Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very Warm Insulated Gloves

South

One of the Regulars
Can anyone give some advice on very warm, waterproof, insulated gloves? I bought some thick Carhart gloves that have been disappointing.

This is for weather in the 5-40F degrees range.

Thanks!

number6

Familiar Face
Gloves

Check out 'Black Diamond' gloves , a range designed for extreme conditions.

Paul.

MB5

One of the Regulars
For most of that temp. range I use Air Force mittens with wool liners. Though I am not certain I would classify them as waterproof. If you can get away without the dexterity gloves provide I would highly recommend switching to mittens, the difference in warmth is remarkable.

I have a pair of modern Blackhawk Extreme Cold Weather gloves that are waterproof, but they make my hands sweat if I wear them when the weather is in the upper temp range you provided, so my hands get cold inside the gloves.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Mittens for the cold

I too, wear mittens when the temps are really cold. This morning it is 0º here and the windchill is well below, and gloves just don't cut it for me. I wear a heavy deerhide shell with thick wool liners. I have never found a glove as warm as those mittens. If I did I would be wearing them.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I use Dachstein gloves. They're quite thick. Not sure about total dexterity, but I can retrieve stuff from my pockets...

I find them warm and breathable down to the -4C we've had in southern England at times over the past month or so. They're not so good in a biting wind.

number6

Familiar Face
Warm hands

South said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll need the dexterity of gloves, so I won't be able to wear mittens.

Best option is warm / roomy / waterproof mitts with a liner glove . You wear the mitts on a harness around you neck ,which allows you to remove you hands from the mitts whilst ensuring they ( the mitts ) are not dropped / lost . Having done the work you need to do wearing only the gloves you simply put your hands back into your mitts . Toasty!
You will probably have to make up the harness from nylon tape or even paracord. I am not sure if anyone sells them.

Paul.

cptjeff

Practically Family
For everyday use, I have a pair of leather gloves with a knit cashmere lining. Thrift store find. They're not thick or waterpoof, but they're enough for short excursions.

Now if you're talking about gloves for cold weather, I have a pair of RLX (ralph Lauren) leather ski gloves that I use for really cold days and well, skiing.

15°F here today, and I'm still wearing the thinner ones.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Hestra (http://www.hestragloves.com/#/en/start/) produce some well-respected, nice looking warm gloves. They have some models which are smarter than others - the Lars Falt model is supposed to be very good for cold dry conditions which require some deterity.

If you don't need something which looks 'classic' then I have found Mountain Equipment Hard Ice gloves to work well when dexterity is required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic