Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model J fit help.

Colin G

One Too Many
Good day. Long time lurker and first time posting.

I am interested in a Vanson Model J. I am looking at a size 40.

I am wondering if anyone here has one of them and can help or comment on the fit.

I have a Vanson model A in a 42 but it is too large in the chest and sleeve length so I don't really wear it and will unload it soon along with a size 42 Schott 689H that is also too large. I am unsure how the Model J fits and think a 40 will work. I am on the short side at 5' 8" with around a 39" chest, a longer body and shorter legs and a 158 LB weight. I spoke to someone at Vanson about my size concerns thinking that a Model J may be too long for my small frame. I spoke to a fella named Mike at Vanson, and he mentioned they could make it so it fit me and that interested me.

I am in Canada so shipping a jacket is pricey and then we get hammered with import tax and duty. It makes shipping a jacket back and forth kind of expensive to simply experiment with plus I pay about $80 CAD with insurance to ship a leather jacket back down to the USA. If I get an idea on fit it may save me on some postage.

I am thinking a size 40 but will probably need the sleeves shortened but won't know until I get one and try it on. I fear a 38 will be too small.

So, any opinions out there, on the Model J?

I also did just order a brown Model F in a size 40 from Thurston Bros so that may help in determining what I need in a Model J even though they are different jackets. Once I try the test jacket on to determine sleeve length, I'll be ordering it with a Model J sleeve and maybe one less chest pocket.

I need to revamp my leather jackets and get them all to a size 40 so they fit properly and I wear them more.

Last edited:

AllanP

Familiar Face
Isn't Vanson made in the US. You don't have to pay duty for that in Canada because of NAFTA. At least I think. You need to ask customs for a form for Vanson to fill out though.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I am 5'9, 40" chest, 180-185lbs depending on season and I fit in Size 40 Vansons with room for a heavy sweater. My experience with Vansons is also that they kind of relax with wear. My America jacket felt super tight when new, now I can wear a Sherpa-lined Carharrt Hoodie under it and zip it up. Since you are only 158 lbs but nearly same height, I'm assuming you are noticeably skinnier than me, so I believe you should go for the 38. Maybe it is safest to wait for the Model F and order after you see how it fits you?

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks. I did plan on waiting for the Model F to show before deciding what to do on the Model J. Hopefully it will arrive at the end of the week and I can determine how the F fits.

Online I saw an image of a Japanese fella wearing a 38 Model J. The models height and weight were listed. Same height as me but he was about 30 Lb lighter than me and it looked like a perfect fit on him so a 40 may work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner