Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bar Books and Must-Have Cocktail Books

Lancealot

Practically Family
Lancealot said:
I have seen numerous vintage bartenders books referenced in threads and thought it would be great to have a list here of the various volumes of mixing lore for us to reference and possible track down for our collections. So go ahead list volumes you have or have seen, want or own.

Cancel that missed this link http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37369

Bartenders feel free to delete this post.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Just the three for me, but they seem pretty comprehensive. Mind you I can't find Alamagoozlum Cocktail but I did locate the Hot Zombie in one.

Michael Jackson's Bar & Cocktail Book, 2001 edition. Originally called Pocket Bar Book from 1979

The International Drinkers' Companion, all you ever wanted to know about mixing over 2,000 drinks, 1978 edition

Burke's Complete Cocktail and Drinking Recipes, 1936 edition

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
The quintessential vintage book is the savoy Cocktail Book, IMO.

Am currently enjoying "Meet Me in the Bar: Classic Drinks from America's Historic Hotels" by Thomas Connors and Ericka McConnell

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Alex Oviatt said:
The quintessential vintage book is the savoy Cocktail Book, IMO.

;) Don't hate me, Alex, but a few years ago I had a 1930 British edition of the SCB that was sold by "Alexander & Oviatt" -- the store's label was inside the back cover. It now belongs to Maxwell DeMille, the fellow behind the Cicada Club.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
;) Don't hate me, Alex, but a few years ago I had a 1930 British edition of the SCB that was sold by "Alexander & Oviatt" -- the store's label was inside the back cover. It now belongs to Maxwell DeMille, the fellow behind the Cicada Club.

What a geat find! I have a first edition but nothing as exciting as one from A&O. If you still had it I might hate you, but as it is no longer yours I simply sympathize with you.....

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*HIC..!!*

*Bump* ;) (As it's just such a fantastic thread...)

SMOKINGJACKET013-1.jpg

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Ethan Bentley said:
Good choice Mr. Boston is great. I use mine a lot.

One I don't use so much but that has some interesting items is this:
Coolingcupstiny.jpg

Cooling Cups and Dainty Drinks by William Terrington.
Published in 1869.

It's how I found that the older, at least this one, Martini reciepe had a dash of orange bitters in it. It sure makes them smooooth, sometimes too smooth!! :D

Ravenor Bullen

New in Town
Best Cocktail Book?

I have always believed that the best book on cocktails is David A. Embury's The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks (1948) reissued in 2008.

The 2008 reprint edition can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Art-Mixi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257588829&sr=8-1

Here is some information on the author and the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fine_Art_of_Mixing_Drinks

And here is an interesting article on the Cocktail Renaissance which references Embury's book:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/772lyldx.asp?pg=1

I am so pleased that this classic has been reissued as original editions (dated 1948, 1952 and 1956) sell from anything from $50-500 used.

The reprint has been badly set with several typos, but it is the full text. Embury (born 1886, died 1960) is much opinionated but one feels that he knows what he is talking about.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Ravenor Bullen said:
I have always believed that the best book on cocktails is David A. Embury's The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks (1948) reissued in 2008.

The 2008 reprint edition can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Art-Mixi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257588829&sr=8-1
I am so pleased that this classic has been reissued as original editions (dated 1948, 1952 and 1956) sell from anything from $50-500 used.

The reprint has been badly set with several typos, but it is the full text. Embury (born 1886, died 1960) is much opinionated but one feels that he knows what he is talking about.

Great to see that a classic is back.

You can no more refrigerate a Martini than you can a kiss. Excellent advice.

Kinglsey Amis' "On Drink" is also a superb read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner