Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Horsehide

Working_Man

New in Town
These are some photos of my Vanson Enfield in oil pressed horsehide. Someone recently told me he heard that Vanson has Aero make their horsehide jackets. Has anyone here heard of this or is he wrong?
This jacket is so heavy and stiff I don't think it will ever break-in, I've worn it several times while ridding my motorcycle and it still feels like a suit of armor.
vanson3.jpg

vanson7.jpg

2004_0101magrack0004-1.jpg

Vanson.jpg

Working Man

WM
Nope Aero don't make em!
Gorgeous jacket,tho. IMO...Vanson is,also,top of the line. The Enfield being my favorite. Makes for a great MC jacket. I also ride a MC.
May I suggest getting a spray bottle...and misting the jacket untill quite wet..then wearing it around the house till dry! Do this a few times...and the HH will mold to your shape...and soften up. I've done this to my heavy HH Aero jackets when new...and it does do wonders!
HD

Working_Man

New in Town
Sounds like it's worth a try, I figured if I kept wearing it while rideing I'm bound to get caught in a downpour sooner or later lol, we have not had much rain this year though so the spray bottle may be the ticket. This thing is so stiff, if I zip it up I can't sit down without it chokeing me.

Working Man

Well..my good man...if that doesn't do the trick...Your Enfield is EXACTLY my size! I would surely take it off your hands for fair price....as a gesture of good will..but of course!
HD

Edward

Bartender
Beautiful Jacket..... One day when finances allow, I would love to acquire a black civilian-style Aero, they're great looking jackets. I love this style of jacket, so flexible, perfect for any situation in which either an A2 or a Brando-style mc doesn't fit! :)

Working_Man

New in Town
Well..my good man...if that doesn't do the trick...Your Enfield is EXACTLY my size! I would surely take it off your hands for fair price....as a gesture of good will..but of course!
HD

Always a possibilty HD, I have about ten cycle jackets, this one fits me perfectly but will take some serious breaking in.

Working Man

Working_Man

New in Town
Beautiful Jacket..... One day when finances allow, I would love to acquire a black civilian-style Aero, they're great looking jackets. I love this style of jacket, so flexible, perfect for any situation in which either an A2 or a Brando-style mc doesn't fit!

Thanks it is beautifully made and fits me well, I have another Vanson in cowhide that I wear a lot, it's a Comet model, a good bit softer.

Working Man

WM
Cannot contact you by PM as yet. Just out of curiosity...if you find time...could you let me know the sleeve length of the Enfield? From shoulder seam to cuff on outside of sleeve. I've oftened wondered if Vanson allows for extra reach for MC riding. Surely they do.....
HD

Working_Man

New in Town
Yeah HD, the sleeves are pretty long for the reach you need for rideing, this jacket is a size 42 and the sleeves from sholder seem to cuff are 26 1/2"

Working Man

Thanks,WM
Since MC'ing is Vanson's main concern...I figured they would realise a longer sleeve length. I'm 6'2"...and have a 34 1/2 shirtsleeve length...or 25-25 1/2" normal jacket sleeve length. In a MC jacket..usually a 26" fits me perfectly. The Enfield sleeve would be plenty long. Good to know. Rather a little long than too short.
HD

kbuzz

New in Town
enfield for non mc riding?

Ive been admiring the enfield from afar for a long time. Any opinion as to use for non riding? Could be a bit overkill.

I have a vintage vanson cafe racer and the thing is heavy heavy heavy....looking to replace it but if the enfield is just as tough...

Working_Man

New in Town
kbuzz said:
Ive been admiring the enfield from afar for a long time. Any opinion as to use for non riding? Could be a bit overkill.

I have a vintage vanson cafe racer and the thing is heavy heavy heavy....looking to replace it but if the enfield is just as tough...

Well aside from the break in that any heavy weight horsehide requires the enfield should make a fine everyday jacket in my opinion. They also make it in cowhide that requires almost no break in.

Working Man

dormicica

New in Town
help! - Enfield sizing

Hi Working Man, it seems you are the one to ask. I have always admired the Enfield Horsehide but cannot get ANY reply from Vanson as for sizing. I cannot decide what size to order. Usually I am just in between size 40 and 42, being 5 foot 8, 155 lbs., 40 chest, but big shoulder width: 19.5-20 inches. I wonder what the measures, most notably the seam to seam shoulder width measure of your size 42 jacket might be. Please help me as Vanson would not for some reason (they do not reply my mails). I will be unable to play the trial and error game from here in Europe. Thanks a lot.
Any other sizing hints are greatly welcome!

Peacoat

Bartender
I've tried a few things to hasten break in. Mist it and put it in the dryer to tumble with no heat. Mist the arms frequently and constantly bend them while watching TV or driving. Wad it up or roll it up and sit on it, changing the way in which it is rolled or wadded every thirty minutes or so. Do the same but put it under the mattress on one side of the bed, or in the middle, at night when you sleep. You will need an accommodating partner for this one. There will either be something between the two of you, or you will be very close together as the lump in the mattress will be too big to comfortably sleep on top of.

Others have suggested putting the jacket in the washing machine, and then putting it in the dryer on low heat--will cause some shrinkage. Or let it dry naturally after washing it for a while. I have never felt the need for this method, but others swear by it and say it makes the HH much more pliable and easier to mold to the body.

Whatever method you try, it will certainly beat just wearing it until the jacket is broken in; that may take years. Let us know how you are doing with the breaking in process.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I took a cue from Lost Worlds to wear it in the rain.

I've worn my FQHH Highwayman a bunch of times in heavy downpours. It doesn't hurt the leather one bit, but helps bring out the grain and conform it better to your body shape. No shrinkage at all, and the jacket keeps looking better.

After it gets good and drenched, I really flex my arms and stretch like I'm warming up for a run. I work it exceptionally hard, which I think would likely pop the seams on a cheap jacket.

Of course, I probably wouldn't do it at all if it wasn't a high quality FQHH. Don't know what would happen with a lighter weight/lower quality jacket.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
When I got my first FQHH jacket (a black highwayman) from Aero I asked Ken Calder about break in. He suggested hanging the jacket in a warm place, e.g. next to a radiator then wearing it. Apparently the heat helps to relax the leather and heavy waxes embedded in the FQHH so that it softens up faster. I don't have a radiator but I have placed my jackets over air vents when the heater is on and this seems to do the trick too.

dormicica

New in Town
Enfield size 42 measures needed!

Hi Working Man, if you find the time please help me out with giving the measures of your Enfield. I cannot get ANY reply from Vanson. I am just in between size 40 and 42, being 5 foot 8, 155 lbs., 40 chest, but big shoulder width: 19.5-20 inches. I wonder what the measures, most notably the seam to seam shoulder width measure of your size 42 jacket might be. Thanks!

Working_Man

New in Town
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I've been off-line for a while. I'm not sure exactly how you want me to measure but here goes. With the jacket zipped up and measuring from the top shoulder seam to seam across the back just below the collar is 19". Bottom collar seam to bottom of jacket 25 1/2". Shoulder seam to bottom of sleeve cuff 26 1/2".

Working Man

dormicica

New in Town
shoulder width of Enfield

Hi Working Man, and thanks for the reply. You helped a lot, revealing the fact that due to my 19.5-20 inch shoulder width I will need at least a size 42 of the Enfield – even if I am a size 40 otherwise. Enjoy your Enfield, it must really be a wonderful jacket! (P.S. I wonder why Vanson do not reply my mails at all. I have sent them quite a few queries, asking about actual measurements.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR