Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
That Target suit is cute and they have larger sizes, but I agree with KittyT--wish they had better colors/patterns.

I've got to get a new suit this year--my old one is rapidly giving up the ghost--but I'm so cheap! Even the $40 Target model seems spendy to me. But my last suit lasted a decade, so that's $4 a year for the Target one, $8 a year for an Esther Williams. Perhaps that'll make me feel better?

I bought two Esther Williams this year and so far, I am extremely impressed with them. The fit is very good and the construction seems excellent. They are made in the U.S., if that is a decision-making factor for you.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Ladies, that's something I wanna ask you about the sizing at esther williams: the smallest size is 34-26-36, while my size is more like 32-26-34 so I'm wondering how the fit would be? Was I right to understand from this thread that some of you buy esther williams swimsuits a size bigger to ensure the right fit? Because if that's the case than maybe the smallest size would fit me...That is, when and if I had the money for it...

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I also like one from samantha sage, and is on sale now (still expensive at 49 pounds), but the measurements are the same, 34-26-36, and is supposed to fit a UK size 8-10, so it looks like that is not gonna work for me, as I am more like 6-8. I really need an xs size I think...:(

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
crazydaisy said:
Ladies, that's something I wanna ask you about the sizing at esther williams: the smallest size is 34-26-36, while my size is more like 32-26-34 so I'm wondering how the fit would be? Was I right to understand from this thread that some of you buy esther williams swimsuits a size bigger to ensure the right fit? Because if that's the case than maybe the smallest size would fit me...That is, when and if I had the money for it...

I bought a size 10 in Esther Williams, and I'm about a 36-28-38...it fits well. I'm not sure if that helps you, but that's what I did...

I am a 42-35-44 and bought the EW suit in a 16 which was WAY too big. I exchanged if for a 14 which was better but I would prefer it to be a tad snugger. I usually fit a size 12 in suits off the rack. Had I gone by that instead of their measurements I may have been more satisfied with the fit. I think it depends on how snug you like your suit.

PS

A-List Customer
I still have the Target suit in a M available over in the classifieds. Make me an offer lovelies!

I've been trying to sell some of my stuff on Ebay lately. I had a few extra dollars from selling stuff that is now too big on me and I purchased this
559.x231.check.x6.jpg

The Esther Williams Classic Sheath.
Now if I only I could buy the courage to actually wear it out of the house. But I am buying my kids and I a pool pass this year. They shouldn't have to suffer because I hate my thighs.

JennyLou

Practically Family
In preparation for the summer I wanted to purchase a vintage style bathing suit. I found some on pinupgirlclothing.com that would even fit me and were reasonably price but of course I would have to save up for it and probably wouldn't get it in time for summer. So I decided to sew one myself using materials I already have. I'm currently working on it and I hope it turns out okay. Please wish me luck.

PS

A-List Customer
Jenny-
WOW! I am impressed. Best of luck!! I think the idea of making a suit really sounds awesome. Please keep us updated.

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
JennyLou said:
In preparation for the summer I wanted to purchase a vintage style bathing suit. I found some on pinupgirlclothing.com that would even fit me and were reasonably price but of course I would have to save up for it and probably wouldn't get it in time for summer. So I decided to sew one myself using materials I already have. I'm currently working on it and I hope it turns out okay. Please wish me luck.

What pattern are you going to use?

Gigi

New in Town
JennyLou said:

I considered making a vintage bathing suit for myself as well, but then I realized that I don't have that much faith in my sewing skills. I'm scared it'll rip while I'm out at the beach or something! Good luck with yours!!!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Anthropologie has some retro swim suits in their new summer line. They're a bit (some very) pricey but they look fun.
950006_sla_b
950007_sla_b
953029_bla_b
953028_bla_b
953308_041_b
953309_041_b

Sorry the pictures are so large!

Brooksie

One Too Many
crazydaisy said:

Crazydaisy, I have the exact same measurments as you and I have an EW swimsuit, it is a size 8 and it fits perfect. I have pics of me in it over on the pin up thread.

Brooksie

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just listed a couple of great vintage-style suits in the Classifieds for well below their retail price. I'd love for a lounger to have them!

PS

A-List Customer
I still have the Target suit in the Classifieds as well.

Has anyone tried the LandEnd suits,
20060425ho_lndsendskirt_230.jpg

I came across it looking the Press releases for the Jantzen suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred