Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USN M421-A

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Haley Enterprises sells a nice copy of the M-421B on eBay, all sizes, for $110 with free shipping. I've got one and it's definitely worth the price.

Those do look nice! Unfortunately, with the house remodel money is tight. I hope they are still making them next year?

Biggles88a

New in Town
Thank you, D., for the swell opportunity on eBay. It arrived an hour ago, fit is perfect, all is well. I have a Buzz Rickson reproduction that wears just as nice. Make no mistake, those jackets are the most versatile in warmer climates if one doesn't want to leave the house without a flight jacket. I'll wear the hell out of this Ralph thing with some minor modifications. It's just a classic and wears well. Make no mistake, the cloth is thin, but wears splendidly. Again, thank you, D. My thirst for any M-421A or variants is quenched for now. Oh, for interested readers I can offer some size input (the way I judged this XL RL from Vintage Haberdashers on eBay): Issue G-1 is a mid 90's Cooper size 44, Eastman products I wear size 44, John Chapman's jackets in 46 and all Buzz Rickson's as well as this RL fit perfectly in size XL. I am generally looking for a shoulder width of 20 inches/ 50 cm. I am six feet with 200 pounds. I prefer outerwear a little, but not ridiculously close to body form.

Biggles88a

New in Town
Ralph Lauren repro
Thank you, D., for the swell opportunity on eBay. It arrived an hour ago, fit is perfect, all is well. I have a Buzz Rickson reproduction that wears just as nice. Make no mistake, those jackets are the most versatile in warmer climates if one doesn't want to leave the house without a flight jacket. I'll wear the hell out of this Ralph thing with some minor modifications. It's just a classic and wears well. Make no mistake, the cloth is thin, but wears splendidly. Again, thank you, D. My thirst for any M-421A or variants is quenched for now. Oh, for interested readers I can offer some size input (the way I judged this XL RL from Vintage Haberdashers on eBay): Issue G-1 is a mid 90's Cooper size 44, Eastman products I wear size 44, John Chapman's jackets in 46 and all Buzz Rickson's as well as this RL fit perfectly in size XL. I am generally looking for a shoulder width of 20 inches/ 50 cm. I am six feet with 200 pounds. I prefer outerwear a little, but not ridiculously close to body form.

HPA Rep

Vendor
While on this topic, what do you gents think of the successor to the M-421A, the AN6551? The back design is the same as the M-421A, but it has pencil slots in the left sleeve and, obviously, more pockets. These are more scarce than the M-421A in collecting circles. Buzz Rickson's made one years ago that was as good as their M-421A.

The M-421A lacked chest pockets largely because it was developed when the USN was employing the MkI life vest, but as they began to transition to the AAF B-4 life vest design, the ability to access chest pockets was then made much easier, hence a jacket design was developed to match the flying suits with their two chest pockets.

The AN6551 reflects utility and refinement, much as the AN-J-4 did.

an6551.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's a shame the OP, Baron Kurtz isn't around these parts anymore, that bloke could write an encyclopaedia about vintage clothing.

Mic

New in Town
I bought the Avirex jacket (above) on Ebay. It's a fine jacket, but with no pen pocket on the left pocket.
I have the Doursoux jacket too. The cloth is a bit thin. No inside pocket, no pen pocket and the the bi-swing back is faked (not functional). After all to much money for a weak lookalike. I can't recommand this jacket.
The WPG version is now on sale on Ebay. Just search for "M-421B". Unfortunately a bit pricey to order from Europe and I don't know the quality.
The Haley Aviaton version is really good. I own one and this is my best. Size L = 44, so be carefull if you order one. At the time I bought it, there was only one size available. I'm still looking for size M.
I'm always looking for resonable reproductions, but the market isn't overloaded. ;-)

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
Just dug this up. Was about to invest in a Buzz Rickson's AN6551, but they've sold out of all sizes but 36 in the uk/ Europe store. Anyone make a decent MIL-J-7758 other Real McCoy's?

Tempted by the Haley Aviation AN6651, but would like to see better pictures than they have on ebay- particularly the collar down and what the bi-swing back looks like on a human form, rather than a mannequin. Also does anyone know what zip they use?

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
Sorry to bump this, but this is a gap in the wardrobe I really wanna fill. I'm particularly interested in finding out more about the 4 pocketed style of cloth/ summer flight jacket as well as hearing any feedback on different repros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy