Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Help

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Hey gang,

I need some advice from y'all.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Vanson Model B jacket and am torn about sizing. Now, I know I could go custom, but I don't think I need custom sizing and I really don't want to spend the extra $ for it. I'm told Vansons run small so I'm torn between a 42 and 44. I wear a 42R suit jacket (42" chest 33" waist) and 35" sleeve length. My reference for off the shelf leather is a Schott 141 in a 44 which is a bit loose on me. I'm told that particular syle of Schott is cut big anyway.

I want a little wiggle room in it but don't want it to be too big in the waist. I'm going with this model (over a favorite here in the forums, the Enfield) just because it does have a trimmer cut.

So, any of you out there have experience with Vanson jackets, especially the B model?

For those that are interested I'm getting it in brown with a lightweight liner for SoCal weather.

Thanks in advance.
Aaron

jimmer_5

Practically Family
This is a tough call - I would strongly urge you to call Vanson and ask about the fit, cut, etc. Their sales guys are very helpful.

If you're judging the cut by the pics on their webaite, I don't think the pics represent the actual cut very well.

BTW, I didn't know that any of their jackets were stocked in brown leather - is this a lighter weight leather or is it the thick competition weight?

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
I've never tried on a Model B but I have tried on their sportbike jackets - you know the high-waisted ones with the forward rotated sleeves. Those were consistently a size smaller than expected and were especially tight in the shoulders. I don't know if the Model B is cut as aggressively as their sport line.

Call them up. I'm sure they can give you better advice than we ever could. Also, are there no Vanson dealers at all in your area? You could order one through a local retailer/dealership and the risk of mis-sizing would be transferred to them.

kyboots

Practically Family
Vanson

For what is is worth or if anyone really cares; I have the Enfield and it should be your exact size because of the generous cut. If you want wiggle room in the B I would get the 44 even though you most likley would look good in a fit 42 with your measurements ( but most likely not pratical for everyday use. )I have a brown and I was not aware of a difference so I will learn something here. John

jchosko

Familiar Face
i can't speak for the model b, but i have the vanson comet in a 44 and the enfield in a 42 and they both fit as though they are about a true 42 i would say. not sure if this helps...might just confuse the matter even more.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
captaincaveman1 said:
Call them up. I'm sure they can give you better advice than we ever could. Also, are there no Vanson dealers at all in your area? You could order one through a local retailer/dealership and the risk of mis-sizing would be transferred to them.

I've called up Vanson and am working with and online dealer and both have given me the same advice; the 42 will work but be a bit tight and the 44 will give me some wiggle room.

In my usual, neurotic, ways I wanted to get some more opinions before I pull the trigger. I'm leaning towards the 44 because I think it will fit fine once broken in, give me some layer room, and (this is the most painful part) if I gain weight I can still squeeze into it. :)

Oh, it's comp-weight leather. I've not heard good things about their mid-weight and I do want this for the motor scooter too.

As far as the color, don't even get me started on the shade of brown. Oy Vey!

53Effie

A-List Customer
My Experience

Hi Aaron. I have a Comet that is a 46 and fits me just right. My Highwayman is a 42 and most of the A-2's I own are 44's. I have an Ike jacket on order from Vanson and they recommended a 46 based on my experience with the fit of the Comet. I think sizing up is common with their jackets. I live in a cooler climate so I like to have enough room for a sweater. I wear suit coats anywhere from 42 to 44 depending on the brand. The 44's border on large for me usually. You are a little smaller at the waist, but upper body and sleeve length is the same. Hope this helps.

mh

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Aaronlowe said:
Oh, it's comp-weight leather. I've not heard good things about their mid-weight and I do want this for the motor scooter too.

As far as the color, don't even get me started on the shade of brown. Oy Vey!

Aaron -Sorry, but I may have to get you started on this - is the brown a darker brown, or the lighter "cognac" brown (called Octago by Vanson). Also, are they charging you more for the color? If you order direct from Vanson, colors other than black are an upcharge (about $50 if I remember correctly).

Also, who is your online dealer?

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
jimmer_5 said:
Aaron -Sorry, but I may have to get you started on this - is the brown a darker brown, or the lighter "cognac" brown (called Octago by Vanson). Also, are they charging you more for the color? If you order direct from Vanson, colors other than black are an upcharge (about $50 if I remember correctly).

Also, who is your online dealer?

The colors I've narrowed it down to are a G-2 brown and an "MI9" color. Both are darker browns. I've seen the Octagon and am not a fan of it (no disrespect to anyone who is). These color names are listed on the online dealer's website, and I think they are labled differently than on Vanson's (which lists colors by Pantone #).

I'm working with Dan from Loganscloset.com and I gotta give him a plug here. He sells mostly to the movie jacket crowd but is also a Vanson dealer. He's been great at answering all my questions and knows his Vanson products. Too bad he can't get me to the front of the line though. I gotta wait three months for it like everyone else. :)

As far as an upcharge for the brown, I don't know if I'm paying extra for it or not, but Dan is getting me the jacket at a much lower cost than if I bought it from Vanson direct. No complaints from me.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Hi Aaron, I have a Challenger 2 (which I am going to sell one day, I don't wear it enough)--different jacket altogether, but I am your size and I have it in a 46--which fits me best, although I could have done a snug (and perhaps better for riding 44), but the 46 allows for armor, etc., if I go that route. I would say 44 is safest--especially since that jacket has a liner.

Mark

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
I want to thank all of you for your responses and feedback. I've decided to go with the 44 and in the GA2 Brown color.

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for the UPS driver to show up........in JUNE!

Peacoat

Bartender
Aaronlowe said:
I want to thank all of you for your responses and feedback. I've decided to go with the 44 and in the GA2 Brown color.

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for the UPS driver to show up........in JUNE!

When I ordered my Vanson 12/12/09, I was told 2--4 months. So now they are telling customers it will be 4 months? They must really be getting a lot of orders if that is what they are saying.

Lama

New in Town
I just got a Comet in 42, and I must say it is snug, but I also have to say,for riding a motorcycle, snug is GOOD. Now if you want a dress jacket, then go one size up.

The B Model is a beautiful jacket, you will love it. Just be careful, if you REALLY want to use it for actual motorcycle riding, you may want to rethink your choice and go with a Long Comet, and also true-to-size.

The people at Insurrection Vintage in Seattle know ALOT about cafe jackets, more than anyone I know, and if you have questions, you should also ask them.

My $.02

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
When I ordered my Vanson 12/12/09, I was told 2--4 months. So now they are telling customers it will be 4 months? They must really be getting a lot of orders if that is what they are saying.

I was told 3 months, but I'm telling myself 4; so I'm not let down come May.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Lama said:
I just got a Comet in 42, and I must say it is snug, but I also have to say,for riding a motorcycle, snug is GOOD. Now if you want a dress jacket, then go one size up.

The B Model is a beautiful jacket, you will love it. Just be careful, if you REALLY want to use it for actual motorcycle riding, you may want to rethink your choice and go with a Long Comet, and also true-to-size.

The people at Insurrection Vintage in Seattle know ALOT about cafe jackets, more than anyone I know, and if you have questions, you should also ask them.

My $.02

Thanks, I like the Comet but this is going to be a multi-use jacket and I have to compromise a bit on the fit (and it has no handwarmer pockets). If I were to go pure riding jacket, I'd probably get an Icon "Dead Man's Hand" jacket. WAY Cool and functional.

South

One of the Regulars
I spoke to Kim at Vanson a couple of weeks ago about the delivery times on a jacket. She said they had had a little trouble getting hides that were good enough from their tannery. She said they had been having a big rejection rate and that had thrown production behind.

So far, it looks like mine will be a 4 month delivery (if it's not delayed further) and it was ordered about the third week in November (if I remember correctly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy