Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAF N-3B parkas - Let's talk about them!!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's our very own Michael A in a post-nylon USAF military N3B.

33008637938_be477f9967_k - Copy.jpg 46159056614_9616d5961c_k - Copy.jpg 46159057644_d48c527a52_k - Copy.jpg 46159058164_e148e74791_k - Copy.jpg

Kestrel452

New in Town
Hey lads. Doesn't look like this has been talking about yet. Does this photo represent what a genuine, modern produced N3B tag looks like? How does one ascertain the date on these? If I recalled correctly, the vintage ones can be dated by the two digits in the middle of the DLA number.
s-l1600.jpg

Kalmer

One of the Regulars

Cornelius

Practically Family
The genuine Cold War issue N-3Bs are incredibly warm - like, you could pass out in a snowbank overnight and survive. Definitely not an option as Fashion Wear for milder climes.

When I was growing up in the pre-cellphone era anyone with common sense around the Great Lakes kept one stashed in the trunk ["boot"] all winter long, Just in Case. I've worn them around Chicago in -25f [-32c] weather and been fine (though, of course, keep in mind I was properly layered, and not just throwing that on over a T-shirt). Always went for the cotton-blend shells, as the nylon ones are a disaster around any sparky bonfires.

How does it work? I'm not certain, but it seems to be an ideal combination of durable, wind-resistant shell and proper insulation as the interlining (perhaps wool batting, though I'm sure they went to polyester at some point). The hood design is also genius, and the ruff is not just for looks (though the officer's version did get coyote fur, with enlisted men assigned synthetic ruffs), as this 2004 scientific paper investigated:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...Inuit_fur_parka_ruffs_on_facial_heat_transfer

Peacoat

Bartender
Hey lads. Doesn't look like this has been talking about yet. Does this photo represent what a genuine, modern produced N3B tag looks like? How does one ascertain the date on these? If I recalled correctly, the vintage ones can be dated by the two digits in the middle of the DLA number.
This is a genuine tag. The SPO prefix started in 1994. The contract for this parka was awarded in 2003.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been wanting to ask this for a good while: how warm is this so-called extreme cold weather parka?
I live in southern Canada and these parkas are too warm for most of winter. Unless you live in Alaska, or spend a lot of time in the mountains or spend hours outside schlepping around the prairies in January, these parkas will be too warm for you (unless you want to wear only a t-shirt underneath).
I mean it doesn’t seem to come with any special materials or treatment, how does it help withstand some ‘extremely cold weather’?
I'm going to guess you live in Florida or someplace. That's the sort of question asked by people who know nothing about clothing or winter. I know that's harsh to say, but it's true.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The genuine Cold War issue N-3Bs are incredibly warm - like, you could pass out in a snowbank overnight and survive. Definitely not an option as Fashion Wear for milder climes.

When I was growing up in the pre-cellphone era anyone with common sense around the Great Lakes kept one stashed in the trunk ["boot"] all winter long, Just in Case. I've worn them around Chicago in -25f [-32c] weather and been fine (though, of course, keep in mind I was properly layered, and not just throwing that on over a T-shirt). Always went for the cotton-blend shells, as the nylon ones are a disaster around any sparky bonfires.

How does it work? I'm not certain, but it seems to be an ideal combination of durable, wind-resistant shell and proper insulation as the interlining (perhaps wool batting, though I'm sure they went to polyester at some point). The hood design is also genius, and the ruff is not just for looks (though the officer's version did get coyote fur, with enlisted men assigned synthetic ruffs), as this 2004 scientific paper investigated:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...Inuit_fur_parka_ruffs_on_facial_heat_transfer
That's right, they're made from pretty mundane materials. It's all about thickness of insulation and the tightness of weave of the shell.

Kalmer

One of the Regulars
I live in southern Canada and these parkas are too warm for most of winter. Unless you live in Alaska, or spend a lot of time in the mountains or spend hours outside schlepping around the prairies in January, these parkas will be too warm for you (unless you want to wear only a t-shirt underneath).

I'm going to guess you live in Florida or someplace. That's the sort of question asked by people who know nothing about clothing or winter. I know that's harsh to say, but it's true.

I don’t have any hands on experience of it, that’s why I said ‘it seems’.

So it’s warmer than most puffer/down jackets and shearling coats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had an N-3A that was unwearable even in the UK winter it was so warm. These days I make do with N-2A's & N-2B'S

ECWCS

New in Town
Greeting Ladies and Gent, I'm new here and glad to be aboard,

This is an interesting thread, I have been wearing the civilian versions of the N-3b since 1975, "Yes" I'm that old errr ish, There is one truly bomb proof "Alpha" N-3b that is 100% waterproof as in Fire hose waterproof and it is called according to the label "Parka, Extreme Cold Weather Alaska, It has a 70% PVC outer shell and has the brown Faux Fur Ruff with Black type faux fur Hood Lining, It has Square Cut Lower pocket Flaps and a smallish inner Radio pocket as well as the normal 5 pockets as per standard, This one is not shinny and it weighs a lot more than the Nylon versions, and it is in Sage Green, Colour wise it looks a lot like the Vintage ones when they were new back in the day, I Bought this one from Alpha UK,"No" I am not British, and I asked them about the Temp ratings and their figures are very conservative stating all Alpha N-3b's are rated down to -20*f / -28.88*c these figures are civilian ratings because everyone wants to wear a T Shirt underneath and not a full set of Combat Fatigues which is where the -60*f Rating comes from,

This Coat is the Beast as far as N-3b's are concerned, I bought this one back in 1997/98 and I have never been worn it out and is has never really been that cold, And it is still sitting in the Alpha Poly Bag, It has square/ cut button which are round of coarse with Alpha embossed on them, After reading all these pages I decided to try it on, Sitting dead still in front of the laptop and within 10 minutes I felt my back and shoulders Started to over heat with like a slight burning sensation, It's not really any more puffed up than any other N-3b and it does not wrinkle it crease like the Nylon versions, but that Heavy Duty Shell seems to add a fair bit of heat, The Flap that covers the Zipper is huge and just as Tough as the rest of the Parka and it measures 3 and 9/16" or 92mm wide, The Lining is in Sage Green also and made of that soft Nylon semi shinny fabric, This is a serious piece of kit, I tried it outside tonight in temps of 6*c and again it started to cook my back and shoulders so it was time to take it off again,

Because the shell is a fair bit stiffer than the Nylon N-3b's no matter if the Hood is up or down it always stays In place, No Wire Stiffener needed. The hood works really well as a high collar or a really solid Snorkel Hood, In fact the way this Parka hangs and stays put for the last 20 years I have judged all others compared to it, I also have a TNF Mcmurdo in OD, Nice colour and it is very warm but the sleeves are too narrow to wear my 1967 M-65 under it without the liner I tried it with a suit on and it nearly cooked me on a sub 0*c windy day, And the hood it totally useless, The wind whistles between the snaps so I got the Mrs to put double the amount on there and when you synch it up the wind comes blasting through Chilling your eyes from the side like Brain Freeze of the eyeballs, The zipper that attaches the hood is small/fine and won't stay done up and when the wind blows the Ruff hits you in the eyes so hard causing you to loose the sight in that eye for a few seconds as it then proceeds to attack the last remaining eye for some unjust reason, So as you can Guess I spent about $400 buck on this portable Torture Chamber and I am not feeling the Love for this OD Demon, I begged TNF to make some changes but they must of misread my Plea because on the MkII and MkIII models they made some changes ?? They Added an Ipod Pocket so now people can scroll through their music list whilst being blind at the same time, enough enough ENOUGH,

PS Sorry about that. LOLOL

Anyways the TNF was a bad investment So then I bought something Special, :eek: :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy