Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegetable tanned leather care?

Metatron

One Too Many
Hello fellow members.

I have looked at various advice on leather treatment online, and it usually seems to be along the lines of 'just let it be, apply conditioner 1-2 times a year.'

Then it occurred to me the most common jackets are (as I understand it) chrome tanned and/or pigment dyed. This should presumably make them way more water resistant than veg-tanned leather.

So what treatment does a veg-tanned, aniline-finished jacket require? Do you apply leather conditioner every time it gets wet?

Peacoat

Bartender
If you ride, or are outside in the rain on a regular basis, and want a water resistant jacket, you might want to apply a coat of Pecard when the jacket begins to lose its water resistance. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about putting anything on the jacket for years and years, even if the jacket occasionally gets wet.

The time to treat is when the leather is starting to get dry. And for a new jacket, that will be a long, long time.

I was chatting with a member of the Schott company. I just got a naked cowhide Schott. She said to wipe it down with a damp cloth as needed. And, if it's going to be in rain, etc., I should apply a mink oil once or twice a year. If it's just "being worn" out and about, no need to do anything.
Just don't use silicone-based sealers as the leather's pores clog and it ruins it. I'm no expert, but I've owned leather boots, jackets, saddles, etc. for over 40 years, and one size does not fit all. You have to take each article and it's unique properties into consideration when making a choice.

Bix B.

New in Town
I just had given a veg tanned aniline finished leather jacket to a professional leather tailor. He told me that even if the jacket is worn on a regular basis, the leather should be treated once or twice a year. He said not rain but the sun with uv is the "most dangerous opponent".
Bix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats