generally that what was the minimal flight uniform.

Remember too that the USAAF was a subsidiary department of the US Army (it didn't become the USAF and a separate branch of service in and of itself until 47), so the uniforms they wore were made up of the same components as regular army.

Good point!

Re the cap..... if memory serves, the tan caps were lighter an unlined, and tended to be worn in hotter climes, so they would be more associated with the war in the pacific, whereas the green crusher caps are more commonly associated with the ETO.

Thanks. I recall reading something like that but wasn't sure.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
As stated, uniforms were prescribed by the theatre commands.
My recommendation is get a good reference book. It will answer your questions and its cheaper than buying the incorrect item.
Uniforms whether original or repro are expensive.
Get "Gear Up" by Jon Maguire or either book by Gregory Pons.
Maguire's series are the best available.
If you want to view before buying, try your library.
Good luck....

W.A.Mack

New in Town
Sorry for the late post. One question has not been answered. Which theater of the war do you intend to reenact? If you are going for the Pacific or Mediterranean the khaki cotton uniform would be appropriate. If you are going for the ETO in NW Europe, I would suggest wools. The wools came in a variety of colors, and fabrics. Dark Chocolate green, a beige color often called Pinks and the standard army OD. Either way I would suggest a recognised vendor. In addition to the two above websites I would suggest a third.
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/
I would stay away from the above ebay store. As others have said research the unit you intend to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner