Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vest, Shirt, Pant and Fedora Combo!

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
Well guys it's time that I need to buy a decent set of clothes for my trip to vegas coming up in a few weeks. I was going to buy a 3 piece suit for the trip but my current budget just will not allow it. Instead I have decided to just wear a nice pair of dress pants, black dress shoes, and dress shirt with tie. I would also like to buy a single breasted vest as well to match the pants and a nice matching fedora to go along with it. I think the vest will help a little without having to buy an entire suit with the jacket which I cannot afford right now.
Does anyone have any advice on where to buy this vest and what to buy as far as brand wise goes and also color combos?
I'd love to see some pictures with different color combos such as grey pants and vest with black shirt, fedora and shoes or all black with red tie and such... Pretty much any combo that would look good and match!

Thanks in advance!

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
Also, I forgot to mention... Any info on how a vest is supposed to fit exactly would be great. I believe wearing a belt is not supposed to be done while wearing a vest? If not then are braces (correct term?) or suspenders the best option? As far as pants go, if I am not wearing a belt can I use regular dress pants with braces?
Sorry for the stupid questions guys but I am new when it comes to formal or nice dress clothing since I am always working outside on vehicles and never in an office or go out where I need a suit or nice clothing.
Pretty much I am just looking on what to wear, what kind of SB vest to get and what color combo I need.

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
Well thanks for the help anyways guys. I decided to go to Mens Warehouse today and get a wool charcoal grey with lighter grey pinstripe 3 piece suit. They had a deal where if I buy one the second is only $100 and my cousin came along to buy one as well. Supposedly it was regularly just under $500 but I got the whole deal for $160 for the pants, jacket and vest plus other charges to get it tailored which I go in tomorrow to have done or this mourning I should say.
I will post pictures soon. It's not "vintage" exactly but it's what I could afford right now. They did have a nice wool suit in a dark brown with some kind of design in it (can't remember exactly) but gave it a nice vintage look. It was on sale for $450 so I couldn't afford it.
Anyways I am happy with the purchase, now all I need is a fedora to match. I also still need to learn the different era's and how suits looked for each era. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like you did alright.
For future info I recommend Merona vests from Target. They have more of a vintage style and are a good price.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
Well I did not get the entire suit, only the pants and vest. The guys there lied to me several times and I caught them doing it. I went ahead and got a Jones New York charcoal and grey pinstriped vest and matching pants. I will wear it with a black shirt and a black, red and grey tie. I researched online about Mens Warehouse and their brands of suits and found that they are junk and for the price (unless on sale) they are not worth it. Also found out that most people who got tailor work done there were not happy and they do a bad job. While I was in the store a guy came in and mentioned how they did some pant work for him and 2 weeks later all the stitching had come out. I read about this online and when I heard someone in person say it, that confirmed to me that I will buy my pants there and have a higher end shop tailer them for me.

I will check the Merona vests out for a budget deal. Sometime after Christmas I'd like to invest in a nice vintage suit, possibly early 20s, or a 30's-40's. Hopefully I can buy one for about $550 or a little less but do not know if that's much too low for one. I was told by a friend a few years ago that every man should own at least two suits. I have NONE so I figured that now since I am not growing much more it's time to buy a few.
One last question for you if you do not mind... When did pinstripes become popular on suits, either wide pinstripes or narrow?

Thanks again!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This is pure speculation on my part, but I reckon pinstripes came in during the 1910s and 1920s. I don't recall any photos or anything like that which shows pinstripes on suits before those dates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic