Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage 1940's hair style

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Hey guys would appreciate a little help here... Been sporting a pompadour for a while and ready to try something a little more dapper and polished. I'm wanting to get it cut right so I have a nice razor sharp side part that I can slick back over the top flat or in a forelock... Any tips on how to tell the barber to cut it. I have really straight hair that should work in this style... I've had a couple of people tell me to have the barber cut the bangs at a angle so the hair is made to only be parted on one side.. not sure about this.. any tips would be appreciated in regards to length, technique etc...

Mike.....

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
I've found the best thing is to find a few photos of someone from that era with the hairstyle you want and bring'em in. Most real barbers shouldn't have a problem with it. I just moved away from the white walls myself and told my barber we we're leaving the 50's and going back to the40's. I got lucky, he understood.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First rule...

...never cut the top! I let my top grow, grow, grow, (ok sometime the ends are trimmed!). When I comb forward, the longest ones are down past the tip of my nose. Then I tell the barber to only shorten the sides and back. This is reminiscent of the WWII german soldier cut we've seen posted here a few times. This way I can slick it back, part on either side or down the middle. I just use mouse while it's wet and spray it after it's dried a little. Works for me day in, day out! ;) When it starts getting loose, those longs ends hang down, and I have to sweep them up out of the way like in the 'movin' pitchers'!

-dixon cannon

Wild Root

Gone Home
Last time I was in the chair, I asked for an old fashioned taper... he gave me the best 40's hair style I've had! The "Taper" is known today as a "Fade" but, an old barber should know this. I only go to old barber shops... don't like them overpriced parlors... no thanks!

Get a "Taper" and ask the man to leave it long on the top. It should come out nice; you can comb it back or part it, works either way!

=WR=

Zach R.

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
I just use mouse while it's wet and spray it after it's dried a little. Works for me day in, day out! ;)

Any particular kind of mousse?

I've been using Royal Crown pomade and its getting pretty tiresome to try and wash it out(plus, for me, its really only good for a day or two at most before I have to take it out and put more in).

Dixon Cannon

Mousse

Zach R. said:
Any particular kind of mousse?

I've been using Royal Crown pomade and its getting pretty tiresome to try and wash it out(plus, for me, its really only good for a day or two at most before I have to take it out and put more in).

I know what you mean! Greasy kid stuff!! I've tried seveeral but the best so far has been TRESemme' European TRES MOUSSE (Extra Hold). It works well on it's own and you can rewet your hair throughout the day and recomb if necessary. I find hitting it with spray before I leave the house (and then keeping my hands off it!!) lasts all day!

-dixon canon

Wild Root

Gone Home
Use the 60 second workout!

46vitalis.jpg

Yes, Vitalis is perfect for hair! Work it in after you shower, apply and work-in to scalp, then, comb! Vitalis isn't like goopy goo or greasy messes... no, it goes on easy and makes hair healthy and gives a natural shine!

Try some today!

=WR=

PS. You can also use many store brand hair tonics that work the same way!

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
...never cut the top! I let my top grow, grow, grow, (ok sometime the ends are trimmed!). When I comb forward, the longest ones are down past the tip of my nose. Then I tell the barber to only shorten the sides and back. This is reminiscent of the WWII german soldier cut we've seen posted here a few times. This way I can slick it back, part on either side or down the middle. I just use mouse while it's wet and spray it after it's dried a little. Works for me day in, day out! ;) When it starts getting loose, those longs ends hang down, and I have to sweep them up out of the way like in the 'movin' pitchers'!

-dixon cannon
I agree with dixon. I have been sporting a 40s hair style for about 20 yrs now. I get my top really long to where the front can go to my chin if pulled down. I use royal crown to get the slick look. I have a taper down to a 1 1/2 setting on the buzz clippers. this cut allows me to eaither pull it straight back over the top or have a niffty part. I have very wavy hair but when it is long and with royal crown it lays wonderfully and people are shocked to see that I have waving hair when i dont wear the RC. I will usually leave it in for 2 days before washing it out and applying a new "coat". beware that RC will stain fabric, so becarefull where you lay your head.

Dixon Cannon

Wildroot! Vitalis!

Wild Root said:
Get Wildroot Cream Oil Charlie!
[IMGhttp://media.publicbroadcasting.net/wned/newsroom/images/1447549.jpg[/IMG]

=WR=

Man, these were staples in our house when I was a kid! We bought them from 'Irv' the barber and me and my Dad would go in together and each take a chair. Irv's son, Ziggy did my hair and he'd always lather me up and shave my neck. The hair tonics lined a shelf in a multitude of colors. "Hey, kid!.. care for a splash of Lilac Vigetal?"
9cbe100b.jpg

-dixon cannon

Tony in Tarzana

I did get some Royal Crown recently. A dab the size of a Tic-Tac seems to be sufficient, so the tub ought to last me until 2061.

I can't do the long-on-top thing, as the hair on top starts high on my forehead and peters out about halfway back.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I've been using Brylcreem and it works great, but it's not the same everyday, and since my hair is wavy, it gets a little fuzzy at the end, and it doesn't last long if I wear a hat.

http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/old_radio_commercials/Brylcream.mp3

Disturbingly heathly is right! It's shiny every time I try to wash it out at night, that's just plain scary!

I think Shemp was using Concrete, not hair tonic

and I like Wild Root's commercial better. :(

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Changes in humidity will change how your hair product works for you.

I swear by Murrays Pomade, a dab twice a week for control does the trick, unless I want to build my pomp up high (which I don't do so much anymore - greying pomps being a reduction in cool). For shine I add a bit of Royal Crown or Olive-On. On drier days - through the winter - I tend to use Lucky Tiger's 3 Purpose with oil - the greatest acheivment in men's hair history IMHO - or Wildroot, also a great product.

There is no one product suitable for every man and no one product suitable for every day. 40s (or 20s, or 30s or 50s) hair is not wash and go by any means, it requires a healthy dose of patience and a healthier dose of vanity.

dawson1.gif

Royal%20Crown%20Pomade%205%20oz.gif
3purpose.jpg
Shadow_Ad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy