Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VERY COOL Newspaper find

Dalexs

Practically Family
While I was having my garage demolished today (built in the early 30's)
I found a few old newspapers stuffed in the walls.
It was the shopping section from the "Boston Globe News."
Unfortunately, the papers crumbles in your handle it.

Enjoy
paper01.jpg

paper02.jpg

paper03.jpg

paper04.jpg

paper05.jpg

paper06.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Wow, that's pretty cool.

Too bad they are so fragile. You could really do something cool with them, otherwise.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
My brother has been helping tear out some walls in an early 1900's house. During the 30's it was lined with newspapers, and I got my brother to bring some home for me. They are in pretty bad shape but I can still read some parts. And, surprise! I found a safety pin pined into one piece ... This has vastly improved my knowledge of 30's safety pins:rolleyes: lol

Cool! :) I have a membership on Newspaperarchive.com (for my book research purposes), and sometimes I'll just go in a read the old papers! They have papers that date all the way back to the beginning of the 19th Century on there.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
That would be awesome if I found a 20s or 30s newspaper in my house or ANYWHERE! My grandmother gave me some newspapers from the 1910s and one from 1861! The 1861 one is very fragile, but it doesn't crumble to the touch -- yet.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
That would be awesome if I found a 20s or 30s newspaper in my house or ANYWHERE! My grandmother gave me some newspapers from the 1910s and one from 1861! The 1861 one is very fragile, but it doesn't crumble to the touch -- yet.

You just need to be willing to tear down some walls! Who knows whats in there...

I figure the guys building the garage would take a lunch break, read the newspaper, and when done, just stuff them into the cinder blocks and move on with their work. I found about 4 of them in total, but every one basically fell to pieces as they were handled. BUT were still legible as you can see from the above pics.

Dalexs

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Great find.

But on another note; I was shocked to read about a FL member tearing down an old structure to make room for some new modern monstrosity, especially after so many threads dedicated to preserving old buildings and topics such as “they don’t make them like they used to”. Shocked!:eek: ;) :p

-SH-

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Serial Hero said:
Great find.

But on another note; I was shocked to read about a FL member tearing down an old structure to make room for some new modern monstrosity, especially after so many threads dedicated to preserving old buildings and topics such as “they don’t make them like they used to”. Shocked!:eek: ;) :p

-SH-
I was wondering about that too. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy