Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Buttons Yay!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Todays theme: The beauty of basic buttons.

IMG_0088-1.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg

I love it when I find button families of plain basic buttons. The fancy buttons everyone wants and can find, but give me buttons that would have been regularly used as well, because they are always in short supply.

LD

sian kisses

One of the Regulars
Goldfish said:
Some Elsa Schiaparelli work...

6i87ro.jpg
xqfbmb.jpg

120nvpk.jpg

2yw7lzs.jpg

160eb8j.jpg
bgtd7d.jpg

ixe6gg.jpg

These are some of the most beautiful buttones ever...

i have some old post office and raf buttons which i treasure. pics to follow.
x

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cool! Id say these buttons are 40s. Please post a pic of yours.

My concentration for buttons is late 20s to early 50s because they seem not to be as documented as buttons earlier than that. I think it was their mass production. Their cheapness made them disposable, so no one bothered to savor them, except me :)

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
If this isn't allowed, please feel free to remove it, but for any one looking to expand or start their collection of buttons - vintage or otherwise - I highly recommend Etsy. The prices are reasonable and the sellers are usually clearing out their own personal stashes which means the buttons aren't just "Hey, I bet some vintage loving person would buy these!" but more along the lines of "Oh my goodness, these buttons are fabulous I must have them for my own!" and then later down the road, "Wow, I sure have a lot of buttons...I am going to share the buttony goodness with others who appreciate the charm and style of a great button when they see it!" :D

*Note - I do not sell buttons on Etsy, so please don't think I have any benefit by telling you to buy them there. I just think Etsy is more fairly priced than other outlets.*

Foofoogal

Banned
I sell on etsy but I like Ladyday adore buttons and cannot ever see myself parting with the really great ones. I will have to show some of my stash soon. I have a button book and still cannot figure them out though. so many different kinds.
They do have some nice ones there though.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kamikat, welcome to your newest obsession. It's all Lady Day's fault, really! ;)

Goldfish, I would kill for those fantastic swimmer buttons. Do you own any Schiaparelli clothing with cool buttons?

Vintage Betty

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Oops, so maybe they weren't exact. Or anything close. :eek: I remembered quite wrong! Here they are:

IvoryButtons.jpg

Unfortunately, the previous owner cut off the excess cardboard backing, as you can see. So I have no clue as to the maker. You can see leaves & branches on the backing, but the reverse side is plain. Can anyone help me date them?

Here's another set I got at the same estate sale:

LeChicButtons.jpg

The logo looks like the one in this 1951 advertisement. Note that these *aren't* glass - they feel like plastic.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Your buttons are pearl, basically cut out seashell. That puts them around 40s-50s.

Ah, La Chic.
Yes, I am very familiar with this brand.
Acutally this is funny, because they are todays theme:

The many faces of La Chic.

IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0382-1.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg
IMG_0189-1.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
50 years, no, but most 20s buttons are noticeably different. You have mostly bottom shank buttons that are very small in the 20s. A lot of times they were used for decoration as much as function. 20s cards have 9-16+ (older like circa 1900 button cards held more) buttons per card, because it was buttons or snap fasteners. Zippers gained momentum in later years :)

Here is an exception to the bottom shank rule, and other 20s cards.

IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0579.jpg

Also buttons for normal use became larger and, well cheaper. Gone was the opulence of glass, metal and wood. Plastic was cheaper. *sigh* :rolleyes:

LD

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love looking at everyone's buttons! Lady Day, how do you store your buttons?

Today's theme: White Buttons

(oops - got a pink one mixed in for variety)

buttons_white1.JPG

buttons_white2.JPG

buttons_white3.JPG

buttons_white4.JPG

buttons_white5.JPG

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lovely buttons, VB. I especially adore that etched glass number at the bottom.

I store my buttons mainly by the card. I put them in those snack sized zip lock baggies. If they are loose I still store them in the baggies but if they are scratch prone, Ill wrap them in clear plastic. I have them sorted by color. Well, I originally did. I outgrew my newest button box (big surprise, I know) and have three rather large boxes of baggied buttons, and tow smaller, no, make that three smaller boxes sorted by coat buttons, metal buttons, and fabric covered buttons.

*sigh* Im addicted. :rolleyes:

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
I guess they look similar so It's hard to tell when somethings glass vs. plastic, and size is hard to tell when your looking at a picture online. thanks :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick