Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Village Hat Shop

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
San Diego isn't into "real" hats very much. My first real hat was a Resistol Western hat (my Bluegrass days) back in the early 80's from Western Hat Works. The store is now "Hatworks", dropping the Western, since they have very few, and there are stores in El Cajon that cater the Western Wear. That's where the only hat repairperson works from.

Sorry to hear the selection at Hatworks was limited. I only spent 10 minutes there and thought the selection was good. Shows what I know.

Ralph

ortega76

Practically Family
I have purchased a Jaxon Monk and several other caps for myself and some caps for my wife and son. Quality is fair to good, by no means great. I am not complaining, as I view a fur felt hat priced at $48 a good deal. I bought the Monk as an inexpensive way to try out a pork pie. I liked it and now I'm looking to upgrade. The caps are fairly inexpensive and work great as fashionable daily wear caps. I also love the selection of caps for my stepson!

I order on-line. They deliver promptly and pack well. I've had no errors in my order. All told, I'd give them a rating of 3 out of 5 stars.

Vilhat

New in Town
Hi -

I have followed this thread with great interest. [Note to moderator/adminsitrator: If you deem that it is inappropriate for me to get into this discussion, I understand. However, I will try to be informative and responsive and not be an advertiser. If you think I've failed, just don't post.]
I am the founder and owner of The Village Hat Shop. I want to set the record straight on a few on the points being discussed. It's true that we sell novelty/costume/historical hats. But we work very hard at offering a great selection of dress hats for men also. As I write this, we are carrying over $124,000 at retail in Stetson and Dobbs Hats. Borsalino stock is currently over $40,000 at retail. Borsalino has told us that we commit to more straw hats in the USA than anyone else (I believe this is not the case with felt). Borsalino's are mostly men's fedoras - high quality genuine Panamas for the most part. Also, we are very proud of our fur felt Jaxons - not very expensive, but great quality for the price (that is the goal for this line - our own). It's true as some postings have indicated that this merchandise is spread out over four locations. It's true that the better men's hats - as a percentage of our inventory - are mostly at our Hillcrest and Sacramento stores. But, all locatinos have a good selection of better quality merchandise. Ask for Mike Lau in Long Beach, Viki Spector in Sacramento, Andrea Zeidell at Seaport Village. These people are our managers and can show you the right fedora hats. If you are at Hillcrest, a lot of people can help who are very well versed in better goods - including myself (Sorry that someone had a bad experience with someone on the phone here at HC.)

One more point about Sacramento. We purchased Ramsey's a few years ago. The only area of that store that may be a bit weaker under us than Ramsey's is women's dress hats. I know exactly what we inherited when we bought the store. We have significantly more merchandsie than Ramsey's did (except for fancy women's hats.)

Thanks for all this great conversation. It is invaluable for us to see how we are being percieved by serious hat customers. It is hard - impossible? - to have multiple faces all at once. It's true that we want our Seaport and Long Beach stores to be perceived as fun places. Sounds like we need to figure out how to send a "serious hat place" message with it.

Hats is where it's at.

- Fred

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Welcome vilhat! :D
For my experience with VHS, I bought the jaxon bogart and was very pleased at what I got for the price. I can say that being gray with a black band has cost it wear time now that I have one of Art's hats, Which with that hat it would not matter what other hats I have they will come in line after Arts!lol :D I also have bought quite a few caps in different sizes for myself and my family. All have been well worth what I paid and I have received emails on everything.
-John

Jfala

Familiar Face
Since I started this thread, I need to contribute now post-VHS experience. Fred, first let me say welcome, from one "noobie" to another. Thank you for posting and helping to define the different qualities of your various locations. I did not have a chance to go into the Seaport Village shop but I did visit the Hillcrest shop yesterday. The Hillcrest store was a fantastic shop for my novice eyes (I am not saying more experienced buyers wouldn't enjoy shopping there :) ). The selection was great, there were many hats out on the floor, but the "better" hats were kept in the back. The saleswoman was very knowledgeable about the store's stock and after asking me what I wanted in a hat presented me with a few options to try on.

I ended up purchasing a Stetson Royal Temple in Mink (don't worry I will post pics shortly). For my first fedora, this is a great hat, soft and firm with a center bash and front pinches. Really nice, and very comfortable. I was also provided with hat care instructions and purchased a hat care kit, complete with brush, hat cleaner and scotch-guard like spray.

All in all a wonderful shopping experience, and I highly recommend this store if you are in the area. They did also seem to have a nice selection of Panama hats, and was told that more will be coming in at the end of March.

Fred, I don't remember the woman's name who helped me but her sales ID is #156 (if that helps you). Please let her know that she made my purchase easy and enjoyable.

Thanks.

- Jeff

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Glad to hear from VHS. I have purchased many great hats there at a good price. At one point, they had the Seaport Village shop and one way up on the 4th tier in Horton Plaza. Then, the Horton Plaza store closed and the Hillcrest store opened, which was all right with me -- I lived in Hillcrest.

San Diego has a lot of tourist trade and also a not-too-friendly-to-hats crowd, unless you live in East County and wear cowboy hats. I figured from day one That VHS, in order to sell their quality hats, had to also sell to the general public, or else they could not survive.

I was happy to have them sell the cheaper hats, also novelty hats, because early on, I bought two Borsalinos from then, plus a black Bogart fedora when they were Biltmores rather than Jaxon. I also have a Jaxon fedora, can't recall what kind. I also have a hemp-made Tilley hat that I bought in the Hillcrest store.

We have one hat shop here in Des Moines, not open to the public except part of a Saturday, weekdays by appointment only. I have not been there, will probably drop by some Saturday. MY feeling is that there will be sign that says "free estimates cheerfully given." Or not.

Everything else here are ballcaps. And more ballcaps.

Boy, I would love to have a Village Hat Shop here, costume and cat-in-the-hat hats and all.

karol

PS -- I was told when I moved to San Diego that the people there like to have costume parties. VHS sells costume and re-enactment hats as well.

citRon

A-List Customer
Vilhat- Welcome! It's good to see those in the business actually take an interest in the customer base.
Can I suggest/request a Jaxon Iconoclast in the color that is shown on the website? A caramel-ish, dark copper...the actual color is a lot darker brown. That hat would also probably sell well in other colors...

Vilhat

New in Town
Getting this feedback from serious hat people is invaluable - thank you. Jeff -next time you are in the Hillcrest shop, please ask for me as it would be a pleasure to meet you. [I'm still feeling a bit skittish about posting at this conversation; it doesn't seem completely fair, or right, or something. If anyone wants me out, just say so. I will understand. I'll be brief.]

Thanks again for both the positive feedback as well as the very constructive criticism. I will forward this entire chat to all of our stores. citRon - I'll have the Iconoclast image redone. I'll also ask Bruce Zales, the designer of the Jaxon line about other colors that may be coming. Perhaps he'll post here.

Thanks for appreciating hats. They're great items of apparel, aren't they!

- Fred

Jfala

Familiar Face
Fred, next time I am in SD I would be happy to pop back in and say hello. I echo citRon's sentiments that we appreciate your participation in quality discussion as well as your insight on hats. Please continue to contribute.

:)

- Jeff

ed_bollix

New in Town
Fred and hat peeps,
I have been following this thread, as well as most of the other threads here, for a while. I didn’t chime in earlier as I didn’t want to sound like a VHS commercial and I am very new to the lounge. I have 2 Jaxon Fedoras and I wear them on a regular basis… though I favor my brown Safari II. I also have an Akubra Adventurer and several older lids. I was intrigued by the amount of information available at the VHS website and happened onto the Hat Blog one day.

I was delighted to discover the nature of the Jaxon name and that Jaxon and Village Hats are true supporters of animal rescue. Jaxon is named after the founder’s dog! It’s a charming story that you can read here. As someone deeply involved in animal rescue it is very unusual to find a small business actually interested enough in this cause to step forward and lend support. Village Hats does just that and my group was the beneficiary of they’re generosity before I had spent a cent with them. Needless to say they have a customer for life. I plan to purchase an Iconoclast and a Bogart when they have them back in stock in 7-5/8.

There you have it, my .02. I truly enjoy it here in the Fedora Lounge and Fred; I don’t think anyone in the world can fault you for wanting to learn more about your customers and prospective customers. On a lighter note I play in a Celtic band and my son, our mandolin player, ordered a fantastic green Fez from VHS and couldn’t be more delighted with the hat!

Sincerely,

Ed

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ed_bollix said:
I was delighted to discover the nature of the Jaxon name and that Jaxon and Village Hats are true supporters of animal rescue. Jaxon is named after the founder’s dog! It’s a charming story that you can read here. As someone deeply involved in animal rescue it is very unusual to find a small business actually interested enough in this cause to step forward and lend support.
Talking of bollix... Aren't Jaxon hats made in China?
What guarantees do you have that the fur in that felt
isn't dog and cat? A dollar sent to China is not a dollar
for good treatment of dogs. Sorry, but I'm a big dog fan
and I've read and seen a bit about how dogs are treated
in China and the products that come here for dogs and
made from dog fur.

Apologies in advance if I misremembered that Jaxon hats
are made in China.

ed_bollix

New in Town
I'll be interested in Fred's comments to the above statement. Truth be known I object to all animal cruelty... I have serious issues with all animal products including rabbit, beaver and meat. Pick your battles, I save cats.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Fred, it's a pleasure having you here.

Please feel free to comment or answer any questions from our members as that's what this place is for. We have many manufacturers or "reps" as members and since we have over 7000 members it's a good place to get a feel for the current market and what people want. The only thing asked is that there be no blatant advertising of your product in your posts but please feel free to contact MK when you feel it would be good to advertise via a banner ad etc.

My last visit to San Diego I was able to see one of your stores ( don't remember which district ..just a wild eyed tourist) and found a reasonable selection but I'm probably one of the harder people to impress so I didn't see any "had to have" hats. That said, very nice store!!

Ande1964

Practically Family
Great to have you here, Fred!

I've visited the store in San Diego, and found it quite nice. I also like your site, which is attractive and easy to navigate.

I've flirted seriously with buying a Jaxon from you guys online, but have run into the 7 1/2 barrier on the Monk and Bogart models (I wear a 7 5/8). Still thinking about the Detroit.

Anj

Vilhat

New in Town
Art -

Thanks. I'm trying to be very respectful of the fact that this is a place to have a conversation and not a place to sell. Please let me know if I screw up (or simply take down the post if you think it's inappropriate). I have contacted MK about advertising and have exchanged emails with Cheryl about this yesterday.

Hard Stuff -

Most everyone at this thread seems interested in better quality felt fedoras. Those of you who are interested in animal rights should know you are primarily buying rabbit fur felt. There is no getting around the fact that the felt is made from rabbit pelts. I've seen them up close, and in China. The hats are not made from dog or cat fur; you should have no concern with that. Rabbit fur felt hats have been a very tough issue for me personally. I opened our first store in 1980. Better (read "fur felt") hats are an important part of a good hat store. Isn't that what you guys have been telling me for days?! However in 1991 after reading James Rachels CREATED FROM ANIMALS: The Moral Implications of Darwinsism, I became involved with the animal rights movement [Ed speaks to this in his post]. To make a long story short, we have had many internal discussions about whether or not to give up selling fur felt hats. I have argued that we ought to be leaders in created better and better qualities of wool felt and give up fur. Many here think I'm nuts and that to give up selling fur felt hats will undermine our business and our livelihoods. I rationalize - and I do mean rationalize - selling fur by understanding that everyone is drawing the line on this issue at different places. Feltfan may choose not to buy fur felt hats from China because of their animal rights policy (although they are not using dog or cat). Ed draws the line somewhere else. My guess is that most people at The Fedora Lounge, who love better hats, have no problem with fur felt.

Anyway, I'm rambling too much. You get my point. I hope I've addressed the issues above.

Thanks - chatting with hat lovers is great.

- Fred

Stoney

Practically Family
Vilhat said:
Art -

Thanks. I'm trying to be very respectful of the fact that this is a place to have a conversation and not a place to sell. Please let me know if I screw up (or simply take down the post if you think it's inappropriate). I have contacted MK about advertising and have exchanged emails with Cheryl about this yesterday.

Hard Stuff -

Most everyone at this thread seems interested in better quality felt fedoras. Those of you who are interested in animal rights should know you are primarily buying rabbit fur felt. There is no getting around the fact that the felt is made from rabbit pelts. I've seen them up close, and in China. The hats are not made from dog or cat fur; you should have no concern with that. Rabbit fur felt hats have been a very tough issue for me personally. I opened our first store in 1980. Better (read "fur felt") hats are an important part of a good hat store. Isn't that what you guys have been telling me for days?! However in 1991 after reading James Rachels CREATED FROM ANIMALS: The Moral Implications of Darwinsism, I became involved with the animal rights movement [Ed speaks to this in his post]. To make a long story short, we have had many internal discussions about whether or not to give up selling fur felt hats. I have argued that we ought to be leaders in created better and better qualities of wool felt and give up fur. Many here think I'm nuts and that to give up selling fur felt hats will undermine our business and our livelihoods. I rationalize - and I do mean rationalize - selling fur by understanding that everyone is drawing the line on this issue at different places. Feltfan may choose not to buy fur felt hats from China because of their animal rights policy (although they are not using dog or cat). Ed draws the line somewhere else. My guess is that most people at The Fedora Lounge, who love better hats, have no problem with fur felt.

Anyway, I'm rambling too much. You get my point. I hope I've addressed the issues above.

Thanks - chatting with hat lovers is great.

- Fred

Thanks for being so candid with us Fred. Everyone is welcome to express their views on such topics here, but I'm sure you won't find too many folks on this forum who are opposed to using rabbit, beaver ect to make hats. I do think I would draw the line at Dogs and Cats though...:rolleyes:

Jfala

Familiar Face
As has been stated, everyone has their line somewhere. I too am against animal cruelty, but would be a hypocrite to say I was against fur felt as I love a good steak as well as leather shoes and belts.

I hope that this thread doesn't devolve to anything past hats and hat making. ;)

Fred, just wanted to let you know that I am loving my hat and have been getting many compliments. Thanks again.

I do have a question for you: is there a level of hat or range of hat that you won't carry or is too expensive for your constituents?

- Jeff

Vilhat

New in Town
Jeff/Stoney -

Thanks for getting us back on track (I just didn't want to hide from the hard questions).

We'll sell hats at any price point. We are always looking for the best quality at the best price or price level. We sell $1,000 Panama fedoras for example (we argure that they are the same quality as others sell for 3 times the price). We have sold $5,000 Stetson western hats too. Generally speaking, our most expensive fedoras - both felt and straw - are Borsalino from Italy.

- Fred

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran