Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF uniform question - Enlisted men's Class A dress coat

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day folks,

Just a quick question. Did enlisted men wear a belt over the Class A dress coat as officers did? I can't find any pictures of enlisted men in Class As to get an idea, but none of the ones I've picked up have come with belts, nor do they have loops or any way of attaching a belt. I'm guessing that the answer is no, but any confirmation, photographic or otherwise, would be most welcome.

*edit* I've found a picture of an EM Class A uniform in a collection, displayed on a mannequin. It has a leather belt, which wouldn't need to be attached to the coat. Was this the norm? EM wore a leather belt while officers' Class A coats had an integral belt, made of the same material as the coat?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

Wambleyburger

Familiar Face
Matt, The enlisted Class A uniform jacket did not have a belt. Also, the wool used for the construction of the enlisted Class A uniforms was quite different than that used for officers. It was made of a more course type wool, as the officer's uniform was made from what was called elastique fabric. Almost like a type of wool/polyester blend. These were two of the things that distinguished the officers from the enlisted men, being as there was quite a class disparity between the two. Hope this helps you out, Ted.

Gene

Practically Family
Though the EM's leather garrison belt was phased out early in the war, many kept them throughout because it added a bit of pizazz to the otherwise drab suit. And prewar you see leather "Sam Browne" belts worn by officers, which was common practice. The integral belt was actually first designed for the Army Air Force uniform, but was adopted for all branches when the Sam Browne was phased out.

So the answer to your question is actually yes and no haha.

cco23i

A-List Customer
Gene is correct. Late in the war you will STILL see enlisted in many different theaters wearing the garrison belt out on the town. It made you look snazzier than with no belt.

Scott

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Early war EM coats were of different design than later jackets. They had, IIRC, "bi-swing" backs and metal hooks to support the leather garrison belts. As noted above, some men wore the earlier jackets, when they could get them, to look extra snazzy when "walking out".

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner