Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF MEMORIAL

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Howdy folks,

last weekend me and my saddle partner headed to Duxford, to visit the Flying Legends Air Show. We decided to spend the nights on a campground a few miles north west of Duxford in a little town called Fowlmere.

Here we found an USAAF MERMORIAL. Read what we found out:

Fowlmere has a long association with aviation starting in 1916 when land was leased as a landing station for aeroplanes. Then in 1918 a large aerodrome was constructed with six massive 'Belfast truss type' hangars, accommodation, workshops and instructional huts. It was however demolished in 1922/23. In 1940, the RAF used the fields of Manor Farm again as an airfield and during 1943 the airfield was expanded to become Station 378 of the USAAF and was used by the 339th Fighter Group flying P51 Mustangs. The Americans left in 1945.

DSC02013Medium.jpg

Watch the original T2 hangar in the far left.

DSC02011Medium.jpg

DSC02012Medium.jpg

DSC02010Medium.jpg

Some barracks are still left.

We had some nice moments at that place.

J.B.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hey J.B. nice piece of info. Just imagine standing there exactly 60 years ago !! Wow !! The MP's would have arrested you as a spy !! ;)

I unfortunately didn't make it to Duxford last weekend but I hoped that you had a really good time! Got anymore pics from last weekend?

Cheers !

Roy

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
J.B - Awesome pics and inside the aircraft too ! Just great !

It was a bit of a sore point with the ex wife, hence not going with the kids who were so excited for that weekend ! Had to loose 3 Gold Passes and gave them to my colleague and his kids....Nevermind ! We will be there 2nd September for the Sally B Roll of Honour as I have got the kids' names on the side of her!:) They will have to lever me out of her once they let me inside !:p

Cheerio !

Roy

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
DiabolicalAngel said:
J.B - Awesome pics and inside the aircraft too ! Just great !

It was a bit of a sore point with the ex wife, hence not going with the kids who were so excited for that weekend ! Had to loose 3 Gold Passes and gave them to my colleague and his kids....Nevermind ! We will be there 2nd September for the Sally B Roll of Honour as I have got the kids' names on the side of her!:) They will have to lever me out of her once they let me inside !:p

Cheerio !

Roy

Same old story...:mad:

But what about that Sally B Roll of Honour? Please tell me more.

cheers

J.B.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hi J.B.

The Sally B Roll of Honor is basically a donation of a minimum of £360 to get your name or chosen name to appear on the side of the plane for 2 years. They will invite you to attend the the unvieling on 2nd Sept in conjunction with the Spitfire Anniversary show at Duxford, you will be their guest for the day. On top of that your name will be entered into a hat to become a crew member and fly in her etc etc. Ideal if my kids win, I could get them all into the ball turret and leave them there !!!! I would just love to stand in the top turret and shout '109's 12 o'clock high' and let the fifties let rip or sit in the pilot's seat and say , 'bail out bail out!.......sorry lost the plot there...........:p

It should be a fun day out, got 3 kids' names to go on !!! My daughter now wants the nose art of Sally B on a new A-2 ! Not exactly fitting as it is of a nude lady !!:eek:

Go on J.B. I lknow you are itching to get your name on her too !!!!!

Cheers,

Roy

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JB in USAAF outfits, at Operational Airfield in England 44..!

J.B.Saxon said:
The MP wouldn´t do nothing, I think, as we stood there in USAAF kit.

Take a peep on an other thread to see some more pics:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10029

Cheers!

J.B.

J.B.Saxon said:
The MP wouldn´t do nothing, I think, as we stood there in USAAF kit.

J.B.

JB...Maybe the MP's would be rather interested in you and the boys and shoot on sight with a group of Germans in USAAF uniforms!! Might think you are there to cause some fireworks on the base!!! :)Like something out of one of Otto Skorzenzys' Commando Companys!! (think of reversing the..., Ardennes 1944, and German/Americans dressed up as American MPs to cause havoc with the Yank troops!).

All in jest of course my friend!! glad you and the boys enjoyed it!

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
PADDY said:
JB...Maybe the MP's would be rather interested in you and the boys and shoot on sight with a group of Germans in USAAF uniforms!! Might think you are there to cause some fireworks on the base!!! :)Like something out of one of Otto Skorzenzys' Commando Companys!! (think of reversing the..., Ardennes 1944, and German/Americans dressed up as American MPs to cause havoc with the Yank troops!).

All in jest of course my friend!! glad you and the boys enjoyed it!

Okay guys, you got me :(

Was is my big grin or just the german accent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic