Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bar Books and Must-Have Cocktail Books

FedoraGent

One Too Many
You are forgetting the quintessential book..

Ted Saucier's Bottom's Up.

PADDY said:
Such as referring to what we call a 'lime' as a 'green lemon.' (Think I'll refer to Brits as 'Green Lemons' rather than limeys!! think it'll catch on?;) ).

Also, some of the little stories that accompany some of the drinks, and also the illustrations!

GClark

One of the Regulars
Not exactly a cocktail book, but the late Michael Jackson's books on Whiskeys (esp Scotch) and beer (esp Belgian beer) are well written, informative, and display his great love for the subject.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Vintage Cocktail / Drink Books

I know many have been mentioned in different threads as per recommendations. But I never could find a solid list of books for reference. Maybe this could be a sticky? What are your guys' and gals' recommendations?

OatMan

New in Town
here's a "new" vintage cocktail book I've used and it's great:

Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie by Ted Haigh

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
OatMan said:
here's a "new" vintage cocktail book I've used and it's great:

Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie by Ted Haigh

vintage-spirits.jpg

?

Any recipes from there that you can recommend?

JennyLou

Practically Family
I only have Vintage Cocktails: Authentic Recipies and Illustrations from 1920-1960 and The Bartenders Guide to Mixing 600 Cocktails & Drinks. I really need to expand my collection but at the same time I'm trying to cut back on drinking.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The two vintage cocktail books I have must've come with the booze my grandparents had for years:

The House of Calvert Party Encyclopedia (1960)
The Calvert Party Encyclopedia (1961)

In addition to cocktail recipes, there are ideas for hors d'oeuvres and seasonal party games, toasts for any occasion, and how to be a great party host.

There are little cartoons that accompany some of the features and this looks to be right out of the Don Draper era.

Does the Calvert company even exist anymore?

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Crosby Gaige's Cocktail Guide and Ladies Companion

Mike1939 said:
I keep Esquire's Handbook for Host (1953) near the bar. The chapter on drinks has never let me down.

Hear, hear!

But my very favorite is Crosby Gaige's Cocktail Guide and Ladies Companion.

dsc00344.jpg

My copy is from 1949. It's brilliantly funny and has great cocktail recipes, along with fantastic illustrations. Best of all, i picked it up at a used book sale for a dollar! I'd say it's a must-have, but it's out of print and quite pricey normally (i had no idea what a treasure i was getting when i got it).

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I have the Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide, edition published in January, 1966. However, the cataloging page indicates that while this is the 34th printing, the last time the receipes were revised was in the 16th printing of August, 1960.

Something I find invaluable is the illustration on the last page and inside back cover, of silhouettes of the various drinkware with their names.

The cover is red, and, considering the vintage of the book, I find it ironic that my "little red book" was concurrent with Chairman Mao's little red book.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Vintage Bartender Books

I have seen numerous vintage bartenders books referenced in threads and thought it would be great to have a list here of the various volumes of mixing lore for us to reference and possible track down for our collections. So go ahead list volumes you have or have seen, want or own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner