Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Enfield vs Aero Ace Cafe

schmitty8

New in Town
Thinking of getting either the vanson enfield or the ace cafe in black from aero. Vanson questions - can you customize the fit on the jacket and if so, where (vanson direct)? Is the enfield horse or steerhide? I have read something about a plastic zipper box on the Enfield......what on Earth is that.

For those who have either, which would you choose? I am trying to figure it out.....also thinking about HH Oil Pull - just got a sample and it looks sweet.

Schmitty

nevadapd

Familiar Face
I have a Vanson horsehide Enfield, but I'm pretty sure they come in cowhide too. I got mine in a standard size on ebay new with tags. The zipper is mostly brass including the box, but the pin at the end of the teeth that you insert into the box is plastic. All I can say is it's given me no problems. I don't know about Vanson's policies for custom-fitting jackets. I have an Aero Cafe Racer, but it's tan steerhide so I can't comment from experience on what the jacket is like in horse. It's also a fine jacket and the two of them are the best jackets I own. I did get a custo fit from Aero.

Peacoat

Bartender
Vanson does cow, and not much horse. I have the Enfield in cow, and it is a well made heavy duty motorcycle jacket. My size 44 weighs 6.5 lbs. When I got it a couple of years ago, I asked about the plastic box and pin. I was told they went to that type to solve some problems they had in the past. Since going to that construction--no problems. I have had no problems with mine and wouldn't even have noticed it had I not read about it here. I think the brass pin may have been bending because of the extremely heavy nature of the cowhide. I have had that problem with several jackets in the past.

As to fit, you can order a custom jacket or take a standard size. Either way, it will be a long wait as Vanson is a very popular brand. I did standard size and went one size up as I wanted to layer a vest or a sweater on cold days--perfect fit. It is a stiff heavy cowhide that requires a lot of break in.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I own both a Vanson Enfiled and an Aero Ace Cafe "Ace" Halfbelt. They are both fantastic jackets, and these are my observations:

Fit - The Aero will be fitted to your measurements - mine fits very nicely, and looks great on. It has room for a sweater, and think this is the nature of the 50's halfbelt cut taht this jacket is based on. I wish it was just a bit more trim, but I think the freedom of movement might suffer if it was. For what it's worth, I think I look the best overall in this jacket.

The fit of Vanson jackets varies from model to model (and depending on when the jacket was made), but I would suggest ordering your true size. I like the fit of my Enfield, but I asked for measurements of my specific jacket and bought it based on those measurements. The shoulders in Vansons tend to be narrower than on an Aero, so you may need an extra inch of sleeve length with the Vanson if you have long arms. The adjustment straps on these jackets are pretty comparable, but it's worth noting that the Vanson got more "hourglass" looking rather than "V" shaped when I pulled in the side adjustment straps. I didn't like that silhouette, so I leave the straps all the way out. Personally, I think the Vanson is a bit too big around the waist but not too overly large around my middle. The Vanson overall has that "just right fit - just enough room without being bulky or overly tight.

Freedom of Movement - The Aero is not binding, but the stiffer leather definitely needs more break-in. The arm holes are larger and lower, which causes the jacket to lif and creas more when you raise your arms. As freedom of movement is concerned, the Vanson wins hands down. The armholes are higher and somewhat tighter, and it is cut in a way that allows me to raise my arms without moving the shoulders - it's really remarkable. It was kind of a revelation getting this jacket because I could move so much better in it.

Materials - Both are made of thick beautiful leather. The Aero Horsehide is thick, stiff, smooth, and waxy. It feels very premium, and I tend to prefer the leather of this jacket as appearance and overall feel are concerned. The Vanson cowhide is more grainy, and a bit thicker, but softer and more pliable. The hardware feels top notch on both pieces. The Vanson zipper is larger, and has the "plastic" box at the bottom of the zipper. I have hear that this is to avoid scratching the gas tank of your motorcycle. I doubt it's a cost saving measure. Overall, the Vanson leather is very nice, but, IMHO, it's not as nice as the Horween leather Aero uses. However, it is functionally easier to move in since it is so supple in spite of how thick it is. Neither of these jackets feels cheap - I think a lot of this is my personal preference.

Country of Origin - Maybe this means something to you ans maybe it doesn't. Aero's are made in an old world factory in the countryside of Scotland. They are authentic, the genuine article, and represent a kind of crafstmanship that is rare in this day and age. Vansons are mostly made in America, and they are also beautifully crafted. However, Vanson has started outsourcing work to El Salvador, and I take issue with that when I am paying $500 for a leather jacket. It's worth asking where your jacket will be made when you order.

Incidentals - With the closing of Aero USA (Aero's US based dealer), you will need to order your jacket directly from Aero in Scotland. This is no issue as their customer service is great, but you will now most likely be responsibly for the cost of shipping across the pond, and the customs fees. This should tack roughly another $100 total to the cost of your order. If you buy a Vanson, I recommend going through a dealer like Logan's CLoset ( www.loganscloset.com ) This is significantly cheaper than ordering at full MSRP pricing direct through Vanson, and if you want something like, say, brown leather, you won't pay quite as much. Vanson charges a 15% upcharge just to change the color.

Price - Aero jackets used to be significantly cheaper than they are today. It's a shame, but I think the pricing is still fair for what you get. The Vanson Enfield is a very fairly priced jacket, and you'll save about $300 compared to buying an Aero. In my opinion, both are worth what you pay for them.

So which to buy? I think when it really comes down to brass tacks, the Aero is a premium jacket that can work well on the motorcycle. The Vanson is a solidly made jacket that is designed to work exceptionally well on a motorcycle. You can't really lose with either one, so good luck with your decision.

schmitty8

New in Town
I own both a Vanson Enfiled and an Aero Ace Cafe "Ace" Halfbelt. They are both fantastic jackets, and these are my observations:

Fit - The Aero will be fitted to your measurements - mine fits very nicely, and looks great on. It has room for a sweater, and think this is the nature of the 50's halfbelt cut taht this jacket is based on. I wish it was just a bit more trim, but I think the freedom of movement might suffer if it was. For what it's worth, I think I look the best overall in this jacket.

The fit of Vanson jackets varies from model to model (and depending on when the jacket was made), but I would suggest ordering your true size. I like the fit of my Enfield, but I asked for measurements of my specific jacket and bought it based on those measurements. The shoulders in Vansons tend to be narrower than on an Aero, so you may need an extra inch of sleeve length with the Vanson if you have long arms. The adjustment straps on these jackets are pretty comparable, but it's worth noting that the Vanson got more "hourglass" looking rather than "V" shaped when I pulled in the side adjustment straps. I didn't like that silhouette, so I leave the straps all the way out. Personally, I think the Vanson is a bit too big around the waist but not too overly large around my middle. The Vanson overall has that "just right fit - just enough room without being bulky or overly tight.

Freedom of Movement - The Aero is not binding, but the stiffer leather definitely needs more break-in. The arm holes are larger and lower, which causes the jacket to lif and creas more when you raise your arms. As freedom of movement is concerned, the Vanson wins hands down. The armholes are higher and somewhat tighter, and it is cut in a way that allows me to raise my arms without moving the shoulders - it's really remarkable. It was kind of a revelation getting this jacket because I could move so much better in it.

Materials - Both are made of thick beautiful leather. The Aero Horsehide is thick, stiff, smooth, and waxy. It feels very premium, and I tend to prefer the leather of this jacket as appearance and overall feel are concerned. The Vanson cowhide is more grainy, and a bit thicker, but softer and more pliable. The hardware feels top notch on both pieces. The Vanson zipper is larger, and has the "plastic" box at the bottom of the zipper. I have hear that this is to avoid scratching the gas tank of your motorcycle. I doubt it's a cost saving measure. Overall, the Vanson leather is very nice, but, IMHO, it's not as nice as the Horween leather Aero uses. However, it is functionally easier to move in since it is so supple in spite of how thick it is. Neither of these jackets feels cheap - I think a lot of this is my personal preference.

Country of Origin - Maybe this means something to you ans maybe it doesn't. Aero's are made in an old world factory in the countryside of Scotland. They are authentic, the genuine article, and represent a kind of crafstmanship that is rare in this day and age. Vansons are mostly made in America, and they are also beautifully crafted. However, Vanson has started outsourcing work to El Salvador, and I take issue with that when I am paying $500 for a leather jacket. It's worth asking where your jacket will be made when you order.

Incidentals - With the closing of Aero USA (Aero's US based dealer), you will need to order your jacket directly from Aero in Scotland. This is no issue as their customer service is great, but you will now most likely be responsibly for the cost of shipping across the pond, and the customs fees. This should tack roughly another $100 total to the cost of your order. If you buy a Vanson, I recommend going through a dealer like Logan's CLoset ( www.loganscloset.com ) This is significantly cheaper than ordering at full MSRP pricing direct through Vanson, and if you want something like, say, brown leather, you won't pay quite as much. Vanson charges a 15% upcharge just to change the color.

Price - Aero jackets used to be significantly cheaper than they are today. It's a shame, but I think the pricing is still fair for what you get. The Vanson Enfield is a very fairly priced jacket, and you'll save about $300 compared to buying an Aero. In my opinion, both are worth what you pay for them.

So which to buy? I think when it really comes down to brass tacks, the Aero is a premium jacket that can work well on the motorcycle. The Vanson is a solidly made jacket that is designed to work exceptionally well on a motorcycle. You can't really lose with either one, so good luck with your decision.

thanks for responding everyone. even harder now that I have seen the collaboration between aero and iron heart. i think that is what I am looking for. it is sort of liek the ace cafe, but just looks cleaner

IXL

One Too Many

Damn. Great post!!

Red Baron

Banned
Very interesting ideas from Jimmer. Very detailed.

Yes I tried on an Aero Ace one time. It pushed my neck forward in an uncomfortable way that felt like it was made for a hunchback to wear. The back of my neck felt pushed on, and it bunched up the shoulders. I do not ride a motorcycle so maybe I do not understand about these things. I like the collar of Enfield much better. It feels more natural.

I am not sure but maybe the Ace is better if one orders it from Aero as black vintage. It might feel better that way.

Speaking of Ace the Vanson Ace is very comfortable but too short unless you drive motorcycles on a racetrack and you are a speed racer. The beaded collar of the Ace Vanson is very nice. I recommend that jacket with extra long length as a custom order.

I owned the Vanson Ace a little while ago when I bought it from a friend who needed money at the time. Better than a pawn shop! Though I wish I did not sell back to him when he got the money to buy it back from me, but no, it was good to give him back his pride and joy even though I desired to keep it for my self, but could not be that mean.

That Ace was very nice jacket to wear for me. If I had extra money to burn right now, I would buy one in medium weight leather from Vanson with extra long legnth on it. Vanson is much more expensive if one does not live in North America.

nevadapd

Familiar Face
Peacoat wrote: "Vanson does cow, and not much horse. I have the Enfield in cow, and it is a well made heavy duty motorcycle jacket. My size 44 weighs 6.5 lbs. When I got it a couple of years ago, I asked about the plastic box and pin. I was told they went to that type to solve some problems they had in the past. Since going to that construction--no problems. I have had no problems with mine and wouldn't even have noticed it had I not read about it here. I think the brass pin may have been bending because of the extremely heavy nature of the cowhide. I have had that problem with several jackets in the past."

jimmer_5 wrote: "Materials - Both are made of thick beautiful leather. The Aero Horsehide is thick, stiff, smooth, and waxy. It feels very premium, and I tend to prefer the leather of this jacket as appearance and overall feel are concerned. The Vanson cowhide is more grainy, and a bit thicker, but softer and more pliable. The hardware feels top notch on both pieces. The Vanson zipper is larger, and has the "plastic" box at the bottom of the zipper. I have hear that this is to avoid scratching the gas tank of your motorcycle. I doubt it's a cost saving measure. Overall, the Vanson leather is very nice, but, IMHO, it's not as nice as the Horween leather Aero uses. However, it is functionally easier to move in since it is so supple in spite of how thick it is. Neither of these jackets feels cheap - I think a lot of this is my personal preference."

This makes me curious. The zipper on my Vanson Enfield has a brass box although the pin is plastic. Apparently other Enfield owners got zippers on their jackets with a plastic box as well. My Enfield is horsehide. Could it be that the cowhide Enfields get plastic zipper boxes while the horsehide Enfields get brass boxes? What gives? If size is a potential variable, my jacket is a size 50.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I doubt that jacket size has anything to do with it. I have two Vanson Sportrider jackets that are old enough to have actually been made in the USA. Both of them have all-brass zippers. Big, heavy zippers that look and feel like quality components.
I posted a few months back about A Vanson CHP that I ordered through Insurrection. They were a big help in ordering (I DO NOT recommend trying to deal directly with Vanson) and getting the jacket. We all knew it would be produced in El Salvador, regardless of what Vanson tries to get people to believe. It is just what I hoped it would be: heavy and well-made. When I posted about the jacket, someone said that the zippers on most of the riding jackets are now using plastic pins and boxes. I checked mine and, son-of-a-gun, plastic! A very heavy zipper...with plastic.
But you know what? Over 65% of all law-enforcement personnel carry a Glock handgun. Glocks are mostly made from plastic, err..., I mean "space-age polymer". And they work well. People can count on the plastic handguns to save their lives. I figure that Vanson sourced zippers from a quality maker, and might have even paid a bit more for the plastic boxes and pins. I have given my jacket quite a bit of use and just today, as a result of this thread coming to the top again, checked my plastic for wear: none.
My Glocks have no wear on the plastic parts either. And unlike some in LE, I shoot frequently. Todays high-quality plastics are not the same as the old stuff from thirty years ago.
Oh, and my jacket came with a "made in El Salvador" label, which was placed (where it would not be much noticed) under the jacket size label , right under that big sewn-in American flag patch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo