Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very interesting article on Horween Chromexel...the pro's and the cons.

FredS

One of the Regulars
Interview with Phil Kalas from Horween
Want to know all about Horween Chromexel? The good and the bad? Then read this article.
http://www.bestleather.org/about-the-famous-chromexcel-leather-from-horween-tannery/

Some quotes
"What do you think are the best ways to use Chromexcel? I understand people use it more as a wearable leather than a structural leather, but then I also know people who use it in bags. Was Chromexcel designed for certain usage?

One of the original intentions for the Chromexcel leather was for usage in engine and motor seals. This is very cool because they were used for engine seals on Tanks and other heavy equipment during World War II. I personally like Chromexcel on a wallet and footwear like a boat shoe because the leather will mold and flex to its contents. Chromexcel is sometimes a poor choice for a bag because it does not hold its color very well. Due to the high grease content, the dyes/stains used to color the leather become very mobile and have a tendency to rub off on light colored clothing. Horween has developed some variations on the traditional Chromexcel such as Beaufort Chromexcel that has a lower grease content. The result is better for color crocking and the leather is a little drier in feel."

What are some ways in which Chromexcel would not be ideal?

"Chromexcel will scratch and scuff easily — any application where resilience is required I wouldn’t want to use Chromexcel. I wouldn’t use Chromexcel on any type of furniture/car interior or something that will be in the sunlight all day. The color would rub off on your clothes if it was a couch made of Chromexcel (although it would be ridiculously comfortable) and the sunlight would fade the color without a special top coat sprayed on the leather. I also believe that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Variety is good! A lot of people dislike the look of Chromexcel because it is a rugged/American type of aesthetic. There is a big prevalence for the polar opposite of this aesthetic: textured Italian leather. Neither is really better or worse but they are just a different aesthetic."

Nice 3 page thread from a Fedora Lounge member about his Johnson Leather jacket made from Horween Chromexel Black Steer
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...n-Leathers-Horween-chromexcel-overdyed-Jacket

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't think I like the idea of a jacket with coloring that is 'mobile'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy